New Hooks Shots: Muskies On The Fly (A Minnesota Epic)

The Lateral Line

October 08, 2013

New Hooks Shots: Muskies On The Fly (A Minnesota Epic)

By Joe Cermele

I have never shot a muskie episode of "Hook Shots" that was not a lesson in stress management and perseverance. Why I thought trying to get it done on the fly was a good idea I'm not sure. From sun up to sundown for four days straight, me and four guys obsessed with catching muskies on the fly traversed Minnesota looking for our shot. If you've ever been on a fishing road trip with a bunch of friends, you know that things rarely run smoothly, and this trip was no exception. If there's not an aspect of this adventure you can't relate to, you haven't been out fishing enough. So was the grind worth it? All I'll say is that my favorite quote from the episode comes from muskie freak Russ Gontarek, who says: "One single cast can change an entire trip."

from Koldkut wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

Dang, Man. I had my Thursday and Friday fishing all planned out until I saw this. The Lake trout may have to wait.

from buckhunter wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

Muskie fishing makes the lottery look like the sure thing.

from RockySquirrel wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

All you have to do is catch one, and your whole perspective on fishing changes. With Muskie, its not fishing its hunting.

from Micropterus24 wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

I have been pressuring my friends to road trip up to northern wisco one more time this year to chase muskies on the fly. I haven't been able to spend much time on musky this year, and its pretty much all I'm thinking about, maybe I'll just have to go solo.

from rjw wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

4 days, 5 guys and 1 Muskie, now that is dedication.

from themadflyfisher wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

There is a local lake filled with muskies but I've never attempted it with a fly rod. Maybe just maybe one of these days.

from chuck the weasel wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

I know they were specifically after muskie, but I would have been beyond stoked to catch a pike that big on a flyrod

from nuclear_fisher wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

You are crazy JC, with all those pike and b e a utiful smallies in there... I would have abandoned the fly fishing for muskie idea in a heartbeat. I admire your dedication and maybe a touch of stupidity (jk)

from Joe_Cermele wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

Thing about muskies Nuclear is you're either fishing for them or your not...all or nothing. I happen to agree that it was hard not to just turn our attention to other fish (particularly the smallies) but as soon as you make that call, I feel like you've committed to not catching any muskies for sure...then they win and we can't have that.

from rdorman wrote 21 weeks 1 day ago

As always excellent show Joe! I was hoping for a musky episode

from Joe_Cermele wrote 27 weeks 2 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 27 weeks 5 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

Muskie fishing makes the lottery look like the sure thing.

from RockySquirrel wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

from Micropterus24 wrote 27 weeks 4 days ago

from rjw wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago

4 days, 5 guys and 1 Muskie, now that is dedication.

from themadflyfisher wrote 27 weeks 3 days ago