SHOT Show Report: The Ultimate Long-Range Scope

The Gun Nuts

January 20, 2010

SHOT Show Report: The Ultimate Long-Range Scope

By David E. Petzal

from JohnR wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

If I ever decide to become a sniper (in the legal sense) then I will consider mortgaging my house and buy one!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Did you get some autographed silk there Dave?

from focusfront wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I'm displaying my ignorance, but how do you properly mount a scope like this one that has such a huge bell and such a short tube? Whose mounts will get that thing up high enough to clear the rest of the rifle while grabbing enough tube to hold it firmly?

A 6 x 24 x 72mm? In the words of the drama critic, "For those who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like."

from Cbass wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I liked the look of it so much, I ordered one for my .22 LR.

from focusfront wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I'm going to put one on my Wrist Rocket.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

So what DOES it cost? I looked on the Zeiss site and the most expensive was $1300 or so.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Dave..you are a natural for TV; Brief scope discriptions and all!
Yea...and how much IS the MSRP for this honkin' scope?

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Just glad to know that DEP is still around, and has not been kidnapped by adoring Booth Babes. Scope is probably good for a lot more yardage than I will shoot, and takes a lot more cabbage than I want to part with. Very nice Zeiss rep, also.

from lyle gorch wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Hate to change the subject, but does anyone recall which outdoor catalog used to feature several pics of Bud Grant, the Vikings coach.

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Nice work, and one incredible scope. With, of course, an incredible MSRP.

Oh, and Congrats on the Gresham Award, Dave! Much deserved!

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

My 572 Fieldmaster doesn't need it but I'm guessing real world price at $2495. Jim

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Don't think I need it either.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Have you ever made a office supply run and walk by those $150 pens, I always wondered if they had spellchecker in them!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Surprised it didn't have a laser rangefinder in it

from OldSwede wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Hard to think of this as the "ultimate" scope once you've looked at a Sightron SIII 10-50x 60mm version!

from caanders wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Opticsplanet.com has it listed for $3999. The 1000 yard reticle looks sick! What caliber would everyone mount it on? Aside from .50 the next might be .338 Lapua or .338 Federal.

from Shootstir wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Ahh, so terrible that Zeiss has now come under the management of the marketing department. There is certainly not a market question that this product answers! In fact, I love how she says with a straight face (as she's looking into the camera): "...this is for that 'expert' rifleman who wants that bit of extra distinction..."

You know, for $10,000 retail- I can buy a lot of acreage worth a 'bit of distinction...'.

Sad, but a little funny too.

from Gary Neal wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Thanks for the post Dave. I've been looking for a some new long range tactical rifle scopes. Now I know where to find one.

from Rockett Singh wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I love it! The long range scope that my father gave me for Christmas has finally been out to rest. I think I'll give this guy a try, thanks!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Did you get some autographed silk there Dave?

from focusfront wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Dave..you are a natural for TV; Brief scope discriptions and all!
Yea...and how much IS the MSRP for this honkin' scope?

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Cbass wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I liked the look of it so much, I ordered one for my .22 LR.

from focusfront wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

I'm going to put one on my Wrist Rocket.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from lyle gorch wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Nice work, and one incredible scope. With, of course, an incredible MSRP.

Oh, and Congrats on the Gresham Award, Dave! Much deserved!

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Surprised it didn't have a laser rangefinder in it

from OldSwede wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from caanders wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

from Shootstir wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Sad, but a little funny too.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 12 weeks ago

Don't think I need it either.

from Gary Neal wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago