California Introduces $5 Game Warden Stamp

Field Notes

January 08, 2010

California Introduces $5 Game Warden Stamp

By Dave Hurteau

From The Modesto Bee:

California residents can now support wildlife protection by purchasing a special "Game Warden Stamp" from the Department of Fish and Game.

The $5 stamps were authorized by a new state law, AB 1442, signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in October.

California's game wardens protect wildlife and public resources and enforce hunting and fishing regulations. But warden numbers have been depleted by attrition. . . .

Money from the [non-mandatory] stamps will pay for training and equipment for game wardens.

Would you pay $5 to support wardens in your state?

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Of course I would! We need some around here...

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

...I just get so tired of every redneck spotlighting deer and shooting at them from the roads. Shooting turkeys with a rifle is pretty low, too, right alongside sluicing ducks on the water...

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

yup id pay 5 bucks to support the game wardens

from jamesti wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

that may be one of the only laws from the people's republic i'd like to see here in colorado. i'd buy three if it would put more game wardens in the field to stop people from decimating the fish populations as they have been here!

from ckRich wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I'd buy two

from country road wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

---In a heartbeat. Those poor guys are overworked, underpaid and certainly underappreciated and they need our tangible support.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

In theory it sounds great, I have not yet read the law- I would like to see that the monies collected would go directly to the program, not wasted in the general fund. I would like to see a requirement for out of state hunters contributing to the program also. maybe attach penalties to poaching laws to some of those fines going to the training of wardens.while we are at it, I would also like to see a portion of the fines of those convicted of drug manufacturing in public lands(parks,forests,etc) going to this cause. After-all this is what makes the job so dangerous.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I would not support it, that's what my multiple licenses pays for. And that cost has gone up in the past 4 years in CO, plus the Habitat Stamp program here is comepletly unfair in regards to forcing hunter/fishers to pay and letting every other joe schmo walk their dog near me for free.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

absolutely. we have incredible problems here in WV. the problems are vast and complicated, but more game wardens and resources for them would help.

from MLH wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I would rather see it included in license fees, but there is so much resistance to raising fees for any reason that increase are hard to get through. I am sure other states are watching this to gauge success.

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Only if the game wardens weren't anti-hunters disguised as a friend to hunters.

from cdavis1887 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

yes if i knew that's all it was going for, don't want to see it going towards anything none outdoors related

from jamesti wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

i agree, koldkut. the habitat stamps i buy every year are just another way for hunters and fisherman to get hit with additional fees(or taxes)! besides, if i'm buying two stamps a year, why do i still get charged to take my daughters in to RMNP?

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

When California opens up the mountain lion season again,maybe have some draw hunts if they need money.Where i live the Wardems are running New boats Multiple big outboards,new trucks,ATV's maybe California needs to talk to Alabama causes they are already licenseing the sportsman from the field.

from JohnR wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I think the problem is not about supporting game wardens and their mission as much as it is that Kalifornia has big money problems.
The license fees we pay are supposed to be part of the monies that are used to pay for and equip the wardens.
Why doesn't Kalifornia just offer a general conservation stamp to supplement any budget shortfalls in their Fish & Game Department?

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I support Game Enforcement...When I needed them they were there. So yeah I could see a reason for the stamp. Because it's optional for everyone not just Hunters and Fisherman.

It's better than a tax that the antis could say hey we pay taxes on those resources so we have say in hunting/ fishing.

It also beats a license increase that only targets Hunters and fisherman.

Hopefully that makes sense.

This way everyone can be involved by choice and ensure there are enough Game Enforcement officers out there to serve and protect the Recreationist, Landowners and Wildife.
As long as that is what the total amount of funds went towards the objectives of training, hiring and equiping the Game Wardens

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Yes. If it helps the people who help wildlife, I'm all for it.

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I would pay five dollars for the training of additional game wardens. They have extremely dangerous jobs.

from First Trog wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

To RJ Are you serious, I allready pay nearly $500 for a license And you want me to pay more? I think $500 should buy an awful lot of law enforcement. The problem is more likely it's inconveinient to enforce the law you have to get out of your climate controlled office or top of the line SUV and do some (gasp) hiking to catch an offender. I work in law enforcement and understand that not all are going to behave but don't think throwing more money at a department will miraculosly bring back the good old days of hunting and fishing.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I sure would.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

First Trog,
If you work in law enforcement then you know stereo typing wardens is silly. I bet you have heard your fill(no pun intended)of doughnut jokes. Just as there was a time that police were underpaid, wardens are not fairly compensated, and have had would should have been a wonderful job turned into a very dangerous one due to meth labs for example. I am not a fan of new taxes, I will compromise with you, have a portion of your stamp and license fees dedicated towards the warden program, then hold the states accountable.

from Eric Mills wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It's a pretty sorry state of affairs when the state government has to nickle and dime the public to fund its programs.

Here in California we have only 192 game wardens in the field, the worst ratio to population in the nation. Adding insult to injury, our beleaguered wardens make only 3/5's the salary of a Highway Patrolman, and are forced to take three unpaid furlough days per month. And the wildlife suffers accordingly. It's Open Season year-round for the poachers.

NOTE: The Jan/Feb 2010 issue of AUDUBON MAGAZINE has a great article by Ted Williams on how a very few states (esp. Missouri) have addressed the financial problems by F&G Depts. across the land. If EVERYBODY (and not just the hook 'n' bullet boys) had a vested interest in the environment, maybe we'd take better care of it. Recommended reading.

from Sourdough Dave wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Gotta love the Peoples Republic of CA. One of the highest taxed populations in the Union and they still need to ask for donations to manage fish and game resources. The problem is not revenue, but priorities.

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

As a non-mandatory stamp, I'd buy at least one, maybe more, possible one every time I go shopping at Bass Pro.
I buy duck stamps every year, and seldom go duck hunting. But the bean counters know that duck hunting is supported and pass that info on to those gifted people who represent our best interests (politicians).
So yes it's a recordable vote in support of game wardens and hunting and fishing in general, and those marvelous people who make the laws will know who to cater to.

from pigkillersrus wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I will support Texas game wardens till the end! I just wish they would focus on game law and quit worrying about what hunters do outside hunting. If wardens would focus on poachers and quit worrying about checking licenses and papers(which makes revenue) maybe poachers would actually think twice. After all isn't game conservation the whole purpose!

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

ericmills,
I did not understand your post. Were you complimenting Mo. or denigrating her. I don't read Audubon mag but I assure you our game dept is doing it right and have no need to concern ourselves with California or others with their problems.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Yes, if I thought it was going to be used only to pay for a GFD officer's pay. If I thought it'd get "swept" by some idiot in the state legislature up in the 'Valley of the Shadow of Death,' by which I mean 'Phoenix,' forget about it.

from JamesCh wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Great news for wardens. A wonderful idea championed by the Sportfishing Conservancy, who have received little to no credit for proposing this.
www.sportcon.org

from Winchester73 wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

Its not actually a stamp, its a decal that can be displayed in a car window. The name is a little misleading. Good program, I have on my truck.

from OrangeNeckInNY wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Only if the game wardens weren't anti-hunters disguised as a friend to hunters.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from cdavis1887 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Eric Mills wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Of course I would! We need some around here...

from dukkillr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

yup id pay 5 bucks to support the game wardens

from jamesti wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I'd buy two

from country road wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It also beats a license increase that only targets Hunters and fisherman.

Hopefully that makes sense.

from Joel Panian wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Yes. If it helps the people who help wildlife, I'm all for it.

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago