Letterman Says Don't Break The Wrist When Flycasting

The Lateral Line

October 18, 2013

Letterman Says Don't Break The Wrist When Flycasting

By Joe Cermele

David Letterman can tell that actor Michael Fassbender is likely a not a good caster just by the way he breaks his wrist when air-casting. I'm glad I got to see this clip, because now I know to practice my air-casting beforehand if I'm ever invited on "The Late Show." Have a great weekend.

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Letterman, a NY city boy knows of Cutthroats and "proper casting". I'm guessing old Dave just might have thrown a fly or two in his day.

from Dangle wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Totally bogus information. Every "bat" being it a ping-pong paddle, a tennis racket, a golf club, a baseball bat, or a fly rod employs the wrist. Were someone to pick up a baseball, and throw it from shortstop like folks teach fly casting teaching them to reduce the influence of the wrist, and not break it they'd throw the ball like a non-athletic girl, and couldn't get the ball to the pitcher's mound. We "throw" a cast. It is all about when to use the wrist that needs to be addressed, not to restrict it. Most teach fly casting as if athletes need not apply.

from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Sound advice but I prefer to have my elbow tucked into my side.

from FLYFISHDOG wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

For fly fishing to get a couple minutes of fame on Letterman is wonderful for the sport. Dave tossing out different trout names tells you he has toss a fly at some time in his life. Good Stuff Thanks

from FLYFISHDOG wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from Dangle wrote 25 weeks 3 days ago

buckhunter...Is that the way you threw a ball on the baseball diamond...throwing arm tucked into your side, and not using much wrist? I can see your throw now. Did they call you Spaz for short? And you do throw a fly with a flyrod.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

Dangle, My arm throws the ball, my rod cast the fly. Not much of a comparison.

from whitefishpress wrote 25 weeks 11 hours ago

Letterman is a pretty serious fly angler in his (limited) spare time. He even got Jimmy Kimmel hooked on it; now Kimmel is becoming a serious fly fisherman. Both men have talked at length about fly fishing on their shows.

from Dangle wrote 25 weeks 11 hours ago

Buck..Undoubtedly you don't cast the fly very well. The stroke you make throwing a ball is very similar to the stroke you make casting the fly. But you keep that arm ducked in close. I don't want my image of your casting to change.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Dangle wrote 25 weeks 11 hours ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from wisc14 wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

sayfu does everything you post on here have to be negative, critical, or arguementative?

from themadflyfisher wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

"The stroke you make throwing a ball is the stroke you make casting a fly"?? Dangle, I'm guessing you didn't do much pitching in your earlier days.

from Dangle wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

wisc. All about getting the facts straight. I could care less about the personalities. There are lots of falsehoods put in print on this thread....more than a decent flyfisherman could ever imagine. You do notice that no one contests the facts I post do you not? More than a few wannabees on this thread. You'd think you'd want to provide them good information....but then again you are a lib, and they could care less about the facts.

from themadflyfisher wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 1 day ago

Dangle, My arm throws the ball, my rod cast the fly. Not much of a comparison.

from wisc14 wrote 24 weeks 6 days ago

from Dangle wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Sound advice but I prefer to have my elbow tucked into my side.

from FLYFISHDOG wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago