My "Tilter" Buck Comes Home

Whitetail 365

December 14, 2009

My "Tilter" Buck Comes Home

By Scott Bestul

Back in July, my trail cams captured a neat-looking deer. The broad-bodied buck toted a dandy 6-point right side, but his left antler was very odd. Four small points sprouted from a main beam not much larger than a yearling’s rack, and a 4-inch “kicker” point grew back toward the buck’s hindquarter. Because the antlers were so imbalanced I nicknamed the buck “Tilter.”

I’m a fan of funky racks, and I decided if I ever got a chance at Tilter I’d try to shoot him. Of course, taking a buck’s picture and getting him in bow range are only slightly related, and I jokingly told a friend “That photo is probably the last I’ll ever see of that buck.” I was nearly correct, as neither I—nor anyone else who hunts that farm—had seen Tilter all fall.

All that changed Friday evening. The farm where I snapped Tilter’s photo is owned by my neighbor Vernon, and his brother Terry had a muzzleloader tag in his pocket. Vernon asked if I’d help Terry get on a deer, and I was happy to help. Vernon told me he’d found some good feeding sign in the same bean field that Tilter had enjoyed last summer, and a quick scouting run confirmed this. So I set up a snow-camo ground blind for Terry and after the afternoon hunt on his second day, Terry called to say he’d shot a buck, and would I help get him out of the woods?

Of course I recognized the buck as soon as we found him, and I was absolutely ecstatic. Not only had a good friend had tremendous success under brutal conditions (16” of snow and 4 degrees), but a deer I’d been looking for all fall had finally shown his face. Whether Tilter had gone nocturnal for much of the fall, or had simply relocated, I’ll never know. But the cool-looking buck had finally come home, and it was neat to see him up close and personal!

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

great story! any other pics?

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Your right that is an unusual Buck! I keep my eye out for an atypical, have yet to get one, then no more Horns for me ya can't eat 'em!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Is that considered a non-typical? He sure has a big body! What caliber is that muzzleloader? Looks like a nice gun!

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That looks like a bull not a buck. Huge body. Great job to him.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

nice buck, have a buck like that one that i'm after nice 4 points one one side and a horn that looks like a (j) on the other, congrats on the buck

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Nice Buck... Like the rack as well...Congrats

from Doubletough wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Wonder what he'd score?

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Three years ago while bowhunting I glassed a huge Kansas buck with a strange rack dogging a doe in a bean field. His left antler was normal and very massive with 6 points. On the right side there was only 2 points growing out of the antler base. Each had plenty of mass, curved outward like a normal antler and was about 15 or 16 inches long.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thats cool he is a hog weird that he sprouted such and abnormal rack.

from yohan wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

The anlers are unususal but her is a "a maybe why")

3 yeasr ago at the end of an extended season colder
than all Billy "H" I couldnt sit anymore,.. too cold ,.. so started moving along a corn field next to a woods,.. rolling terain, saw a big buck ,. too far away ,.. big sucker,. was trying to close to get a shot ,.. all of sudden a big 6 pt trotted out of the woods right in fornt of me ,. I could taste that deer befoe I pulled the trigger ,
40 yds moving R to L a shot I like ,steady trot .. held on the front of his chest just as I pulled could see he turned sharply right,.. down he went,.like he was pole axed ,. but I heard a sound like something breaking. Strange,. walked up to him,. could see he was still breathing but no antler on left side and his ear was notched and bleeding ( where the 12 ga slug cliped him ) , jacked another round in ,.. stepped back to neck shoot him shoot
He jumped up and ran crazely off into the oods.
Funny now but so suprized then I didnt even shoot ,..
lookd down where he had laid and there was a small amount of blood and the antler I shot off.
Knocked him out but thats all .
Bet that deer had a head ache for a week.
Anyway last year same farm early season ,.. thought I was sooting a BIG doe satning in eh thick stuff at 30 yds ,.. got up to the deer and one antler was very screwed up growing flat down the side of his face the other was just a point ,.. less than three inches
And then I noticed the ear notch where my slug had clipped him the year before, ouside edge left ear
Im no biologist but have heard that a blow may cause abnormal antler growth ,.. any one know ??

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I call them character racks or character bucks. Old fighting injuries to the pedicle. Injuries in velvet all make for interesting transformations in a buck's head gear. The also make for interesting stories interesting hunts and interesting trophies. I really enjoy hearing about and hunting for character bucks!

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That buck has a nice funky rack, but that thing has a huge body that dwarfs its head.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Nice. I'd like to see a picture that better shows the other "funky" side though. Big deer.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Awesome story.
The buck I shot this year was very similar, though not as big- it had an average sized 4 point on the right, and the left was an 8 inch stub with a paddle and three would be points started. I called my buck "Quasimodo".
He was big bodied and a great eater... and a very unique rack.

from BuckBoss wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

More pics would have been nice!

from baogamesonline wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

thanks for sharing this interesting, I will share your article for my friends and I know they will enjoy reading your articles. http://www.disneychannel.us/

from olinger302 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I have also shot an abnormal buck and I wish now that I would have done a european mount of it. The picture of the buck is in my photos.

from puffgamefriv wrote 2 years 1 week ago

Yes, I will share your article for my friends and I know they will enjoy reading your articles. Thanks

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

great story! any other pics?

from yohan wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

The anlers are unususal but her is a "a maybe why")

3 yeasr ago at the end of an extended season colder
He jumped up and ran crazely off into the oods.
Funny now but so suprized then I didnt even shoot ,..
Knocked him out but thats all .
Bet that deer had a head ache for a week.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Nice Buck... Like the rack as well...Congrats

from Doubletough wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Wonder what he'd score?

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thats cool he is a hog weird that he sprouted such and abnormal rack.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Awesome story.
He was big bodied and a great eater... and a very unique rack.

from BuckBoss wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

More pics would have been nice!

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That looks like a bull not a buck. Huge body. Great job to him.

from baogamesonline wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago