Bestul: I Like ‘Em Goofy!

Whitetail 365

August 12, 2010

Bestul: I Like ‘Em Goofy!

By Scott Bestul

Every year someone shoots a buck that earns the comment “that rack is way bigger than its score.” Which means, of course, that the Boone & Crockett scoring system doesn’t seem to give the buck adequate credit for the antlers it grew.

Well the buck pictured below is the poster child for such inequity.

This monster nontypical is alive, well, and living….Well, somewhere neither you nor I can hunt. It is a wild, free-ranging buck that I’m hoping will be tagged by a very good friend of mine who sent me this photo. Like so many hunters (me included) wonder whenconfronted by such a monstrous rack, my buddy asked “What do you think he’ll score?”

Well I hadn’t a clue, as my experience with bucks of this magnitude runs pretty thin. So I put the question to another friend, who happens to be a veteran scorer. And his answer caught me by surprise. Apparently, because this behemoth appears to lack a main beam on its right side, it would be considered a “freak”—and therefore unscoreable—under the B&C system. Obviously, B&C has a nontypical category for whitetails, but even these bucks must sport a pair of main beams and a typical “frame” before a measurer can tackle them.

So I got right back to my friend with a reply to his scoring question. “He won’t score worth diddly,” I said. “Maybe you should pass on him this fall and see if he grows that beam next year.”

I know, I know….He didn’t think it was an option, either.

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Who cares what B&C thinks thats a wall hanger for sure!

from huntnow wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I'm with Dcast and I wouldn't give him another year either. I have always felt that non-typicals kind of got an unfair shake with scoring though. Best of luck to your friend with this one.

from Outsider wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Its just me but any system that takes away points for uneven antlers (pope/young and B/C) are flawed. God didn't intend for their antlers to be perfectly even...SHould be based on your gross score, not net. Espically on Non-typical racks.

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Numbers don't mean diddly is more like it

from ckRich wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I agree with Outsider, for the most part. In my opinion, the true value of the trophy is not measured in inches but in the personal value/pride/honor that the hunter places on the trophy themselves.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Not sure without a closer look a the base, but they may be able to determine the curved middle beam to be the main beam and with the brow tine, making him a 6x2 main frame, that would have alot of deductions, but then after adding all that non-typical growth he still might surprise you. Who cares about net. Add him up that way and forget about net, gross inches are what you are looking at. Great buck.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

If I ever shoot a absolute huge buck I'll show the horns every where, but I'll never let anyone measure it, just to watch em all squim because they can't!!

from jjas wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Remember the old saying...."nets are for fish".

That deer is a giant and I couldn't possibly care less what B&C or P&Y says about how to score him.

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Saying numbers don't mean anything is saying you don't care about the size of the buck you shoot. That's fine. But I don't want to shoot another 115" 8-point. You just have to know when numbers are applicable. This is one case where they don't mean s%!&.

from country road wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Personally, I'd rather have an odd, non-typical rack than a big "ordinary" one. Of course, there are people out there who say that I'm odd and non-typical myself.

from Curt in Va. wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

B&C can kiss mine if I shoot that thing. Who cares if they want to score it or not. I will ride all over town saying "look at this freak"! Scores are only a good measuring stick for other hunters. If it can't be measured, then it must be REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY good!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

whackdaddy, alot of us on here hunt deer not antlers. We also hunt for meat and a large buck is just a bonus!

from alleganyarcher wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

The point system means little to me, and a lot of this just goes back to the personal reason you hunt. When I was younger I shot any legal buck that came by. As I grew older I became a bit more selective, but I will shoot any decent sized buck because I like the venison (I don't doe hunt at all). When I shot my last really big buck about 3 years ago, a buddy of mine immediately asked "what did it score?". My response was "It scored about 6 beers when I got home".

from chrishinson1971 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

who cares about a main beam put that sucker on the wall i know i sure would .

from Sipe wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Scoring has a place, but its not in determining what is and is not a shooter buck.

I often mention scores and it helps people have a legitimate conversation about deer. Rather than just saying I saw a BIG buck...too subjective. I say..I saw a 140 class buck and everyone is on the same page.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

That is a nice buck by any standards.

I had one without a beam running around my place few years back. Non typical racks are difficult to judge while the animal is on the hoof. I saw this buck several times before I figured out what was going on with his rack.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Thats right the est. score is just another way to describe to someone without a photo and does not in any way make the trophy. We judge our deer more by age than score, when decideing if a buck is a shooter or not. I have two bucks on my farm,last year, that were 150 class young looking bucks with several small nontypical points on 5x5 frames lacking beam length and mass. This year one has matching 10+ inch drop-tines probabley 180-190, the other is a massive 6x6 with another 12 non-typical points, well over 200 inches.Again I only mention estimated score as a description and to point out that by shooting the older but not as big of antlered bucks last year, these two were allowed to show their potential.If they bust up their racks before anyone gets a crack at them, they will be off limits untill next year as long as they dont get shot on a neighboring farm or hit on the road, but thats the gamble with wild free rangeing deer.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Unscoreable I don't care about. Just hang it above my fireplace...

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I surely wouldn't pass that buck up because one beam was unscoreable. An animal that unique would be a trophy in anyone's book, I would think.

from shane wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Anyone that would pass that buck up for score purposes has something seriously wrong with them.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I think it would be benificial for the clubs to come up with a better system for this its such a big flaw. If i saw a buck like this i would have a heart attack then hopefully have enough composure to shoot it.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

That is one strange deer must be from 3 mile Island!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

alleganyarcher

In the past, I have hunted an area that allowed NO doe harvesting. Within a few years, the deer population was all jacked up. Little bitty "cockleburr" bucks with a 6 inch spread were the norm.
You need to kill 2 or 3 does per buck to keep the population healthy!

Bubba
P.S. ...been there, seen that, the tee shirt ain't fit to have!!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

"Won't score worth a diddy...pass and hope he grows a beam..." Scott... surely you jest? That is not freak of nature that is a work of natural art.

from MidnightBanjo wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I thought that we were supposed to take bucks like that out of the breeding population?!? In any case, that's a deer worth taking - and no, I don't care what it would score.

from alleganyarcher wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Firstbubba, it depends on the area. We have thinned the whitetail herds around my parts so much (from issuing too many tags) that I will not shoot a doe until the herds get back to healthier numbers. The reason for issuing so many doe tags (areas of Pa.) over the last 5-10 years was an effort to get bigger racks on the buck population. The science was sound and it certainly did raise the average rack size, but the down side is you have to live with less (much less) deer in general. But this is a whole other topic of discussion.

from tmbryant wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

The B&C scoring system only gives credit for the poorest measurements of a set of antlers. For instance if you have one side that is a very small and the other side that is very large. You can take all the measurements from the small side and double them add the inside spread and you have the B&C net score. It works the same if you take the smallest measurements from each side that have a matching measurement on the other side. If there are no matching measurements, then it's a deduction and it doesn't count in the net score. There is no credit given for the extra growth on the larger side. The B&C system scores too much on symmetry and doesn't give enough credit to what the buck actually grows. The Buckmasters scoring system gives credit for everything that the buck grows. However it doesn't give an inside spread measurement as it says that is just air. It may be just air, but it should be measured as it's a determining factor in eye appeal to a trophy buck. If you have two 8 point bucks side by side and one of them has a 20" inside spread and the other has a 14" inside spread and they measure the same on everything else, most of us will take the buck with the wider spread. It may be air, but it's a determining factor on selecting which buck you want to take.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Personally I like the way different bucks have various attributes as this just adds to their character!

from jbird wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I'd shoot him in a heartbeat. Could care less about B&C, that's a trophy in my book, and that's the only book that matters to me.

from B and C RECORDS wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

This deer is scorable as long as;
1. The deer is not a stag (reproductive damage or deficiency resulting in imbalance of hormones leading to excessive antler abnormalities)
2. The mass of horn on the right side arises from a single pedicle, aka. it is not three antlered.

You guys are all correct in that there is more to a trophy than a number, remember that the system was devised as a scientific record of the best of the best with the assumption that they were going extinct. It is only appropriate to devise a system which rewards the best of the common antler configuration. Not artificially show false strength by rewarding a genetic freak. Most research shows that a "normal" antler configuration can only develop under ideal conditions. Many of the freaks, such as shown here, are the result of some form of injury during development which could be interpreted as un-natural stress imposed onto the species in a particular location.
While trying to create a record for future generations to study, they felt that it should represent the species and thus they defined the perfect rack and the scoring system was developed with that in mind.

FYI, I would proudly take this deer and he would become the centerpiece of my modest trophy room (living room).

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Your right allegheny

The area I'm hunting right now has a deer population that is unbalanced now. The state allows a substantial doe harvest, but the older hunters don't want to spend the price of a tag, as they put it, "...to kill no old doe! I want a buck!"
Ergo, few people, save us old rednecks that just enjoy the meat, are killing does!
It's gonna jump up and bite 'em one of these days!

Bubba

from deerwhacker40 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

I HUNT IN CENTRAL KANSAS AND THERE ARE ALOT OF GREAT BUCKS IN MY AREA, HOWEVER I LONG FOR THE DAYS WHEN WE USED TO SEE 30-40 DEER IN AN OUTING INSTEAD OF 1-2 DOES AND A BUCK OR 2 IF YOUR LUCKY NOW. NOW THERE ARE HUNTERS ON TOP OF HUNTERS INFILTRATING THE PUBLIC AREAS AND NO ONE IS SEEING THE BIG BOYS, THEY CAUSE THEM TO GO NOCTURNAL AND YOUR YEAR IS DONE. KANSAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE NEEDS TO WAKE UP AND LET THE DEER POPULATION FLORISH FOR A FEW YEARS THEN COME BACK EVERY OTHER YEAR AND GIVE OUT THE MULTIPLE DOE TAGS THAT IS QUALITY DEERMANAGEMENT. IT'S CALLED DEERHUNTING NOT DEER SEARCHING, HAVE A GREAT 2010 HUNTING SEASON FELLOWS AND GET - R- DONE.........................

from shane wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Although I might pass that buck up - he looks skinny as hell.

from Clapton hunts wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Beauty and value are in the eye of the sportsman. That being said, One hell of a rack!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

deerwhacker 40 that's incredible. I've lived in Indiana and Tennessee and neither one of them had any deer to speak of in the 60's. If you saw one you called up everybody you knew. The last 50 years where I am have been the best half century in terms of growth that ever happened for white-tailed deer... they are everywhere now. It sounds like you used to trip over deer in the fields of Kansas!

from jblackburn10 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

It takes a freak to know a freak! I LIKE it!

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

That buck is a shooter in anyones book!

from smokepole45 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I like it, I love it, let me see more of it!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Who cares what B&C thinks thats a wall hanger for sure!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

That is one strange deer must be from 3 mile Island!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Numbers don't mean diddly is more like it

from ckRich wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Remember the old saying...."nets are for fish".

from Curt in Va. wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Sipe wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from MidnightBanjo wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Clapton hunts wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from jblackburn10 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

It takes a freak to know a freak! I LIKE it!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from alleganyarcher wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from chrishinson1971 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

who cares about a main beam put that sucker on the wall i know i sure would .

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

That is a nice buck by any standards.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Unscoreable I don't care about. Just hang it above my fireplace...

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

alleganyarcher

You need to kill 2 or 3 does per buck to keep the population healthy!

Bubba
P.S. ...been there, seen that, the tee shirt ain't fit to have!!

from alleganyarcher wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from tmbryant wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Your right allegheny

It's gonna jump up and bite 'em one of these days!

Bubba

from shane wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

Although I might pass that buck up - he looks skinny as hell.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

That buck is a shooter in anyones book!

from smokepole45 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I like it, I love it, let me see more of it!