True Story: Dog Eats Engagement Ring

Man's Best Friend

November 18, 2009

True Story: Dog Eats Engagement Ring

By David DiBenedetto

Recently I’ve heard a rash of stories about dogs ingesting foreign objects. Two weeks ago a good friend’s springer, Bailey, swallowed a cocklebur while on a pheasant hunting trip in South Dakota. The offending cocklebur lodged itself in the dog’s intestine and eventually had to be removed surgically. Thankfully, Bailey is recovering nicely. And over the weekend, a German shorthair owned by F&S Shooting Editor and Gun Nut blogger, Phil Bourjaily, ate an entire pack of sugarless gum, which can have dire consequences for a dog. Bourjaily spent a sleepless night watching his pup and was grateful for no adverse reactions except for minty dog breath.

But the story that surpasses all is that of a 110-pound Rottweiler named Luciano and his owner Deirdre Murphy Lofft. Seems when Lofft wasn’t looking Luciano sniffed out her engagement ring on the bedside table and decided to make a snack of it. After ransacking the house for a day the Lofft’s began to suspect Luciano and called the vet. They were told to watch the dog and its stools, which Deirdre did religiously. But after 48 hours of sifting through stools with rubber gloves and nothing to show for it they went to the vet’s office for an X-Ray (above), which revealed the ring sitting in the dog’s descending colon—next stop Mother Earth.

“When they showed us the X-Ray, it didn’t even look real,” says Deirdre, “But they said it would be coming out soon.” Unwilling to wait for the dog’s morning constitution, Deidre and her fiancé “put Luciano on a leash and walked him until he had to go.”

Sure enough, the ring had made the journey through the dog’s bowels. “It was yellow gold so it had lost some of its shine,” says Deirdre. “We took it to get professionally cleaned, but I don’t think we told them the whole story.” At their rehearsal dinner the Loffts propped up a framed copy of the X-Ray with the inscription “Honorary Ring Bearer.” Since the incident, which happened a couple of years ago, Luciano hasn’t swiped any other valuables.

Thankfully, Pritchard has yet to ingest anything notable or harmful besides a rubber band and a bunch of bark, but I’m sure some of you dog owners have some stories to tell. Feel free to share. This could get interesting.

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I was dog sitting for a boxer when he got into my dry fly box. I guess dubbing and hackle smells good to a dog. He suprisingly only swallowed a couple flys which came out a few days later. Lesson learned though!

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Three years ago at Christmas the candy dish with a whole bag of hershey kisses in the red and green foil vanished, we blamed the kids, but in march when the snow melted, there was a pile of foil wrappers where Pennie the lab did her buisiness.

from tony167n wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

My old yellow lab once got into the garbage and the vets surgically removed: one penny, a lot of aluminum foil, shards of glass the size of a half dollar, hair, and plastic pieces. thankfully she got better and lived the rest of her life in peace. We have many crazy stories about that dog but that is one of the weirder ones

from Quackwacker wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

maybe the guy ought to re-think getting married!

Good one!

Wes

from windsor6 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

My Chesapeake Bay Retriever Penny would fetch anything and everything including golf balls. She somehow managed to swollow one it made it 9 inches into her small intestines before getting stuck. Took her to the vet and had it cut out she lived 5 more healthy years before dying from bone cancer this past August. Chessies are the best all around hunting and family dog there is.

from Bruce E. Matthews wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Alright Dave. My little Brittany, Sunny, often lets us know she's not happy at being left alone by doing wacky stuff, but the best (or worst, if you were the one getting to clean it all up) was when she discovered a 3-month old gingerbread house--yep, icing, gumdrops, the real deal--we'd neglected to get rid of after Christmas. Sunny enjoyed that thing in every chair and every bed in the house. She must have carried it from room to room, mawing it up and rubbing slobber-loosened pieces everywhere. And then she hid what was left under pillows. God-awful mess it was, but just imagine her carrying it around, I mean, she likely couldn't even see where she was going.

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

My beloved Queensland Heeler learned how to open the fridge by pulling on the dish towel I used to hang from the handle. He once ate a three pound block of cheddar cheese, two pounds of lunch meat, half a loaf of bread (plastic and all) opened a beer and a soda and a pound of raw hamburger. VERY sick puppy let me tell you! He had to get his stomach pumped at the emergency vet. This did not deter him however, we used to go to the beach and Max would raid people's coolers. I even caught him once stealing a whole tri tip the little sh*t BEST DOG I EVER OWNED!!

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

In the fall of '08, our ten month old female Boykin began having difficulty passing stool. The vet said "as long as she continues to eat,just watch for something to appear". Eventually, a bit of rag and a pad of 0000 steel wool emerged with a little help from me. I had been cleaning some deer cleaning equipment and forgot to dispose of the steel wool. Some of it had been digested. A day after her passing,she appeared no worse for wear but has not consumed any more shredded metal.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

My friends German Shepard ate his spey line, sink tip and all. That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen watching him pull 150+ feet of fly line out of a dogs a$$.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

My old border collie,Jack was a huge culprit for eating what he wasn't supposed to and this was bound to lead to problems.First off,his rope toy went missing.We didn't acknoledge it at first,until we let him out.He was out there a while,and didn't come up to the door and scratch as usual,so something was wrong.The XL rope toy had made its way through his bowels and let's just say he needed some assisstance getting it out..

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

It's hard to treat them ,when you don't know what they eat.I was working out of town when my wife called worried that the dog was not looking well and urinating uncontrollably and in discomfort.Vet observed him for half a day and found some plastic in his stool, he felt better and they released him.I came home a day later and he still looked uncomfortable and wimpering now and then .I took him for a walk the next morning, when he stopped to do his business, I poked around and found a doubled thread 5 inches long with a sewing needle on it. If it wasn't for that thread that needle would not have made it out.Needless to say ,he felt a whole lot better after that.He still pulls on loose threads.

from Lyne Rabern wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Nerf Darts! Thats my dogs favorite non food item. I also suspect that his trash can surfing habit was to blame for weeks of throwing up and lack of interest in his water dish. My husband used to "dipose" of his used chewing tabacco in the trash. I finally got tired of cleaning up the trash mess and wondering where the dog was getting the tissues I found in his yard waste. Now my husband uses the covered trash, the dog is well and those issues are no more.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

my dog doesn't eat anything but we were fishing one time and a friends reel was not working. he pulled the line up and was laying on the side of the rock my dog got tangled in it and started to run around my friend had the hook in his hand but my dog tried to run away from him when my brother tried untangling him. the line tightened and the hook slid up and hooked him and almost neutered him if out know what i mean. it was pretty tough to take the hook out but we got it and i don't think he really likes the fishing pole anymore.

from Seronac wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I had a beagle mix one time who chewed into a bottle of drain cleaner. So, it was off to the vet. They said it took five people to hold her down to get the activated charcoal in her.
On a more disgusting note: One time, one of my kids accidentally pooped in his bath water (I think he was about 2 years old). We got the kid out so we could clean, scrub and disinfect the bathtub, and when we turned back to the bathtub, the poop was gone and the dog was standing there licking his chops. No more doggy kisses!

from abbierich wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

In the 1960's I lived in Mandarin, Florida. I got my first Weimaraner pup from a man there who saw how much I loved the breed. I still do, though my dog of choice now is the German Shorthair. Well, one day my Weimaraner puppy ate one of my toddler brother's socks. I saw him do it, and I freaked out and called the vet. He said that he could pump the pup's stomach, but that it would probably pass anyway. The pup did his business in a little fenced yard I had created outside my bedroom door. When I went to clean up his poo, I discovered the sock, and several bits of foil, some stones, and a green plastic army man...the kind who is kneeling with a rifle on his shoulder. After I saw that, I never paid any attention to what he ate, crab shells, dead armadillo, shrimp net weights. He was a great dog.

from HoJo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

We Have 3 Boykin Spaniels(they are sorta like peanuts---you can't have just one!) Anyhow our male will eat any type of cloth that he can get and he never comes to us without something in his mouth or a really guilty look that says"Gee, I had a hankie for you but I must have accidently swallowed it." If you would like to see a beautiful and talented Baby Boykin Check out our Rhanebeaux--she is #257,309 &389 on the Hunting dog contest photos,and is turning into a fantastic hunter.

from MidnightBanjo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

My dog will eat anything he can get in his mouth

from fishwife wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

Our Boykin, Woody, would eat whatever he could get away with - usually without lasting effects. One time, when he was about 10 years old, we found him in the dining room,staggering and drooling, pupils unequal, minimally responsive. A stroke? Poison? We rushed him 30 miles to the emergency animal hospital (it was Sunday night, of course.) I heard him vomit in the dark backseat of the truck. Examination of this revealed a large clump of slimy rubber bands. He yarked again in the floor of the hospital...how many rubber bands can a dog eat? There must have been a hundred. "just to be safe" we had him examined ($130) but he was good as new within five minutes of heaving the goodies up. Repeat after me, "They really are worth it, they really are worth it."
All kidding aside, he was the best little brown dog ever, and a mighty hunter. Enjoy your Pritchard!

from jamesti wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

i think the dog was agaist them! listen to the dog!

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from windsor6 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Bruce E. Matthews wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from tony167n wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Quackwacker wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

maybe the guy ought to re-think getting married!

Good one!

Wes

from coho310 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Seronac wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from HoJo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from Lyne Rabern wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from abbierich wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from MidnightBanjo wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

My dog will eat anything he can get in his mouth

from fishwife wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

i think the dog was agaist them! listen to the dog!