Introducing Hoppe's No. 9 Air Freshener

Field Notes

August 06, 2010

Introducing Hoppe's No. 9 Air Freshener

By Chad Love

For decades outdoor writers, shooters, hunters and anyone with the slightest bit of olfactory discrimination have waxed poetic about the manly, nostalgic scent of Hoppe's No. 9. With apologies to the original Fish Formula, Off! and deer-camp bean farts, it is simply the most recognizable scent in the outdoors. Only problem was, the scent of Hoppe's was pretty much limited to the workbench when you cleaned your guns. Until now. Introducing the Hoppe's No. 9...air freshener!

No, this is not a joke. From the press release...

In 1903, when Frank Hoppe developed a mix of 9 different ingredients to create the original Hoppe's No. 9 gun solvent, he had no idea that history was being made. Over the last 107 years the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 has evoked fond memories of fathers, grandfathers, memorable hunts and great days in the field.

In response to consumer requests, Hoppe's now has an air freshener with the unique No. 9 smell. The freshener has a string for hanging it in your gun room, car, garage, or anywhere you want the nostalgic smell of Hoppe's No. 9.

Brett and Kate McKay, authors of the book "The Art of Manliness" list Hoppe's No. 9 as one of the top 15 manly smells.

The Hoppe's No. 9 Air Freshener will be available at your favorite sporting goods and/or hunting store and will sell for a suggested retail price of $3.99.

Visit www.hoppes.com for more information on all Hoppe's and Hoppe's Elite Products.

Two questions: Will you buy it, and can you still clean your guns with it?

from Dcast wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Wow! Sad thing is people will buy it! I won't. If I wanted a hoppes #9 airfreshner I would dip a tampon in a jar of hoppes and hang it from my mirror! That might just be my hillbilly blood talking!

from straightshooter wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Just a couple of days ago, the wife and I were visiting with friends. When the women started talking about scented candles both of us guys butted in and said that they needed to make one in Hoppe's No. 9.

Add that to my "If I'd only thought of it sooner" list.

from country road wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I'm gonna get one and hang it from the string on the ceiling fan at deer camp. Scents definitely carry the strongest memory associations and this is a good one, has been part of my good memories all my life. Using the real thing is fine, but it evaporates too quickly.

from billyf65 wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

That's awesome.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

this will definitely be more welcome to my truck than the blue leaf hanging from my mirror right now. my other favorite is the ducks unlimited air freshener that many people i see use.

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Heck ... I thought everybody already had one!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I'll take 12!

from ckRich wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I'll take a case! Christmas shopping done!

from seadog wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Nostalgic? OK, I guess so, but I still use it and I bet at least half of you do too. That reminds me of an old cigarette commercial (Lucky Strike? I think) where every body had a black eye--"I'd rather fight than switch!"

P.S.--Not so sure about the air fresheners--if my truck smelled like Hoppe's #9, cleaning the firearms would lose some of it's charm.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I like it except there is a chance the smell will have me think my guns are clean when they are not.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

How about an air freshener with 2 stroke amsoil?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

i'm going to get one and hang it on my mirror next to the largemouth bass!

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

A tampon soaked in Hoppes! Why didn't I think of that?

Get me a couple! Elk Camp could really use an upgrade!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

id buy it for the off season, but for the in season the natural way is much better and give me warm feelings each and every time i clean my guns :)

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

MBT shoes should not be allowed to advertise their Lousy products on this website.

BOYCOTT them and keep them off of this website that is for comments only!

Seawolf

from country road wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Seadog---That was Tareytons in the "rather fight than switct" ad. I used to smoke those nasty things and they had a peculiar flavor that once you got used to it, other smokes tasted flat. Glad I put those things down. Wish I'd done it sooner.

from andrewminton wrote 3 years 35 weeks ago

i like the concept but it think when my pine scented ducks unlimited air freshener loses its odor ill refreshen it with hoppes

from Dale Reisert wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

BOYCOTT them and keep them off of this website that is for comments only!

Seawolf

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I'll take a case! Christmas shopping done!

from Dcast wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from straightshooter wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Add that to my "If I'd only thought of it sooner" list.

from country road wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from billyf65 wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

That's awesome.

from muskiemaster wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Heck ... I thought everybody already had one!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

I'll take 12!

from seadog wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

How about an air freshener with 2 stroke amsoil?

from jamesti wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

i'm going to get one and hang it on my mirror next to the largemouth bass!

from Mark Orlicky wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

A tampon soaked in Hoppes! Why didn't I think of that?

Get me a couple! Elk Camp could really use an upgrade!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago