Update: Accused Poacher Says He Found Record 8-Point Dead, Pleads Not Guilty

Field Notes

December 11, 2009

Update: Accused Poacher Says He Found Record 8-Point Dead, Pleads Not Guilty

By Dave Hurteau

In case you missed it in yesterday’s Whitetail365 headlines, Minnesota’s Troy Reinke, who stands charged with poaching a now-famous world-class 8-point buck that he originally claimed to shoot with a bow on Halloween, is now changing his story.

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

In an exclusive interview with the Pioneer Press, Troy Alan Reinke repeated an earlier claim he made to investigators.

"I found that deer on my four-wheeler on the east side of the property where I hunt," said Reinke in his first statement to the media. "I didn't shoot that deer. I don't have any guns and I don't hunt with guns."

And in the very latest update, he has now entered a not guilty plea.

Also from the Pioneer Press:

Troy Alan Reinke pleaded not guilty in Goodhue County District Court to 13 counts of illegally taking deer. He is accused of killing the world's largest eight-point buck, in antler size, on Halloween night. . . .

Reinke was also given a public defender.

After entering his plea, Reinke refused to talk to reporters.

"My house is getting trashed. My car is getting trashed," he said. "I ain't talking to nobody."

from widebuck2009 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

#1. look at the GLOVES!!!
#2. Thats one fat Bigfoot.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Boo hoo.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

oh how sad for him maybe he should try telling the truth.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

In a couple of days he while plead guilty to shooting it with a shotgun, since he's running out of ways to kill/find a dead deer.

Nate

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Low life @$$

from Big O wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

And his friend Al Gore invented the internet, and "discovered" global warming.
PAY BACKS ARE A MOTHER !

from JohnR wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I say let the evidence decide. If he is really convinced of his own innocence, he can request a polygraph test. The guy doesn't appear to be the brightest lightbulb in the box and if so and he is guilty then the state should be able to prove it. This in light of the fact he changed his story.
If he's guilty he has to pay the piper.
What I find disturbing is his statement about his truck and his house getting trashed. Am I to suppose that poaching is bad but mob mentality is OK (ie vandalizing his truck and house).
I believe it is perfectly normal to be angry (even upset) about what this guy is charged with. The people who are trashing his house and truck however are proving themselves to be no better than him.
Sometimes I worry about our country. One caveat regarding the trashing of his truck and house; it may be the work of animal rights activists. Vandalism against those who provoke their ire is not uncommon.

from deeraddiction99 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

he is a disgrace to deer hunting

from northernmndeerhunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

It is truly unfortunate that such a great animal was harvested in such a disgraceful manner. It is disappointing at the very least.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

He's searching for a story that someone will believe. Wonder if the bullet in the deer and a rifle he owns have been checked ballistically? This may be why he's a-searching for a tale to tell.

from matt wasson wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

poor choices leads to a poor life...I wonder what worse finding such an animal, or believing yourself and the story you make up to feel better...he should call tiger woods for advice on lying

from widebuck2009 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

#1. look at the GLOVES!!!
#2. Thats one fat Bigfoot.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Boo hoo.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

oh how sad for him maybe he should try telling the truth.

from 60256 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Nate

from deeraddiction99 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

he is a disgrace to deer hunting

from northernmndeerhunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Low life @$$

from JohnR wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

If he's guilty he has to pay the piper.

from Big O wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

And his friend Al Gore invented the internet, and "discovered" global warming.
PAY BACKS ARE A MOTHER !