Small (Though Very Hungry) Rainbow Trout Eats 20 Shrews

The Lateral Line

September 13, 2013

Small (Though Very Hungry) Rainbow Trout Eats 20 Shrews

By Joe Cermele

Is there a mouse fly stashed in one of your fly boxes, or maybe buried in an old tackle box filled with stuff granda handed down? Do you ever use it? If you don't, you should, because there is no greater proof that trout eat rodents than this story on LiveScience.com. In the photo we have a wild rainbow trout caught in Alaska's Togiak National Wildlife Refuge that had a stomach filled with 20 shrews. Thing is, the 'bow was only a 19-incher. It's not a small trout, but it's not breaking any records either. According to the story, the most shrews ever found in a trout stomach was seven per local fisheries biologist Mark Lisac.

From the story:

Shrews aren't very good swimmers and sometimes drown if they end up in water, Lisac said. "My best guess is that the shrews were on an island [or river bank] that flooded, and the rainbow happened to be in the right spot at the right time," he said.

So there you go. Wait for some high water and bust out those mouse flies, even if you don't think there's a trout in your home water big enough to eat one. Have a great weekend.

from Kris24 wrote 30 weeks 5 days ago

That is cool! Reminds me of a pic I saw one time of a catfish with a bunch of baby cotton mouths in its belly.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 30 weeks 5 days ago

Very cool! Prepare for a fish story: I was bream fishing in my favorite small farm pond. Zebco 33 combo with crickets. About as simple as it gets. I get a little nibble and hook a little bream and start realin him in when a largemouth swallows that bream on my hook! Probably about a two pounder though i didn't land him

from stick500 wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

Appears to me that a shrew nest got flooded or fell in the water somehow- they all appear to be kinda little and the same size. Poor mama shrew put all that work into those babies but I guess you could say they didn't get wasted...

from stick500 wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

...plus it looks like they all got eaten at the same time, right before the fish was caught.

from Michael Yonts wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

wonder what was used to catch it?

from Gary Devine wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

Sounds like something a largemouth bass would do.

I am little shocked by it. I thought trout were fly eaters.

from Gary Devine wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

Could be a bogus fish story?
That is a lot of food for a trout's stomach.

from Dangle wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

This is happening on Idaho's famed Silver Creek. A population boom of these Vols sees them in big numbers on the roadways. Fly anglers are using mouse patterns at nite, and catching big rainbows on them.

from madmike98 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

I caught a 20 incher with a baby bird in it's stomach. it must have fallen out of the nest but it was the weirdest thing I've ever found in a fish.

from murdock32 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

That's shrewd.

from tleichty1989 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

I caught a rainbow (smaller in size) with a crawdad stuck in its throat still. I didn't realize it until I threw it back and thought: that would have been a really cool picture!

from MattM37 wrote 30 weeks 23 hours ago

If you think trout eat only flies, then you don't know much about trout, and shouldn't be stating that something is a lot for one's stomach as if it were fact. The story is not bogus; I've caught 16 and 17 inch browns with mice in their stomachs -- not to mention 3 or 4 inch dace, and crawdads of the same size. Trout stomachs are not small at all in proportion to their bodies; I've read also that they have pretty fast-moving digestive systems, which makes them hungry more often and more likely to nail anything that presents a meal.

from 357 wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

so cool

from Trapper Vic wrote 30 weeks 19 hours ago

Tails seem too long to be shrews. Look more like mice in the picture without a closer look. Vols and shrews the same?

from Longrifle wrote 30 weeks 19 hours ago

I know a damn shrew or two I wish a fish would eat...

from Kris24 wrote 30 weeks 5 days ago

from Matthew Matzek wrote 30 weeks 5 days ago

from stick500 wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

from stick500 wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

from Michael Yonts wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

wonder what was used to catch it?

from Gary Devine wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

Sounds like something a largemouth bass would do.

I am little shocked by it. I thought trout were fly eaters.

from Gary Devine wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

Could be a bogus fish story?
That is a lot of food for a trout's stomach.

from Dangle wrote 30 weeks 4 days ago

from madmike98 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

from murdock32 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

That's shrewd.

from tleichty1989 wrote 30 weeks 3 days ago

from MattM37 wrote 30 weeks 23 hours ago

from 357 wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

so cool

from Trapper Vic wrote 30 weeks 19 hours ago

from Longrifle wrote 30 weeks 19 hours ago

I know a damn shrew or two I wish a fish would eat...