Details Surface About Jeff Foiles' Canadian Hunting Charges

Field Notes

February 02, 2011

Details Surface About Jeff Foiles' Canadian Hunting Charges

By Chad Love

Remember Monday's Field Notes blog post on Illinois hunter and waterfowl hunting celebrity Jeff Foiles?

He's also being indicted on a number of charges in Canada. Here's a little more detail on that side of the case, from a story in the Edmonton Journal:

The head of an American-based hunting club faces 12 charges under the Criminal Code and federal wildlife laws for violations he allegedly committed while leading hunting trips in central Alberta between 2003 and 2007. Environment Canada laid the charges against Jeffrey Foiles last Thursday, the same day he pleaded not guilty in an Illinois court to a 23-count indictment accusing him of violations of U.S. federal wildlife laws. Of the 12 Canadian charges Foiles faces, two result from him allegedly causing "unnecessary pain and suffering to a bird contrary to the Criminal Code." Environment Canada says Foiles' 10 other charges fall under the Migratory Birds Convention Act and include taking more than the daily limit of geese and ducks, continuing to hunt even after the daily limit was reached. They also include hunting from a moving or power-operated boat, failing to immediately retrieve a migratory game bird after killing or wounding it and failing to immediately kill a wounded migratory game bird after it was retrieved.

According to the indictment, Foiles killed well over the daily waterfowl limits in Alberta, on one occasion shooting 24 ducks and 25 Canada geese during the filming of his show. The limits are five and eight, respectively. But perhaps the most interesting (in a heinous way) allegations are how Foiles allegedly collected his lanyard jewelry...

During the fall of 2005, the indictment says Foiles travelled to a city park in Loveland, Colo., after learning many Canada geese wearing neck collars and leg tags had been spotted at the park. He allegedly used bread to lure the tagged geese to his vehicle, where he shot them with a pellet gun and removed the tags. American officials allege Foiles used the tags he collected from the geese to decorate his duck and goose call lanyard, "which he wore prominently on his commercial hunting videos to advertise his skill and experience as a migratory waterfowl hunter."

What say you, waterfowlers? Has the whole "my lanyard has more bands than your lanyard" thing gone a bit too far when some dude is (allegedly) shooting park geese just to collect the bands?

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

My understanding is the Division of Wildlife went undercover and actually hunted next to Foiles during many of these violations. Sound pretty cut and dry.

from Ace088 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

Shooting a Banded Duck or Gooes in my opinion doesnt make you a better waterfowl hunter. Shooting a banded one is just luck and is just a reward and plain out awesome to do since you can locate where it was banded and when. This story just puts a bad taste in my mouth for Jeff and I will never buy another of his products.

from ejunk wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

holy crap. that bit about the bands is unbelievable. I'm genuinely disgusted.

yrs-
Evan!

from NYhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

What is wrong with people these days?

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

This is why I don't watch or buy hunting shows or videos. They're all just out to make a buck and they don't care about anything else, especially ethical hunting.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

I'm just glad that we have men and women out there that work hard to catch guys like this. It really disturbs me what some people will do for money.

from ckRich wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from casestevenson wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

i live ten miles from loveland, and there are geese out the wazzoo! But seriously he drove all the way here just to get the neck bands, thats pretty jacked up! I hope they throw the book at him!

from Setter Man wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

What a dirtbag. There is already a negative feeling among many in Canada toward American Waterfowl hunters. Foiles has set us all back with the hunting and non-hunting public. Outdoor networks should check out the person's integrity better. Way to go Game Wardens! Lock the outlaw up.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 30 weeks ago

I can't imagine what a jack@$$ he must have felt like wearing those things like a badge of honor when he knew full well how he got them.

from Ace088 wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

holy crap. that bit about the bands is unbelievable. I'm genuinely disgusted.

yrs-
Evan!

from NYhunter wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago

What is wrong with people these days?

from ckRich wrote 3 years 11 weeks ago