True Story: Pugs Eat Owner, Now Up For Adoption

Man's Best Friend

December 21, 2009

True Story: Pugs Eat Owner, Now Up For Adoption

By David DiBenedetto

From the truth is stranger than fiction (and sometimes more depressing) department comes a tale out of Papillion, Nebraska. It seems earlier this month, the owner of two pugs committed suicide in his home but didn’t make plans for his dogs, Harry and Sally, after he departed this world.

Dogs being dogs, Harry and Sally, left without food, eventually began to...

...feed on their owner until the body was discovered two weeks later. The dogs are now in possession of the Humane Society, which is offering them up for adoption.

Any potential owner will be told the pugs’ history. But not too worry, a Humane Society representative told the media, dogs “don't have memories like people.” Folks, I’m going to call that a big pile of Santa poop. I highly doubt that these dogs have garnered a taste for human or will be affected by the experience, but to toss out a blanket statement claiming dogs don’t have memories is a bit much.

I really do hope someone steps up and adopts these dogs.

But here’s the deal. If I happened to kick the rusty bucket unexpectedly and Pritchard was with me but had no access to food (say we’re adrift in my boat) I have no problem if she had to nibble on me until someone discovered her. Heck, I’ve been marinating myself in bourbon and Budweiser for so long I might even be tender…but I doubt it.

Call me sick, but I do just about anything to protect that dog, so becoming kibble after I’m gone doesn’t much bother me—as long a she doesn’t put a hole in my waders.

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

It is just their animal instinct. They were hungry and the only food available was their master. It is no different than when dogs roll in dead stuff or manure. That is just the way it is.

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

We ARE meat, right? Won't bother me if I'm turned into kibble.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Dogs are just smarter than most humans when it comes to survival, plain simple fact.

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

That's how I feel about my puppy. If she was staving, and I was dead, it's an open buffet.

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

In the end all life is just fertilizer or food.

Have to agree with you on their blanket statement. The Humane Society here has blanket requirements for the animals they place that don't always make sense. I sometimes question their knowledge and understanding about animals.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Sorry, I don't want my dog knawing on me after I die. yuck.

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Dave I think you are doing too much christmas shopping or something....what a weird topic LOL!! I can just picture a bloody snotted little pug munching a leg or something. So weird.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Bookie12, Maybe it's the holiday traffic...putting me in a morbid mood! Or you could argue it's just the circle of life. :) -d

from shane wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Wow - "dogs don't have memories like people"? Seriously? And we're the evil ones that need to have our dogs taken away, according to them? What an ignoramus.

They're so out of touch with real animals, yet they are the ones that "care" and "work for them" and "will save them". Right.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

You can't fool us Dave. It's the bourbon.

I asked my daughter who is a huge dog lover this question. Her answer was, "What's the difference between that and donating your organs so another will live?"

Hmm

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

They're doing what dogs do, scavenging. This is what these pugs' ancestors did to stay alive.

Plus, I have two(obese)pugs, Buddy and Milo, and they will eat anything!

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

thats cazy however if im dead i dont care

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Also, when I die(although that won't be for a while), I want compact body pellets made and I would like to be fed to the fish. Pugs and trout, they both eat, right?

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

The more I think about this ... just couldn't completely trust these dogs around a sleeping baby. Would get chills whenever one licked my face, and waking up to one nibbling on my toes?

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Only in America...

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

if i departed this mortal plain and my dogs needed to consume my mortal coil, so be it, chow down little buddies, i'll be dead and won't much care.

that being said, i don't know if i could adopt a dog that had eaten the rotting corpse of it's deceased master.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

MLH-- It gives new meaning to the phrase, "Biting the hands that feeds you..."

Buckhunter -- Sounds like you raised a good one.

Coho -- I've often joked with my wife that when I'm gone she should cremate me and put my ashes in a couple of offshore trolling lures...I'd love to be part of a spread in the bluewater...but compact body pellets? I dunno...

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

A friend, not knowing about this story, just sent me this link:

I'll never look at pugs the same again.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Haha thats awesome MLH. these are just dogs being dogs you cant blame them for being hungry and this guy didnt leave them any food (well he kind of did)so he deserves it. hope someone adopts them

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the laugh MLH.

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a paraplegic who fell asleep while his teething lab puppy was in the room and his wife was gone. Upon return, wife discovered pup had apparently been chewing on the man's toes. When toes began bleeding, pup began snacking, consuming three digits. Reportedly, the lady was horrified but the guy laughed and said "Damn! I've done become Alpo." I think this happened in Florida and I'm pretty sure the guy was a redneck.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

MLH-- That's classic. Still laughing. Thanks. -D

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I suppose it's proper to be good for something after you're gone, too.

Makes me want to rig up a "dead-man switch" on the food locker.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

there not cannibals its the same as giving your dog a bone from a pig or a cow they don't become aggressive towards cows or pigs when they see them its not the same but a similar comparison.

from hengst wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Just looked over at Sam (my dog) and told hime not to get any crazy ideas. I realy dont care what happens to my body after I am gone and If they creamate by the pound maybe it would save some money. Besides Sam has imho had worse things on his tounge lol

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Maybe that's why jill like's to lick my hand. She's just getting a taste, hee, hee.

from BrigMarine wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

haha this is great

from Sourdough Dave wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

First job out of the service was as an animal control officer. Of the wierd stories that that job generated this is the wierdest. I was called out in the middle of the night and when I got to the residence I met the victim. It was hard to look at his face because he was missing his nose. He was also missing a couple toes. He told me that he was sleeping on his bed with his loyal chow sleeping on the floor beside the bed. In the morning he swung his feet over and promptly the dog bit off his toes. He leaned over to see what had caused his loyal dog to bite him only to have the dog bite off his nose. He and his wife were held hostage on the bed for the whole day. Finally when the dog went to get a drink from the toilet bowl they were able to escape the bedroom. When I got there they had the bedroom door tied shut with a 1" manilla rope. I wondered what kind of beast I was up against and checked the load in my .357. I untied the rope and peeked inside to catch a glimpse of the dog. He glimpsed me too and attacked. I was able to bar the door and get the loop of my capture pole around his neck and snug it tight just as the dog burst through the door. At the end of my capture pole he did barrel rolls down the hall running up the wall across the ceiling and down the other wall. I finally got him out of the house and into my truck. The victim still concerned for his loving pet asked if I was going to put the dog to sleep. I told him not until a ten day quarantine to check for rabies. At that the blood drained out of his face and his knees buckled. Some dogs, chows in particular, will just one day decide they are not going to be the pet anymore.

from brw7979 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Interesting story. I wouldnt have a problem with my dogs making me kibble after I'm gone. Its just there survival instinct.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

My dogs respect me too much to nibble on me...?
I'm not so sure I like the way there looking at me right now.

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

It is not a matter of being unloyal or anything, they probably held off for days. I bet if your dog died and you could not eat anything you would do the same. Happy holidays!

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

kind of a eery story but I think I'd do the same, what's with you F&S editors and death. first petzal put's in the obituary and now pugs eating there owners, kind of random.

from norcalhunter7 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

wow this is creepy who would want to adopt dogs that had eaten a person!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

There is a similar story that happened here in which the dog was found almost starved but alive due to having water to drink from the bath tub. The owner aparently ran bath water, laid down on the bed, and suffered a heart attack. The man wasn't discovered for 10 days until concerned friends searched the home finding the man's dog laying next to their friend. His body had not been fed upon by the dog, but longer then 10 days maybe the dog would have been driven to do it?

from bjohnston wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

We ARE meat, right? Won't bother me if I'm turned into kibble.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

MLH-- It gives new meaning to the phrase, "Biting the hands that feeds you..."

Buckhunter -- Sounds like you raised a good one.

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

In the end all life is just fertilizer or food.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

You can't fool us Dave. It's the bourbon.

Hmm

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Plus, I have two(obese)pugs, Buddy and Milo, and they will eat anything!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

A friend, not knowing about this story, just sent me this link:

I'll never look at pugs the same again.

from Sourdough Dave wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Sorry, I don't want my dog knawing on me after I die. yuck.

from Bookie12 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

thats cazy however if im dead i dont care

from MLH wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Only in America...

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I suppose it's proper to be good for something after you're gone, too.

Makes me want to rig up a "dead-man switch" on the food locker.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

My dogs respect me too much to nibble on me...?
I'm not so sure I like the way there looking at me right now.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the laugh MLH.

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

MLH-- That's classic. Still laughing. Thanks. -D

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from BrigMarine wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

haha this is great

from brw7979 wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

from norcalhunter7 wrote 4 years 13 weeks ago

wow this is creepy who would want to adopt dogs that had eaten a person!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago