Discussion Topic: On Bowhunting For Burglars

Field Notes

December 17, 2009

Discussion Topic: On Bowhunting For Burglars

By Dave Hurteau

From United Press International:

A Washington state man used a bow and arrow to shoot a man who allegedly was trying to burglarize a vacant home, police said.

Scott Schwingdorf followed the burglar suspect and shot him during the course of the burglary. . . .

"It's people like (Schwingdorf) that make the streets safe. Especially when you're a victim already. It makes you feel a little safer when you got someone looking out for you," Chambers said.

So the question is, what type of broadhead works best for burglars: 100 grain or 125; fixed blade, replaceable, or mechanical?

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

He went straight Rambo on that perp! I am sure it only took one shot to bag that prize. Where do apply for that tag?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I would think one of those small game thumpers would be the first arrow out of the quiver placed right in the sack if possible, followed by a good ole field point to the leg to anchor them if needed. Broadheads would just tak the sport out of it don't you agree? I mean we are talking about a critter that can't deal with too much pain!

from Nick Jensen wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I want to know if he mule kicked after the shot and how hard the blood trail was to follow? Do you think he might have jumped the string?

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I approve. Broadheads might kill a suspect a little too easily. With rapid medical attention, a field point would probably be perfect. A gut shot with a field point would prove to be enough (likely) to stop the perp with pain and panic, but not damaging enough to kill the suspect, ensuring that he'll spend a nice, long stretch in prison.

One question, though: Where did Schwingdorf hang his treestand?

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

This is unethical, but who said anything about shooting to kill? Given the game I believe a proper shot placement would be in the hand. This would probably not kill the game, but would make said game think before touching something else that didn't belong to them.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from uplander12 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Guillotine to the twig and berries.

from Jason Hart wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If you used expandables would you complain about them not opening all the way??? I would prefer field points or the heads that Rambo used!!!! That would end the situation very quick.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

What if the guy is high on something, you are going to want to make sure you have a great broadhead. Maybe even bring back a good old fashioned tracking string.

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thunderheads 125grain would get it done fast!!!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I got to go none lethal here, a fully auto paintball gun with permanent red and purple paint dialed up to its maximum velocity.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Correction

I got to go none lethal here, a fully auto paintball gun with permanent red and purple paint dialed up to its maximum velocity backed up by a Springfield XD45!

from semp wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I have an anti-shark weapon that uses a cartrige the remins me of a 45-120. Special flat projectile and waterproof. Maybe adapt it to an arror shaft. Be something like Rambo had in one of those ' ... Blood' flixs :-D. But then the police may call it a 'destructive device'?

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I'm surprised but pleased that no charges were filed. Usually there's some baloney about "imminent threat to person" that allows criminals to get away with burglary without resistence.

Field point may work best but I think a broadhead right through the heart would have been the best result for society.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If it was my home, Rage 2 blades. In this case? Id use a blunt tip or small game point. Using deadly force to protect someone else's vacant home would likely make you a vigilante and lead to jail. Good neighbor, but i doubt the courts or police will see it that way.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I think deadly force is the only way to go. the last thing anyone needs is this idiot coming back with a lawsuit. Harsh? maybe, but these are harsh times.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Take that antigun crowd! An old, rusty Fred Bear Razor Head thrice dipped in a dairy lagoon would be my choice!

from nateshamp wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I am glad to see that there are still people that will stand up for what is right. Don't worry about a law suit and do the right thing. Criminals hurt in the act of a crime should have to forfiet their right to any civil law suit. Protect America, yourself and your neighbor.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

semp

Knew a fella in Okinawa Japan who was accidentally shot in the butt with a spear gun. The X Ray showed the point was fully expanded!

from Xtremebowhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

If it were me a bow would be my last choice. dont get me wrong, i think its kinda funny, but what if the guy was on something. You shoot him with a bow, make a poor shot and he pulls out his pistol and blows you away. I wouldnt take any chances.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

im with extreme. i love my bow and am more accurate with it than anything else i shoot but given the situation where i didnt know what this guy was hiding its hard to miss at point blank range with a 12 ga.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

and if i dont hit the guy after pumping 6 shots at him he deserves to return fire

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I hope they don't turn around and charge this guy. I don't know what the law is in Washington on use of deadly force. Here in Florida, you have to have a "reasonable fear" that it is necessary to prevent "death or serious bodily harm" or you can use it to prevent a "forcible felony" like rape or murder, but not burglary. I'll bet there would be a lot less burglaries if they changed the law. If anyone in Tallahassee is listening, I'd be happy to write the new law for you.

from IowaGuy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

This one makes me a bit concerned. Granted don't know entire story but I tend to think the shoot first for breaking into a vacant home is bit much. Don't get me wrong....break into my house while I'm home, I'll greet with some 00 buck. But, wonder if he called 911 and then confronted the guy with a drawn bow?

Speaking from personal experience. Sister relocated to a new town 130 miles away, don't know anyone 8pm friday South Dakota winter and she is already headed back to her old house for another load of stuff and my key doesn't work.

I called the local police (small town) told them who I was and was going to try to "break-in" dispatcher said ok, good luck, I'll let patrol know.

I'm working to pry a front window open with a screw driver with my truck lights turned and out of state plates. Few minutes later an older man comes out of a house a few doors down and asks me what I'm doing.......some introductions and explanations later, he offers to help....For the first few minutes of our meeting it turns out he had his hand in his pocket on a snub nose .38.

I'm glad this guy had a level head. I also know that in addition to calling local police I will also stop at a neighbor to two and explain who/what I'm doing before hand. BUT bottom line, I am glad my sister had a level headed neighbor who watched out for his neighborhood and did not decide to shoot first.

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I would say an incindiary (explosive) broadhead would work best. Or you could use those NAP Buckblasters.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

You ever go to a target range with the projection screen they give u dull field tips that would be like a BAD*S* bean bag gun only it would definitely break bones and probably wouldn't kill..

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jklandmdl wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I bet he thinks twice before touching something else that don't belong to him !!!

from swilmot1 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

MUZZY BAD TO THE BONE! bet you wont break in again!

from dbllung wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

You gotta watch these liberalbamas, They will want to ban bows next. Pry my bow from my dead cold fingers.
My congratulations to Scott for a trophy, I hope someday there is some sort of record book for this type of thing.

from Bella wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

As an old Scadian, It is bodkin points I'd reccomend.
Dillblung, Nobody is talking about banning archery, and they couldn't if they wanted to because a bow is a string on a bent stick! Quit with the inane liberal bashing already, it ain't germain and it is offensive. You aren't frightening anybody and if you were, It might be alarm that anybody as dll as you has access to weapons.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from texasjohn wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Myself, I always remember what my dear old dad told me. It's much easier to explain a dead body than to let the potential dead body explain for himself. Old, rusty Fred Bear Razorhead dipped... works for me.

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

It's so easy to make an exploding arrow. You don't need a whole lot of powder - just enough to splinter the carbon arrow so that the perp would be pulling out carbon fibers from his muscle tissue for the next 20 years...if he survives.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from seadog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

To OrangeNeck: I understand your passion & I share your hatred of burglars, but comments like that make us look like the bad guys. Using lawfull self defense weapons is one thing--inventing illegal explosive devices to "hunt" perps is another (even if they deserve it).

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Haha! I never said I would do it. But to point out your hypocrisy, you give those pepople commenting with Rambo-type exploding broadheads plusses, but you give my comment minuses.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I would use a 125 grain, my PSE Polaris, and I would use bait, a stack of $100.00's!

from Casey Bridges wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Im glad someone put a shaft up his ass bet he wont do it agin. Id do like the song says though but a little different. Shoot him with my ole 45 and then spit some beech nut in his eyes !!!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Buckshot works best no ballistic check can ID shot. Just don.t forget to keep the hull and relaod with # 9 shot.

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

hahaha now he needs to follow the blood trial

from uplander12 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Guillotine to the twig and berries.

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from IowaGuy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from nateshamp wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Nick Jensen wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

One question, though: Where did Schwingdorf hang his treestand?

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Xtremebowhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Jason Hart wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from NYhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thunderheads 125grain would get it done fast!!!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Correction

from semp wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

semp

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jklandmdl wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from swilmot1 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

MUZZY BAD TO THE BONE! bet you wont break in again!

from dbllung wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from texasjohn wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Casey Bridges wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

hahaha now he needs to follow the blood trial

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

As an old Scadian, It is bodkin points I'd reccomend.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report