Booth Babe on a Break

January 22, 2009

Booth Babe on a Break

By Kim Hiss

Photo by Joe Cermele

With the other F&S blogs buzzing about the SHOT Show booth babes, the Huntress blog would be remiss not to chime in.

All I can add is my own experience with a booth babe at the first SHOT Show I attended a few years back. I was there as a suit-jacket-wearing outdoors journalist, and I'd never heard of booth babes. At one point, I found myself standing next to a woman in a ripped, black t-shirt that barely covered her considerable chest and shorts so tiny, her cheeks were visible below them. What's more, this particular woman had some kind of dirt smudged on her ankle and she looked miserably cold. I had no idea what this poor creature was doing on the floor, but I figured it couldn't be anything good.

I later realized the woman had been a booth babe, and thinking back now, I may have caught her on a break. As I spotted other booth babes throughout the show (who, to their credit, were all smiles, pep and cleanliness), I had the same reaction I've heard from other women in the business. I felt like an outsider (especially considering I was already a newbie), as though T&A was the the only way to fit into the man's outdoors trade show world.

I'm by no means generalizing "booth babes" to include all women at booths. And I don't pretend to know anything about booth babe credentials or their lives beyond the show. And I allow for the possibility that the booth babe scene today (pictured above) may be different. I just know that on that one afternoon, my experience with that one booth babe overshadowed the show. I couldn't tell you what booth she was working or what products she was promoting. I just know I walked away feeling depressed. -K.H.

from Douglas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I can only hope that the booth babe thing is meant to be light hearted fun for trade show attendees.
I imagine the women make great advertising beacons, but the thought of that leaves me depressed as well.

from Bruce E. Matthews wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

FS Huntress' post didn't seem real light-hearted to me... I understand that sex sells (why else have booth babes pictured on the F&S website), and I understand economic desperation and razor thin profit margins driving marketing decisions to use all means available to get a leg up (so to speak), but it just seems to me what this says about how some Shot Show manufacturers view their target audiences is pretty discouraging. Do I like to look at babes? Yes, but truth be told I really don't want to look at them. I don't like what it says about what manufacturers think about me, as a customer, to be lumped/segmented with a bunch of drooling... well, you get the picture. And I don't want to HAVE to look at them to buy a gun, or spend time on the F&S website, for that matter.

I truly hope someday we can get past this. Maybe F&S will grow enough cojones to NOT feature booth babes next year. One can hope.

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

It may be lighthearted fun, but I can see how it alienates female trade show attendees and potential clientele. If the shoe was on the other foot -- guys dressed in skimpy leather posing with firearms -- the "Yuck! factor" would compel most men to stay away.

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

The reality is sex sells and SHOT caters to a primarily male audience.

If the audience was primarily female, I'm sure you would see half dressed guys parading around and there would be a male blogger complaining about that.

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

jjas is right, sex sells, and men will be, well, men. But the booth babes just keep hunters in a negative streotype.

If the booth babes are anything like the gals selling raffle tickets at the QU banquets I've been to, they know nothing of hunting or the products they are "promoting".

In the work place, this would be considered sexual harassment.

from Levi Banks wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I disagree, in our minds it tends to make women seem like objects, and a woman is not an object whose beauty is only skin deep.

from Levi Banks wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Sorry, I was disagreeing with someone else, not Lou, it just took a while for my comment to be posted.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I guess when you pay that much for 3 pounds of silicon you have to find someway, no matter how degrading, to pay the doctor off. Too bad women can't figure out that real beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. Those fake ones are nice and all until you look under them---gaaackkkk!!!

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Sexual harassment? Get a clue. Booth babes love it, that's there job, they're models and they're everywhere; car shows, car/home stereo previews, the price is right, lumber liquidators, everywhere! Get over it or don't go. Your whining like the PC correct liberal Democratic fawning media us conservatives hate. Real men love to look at babes and we gravitate to the products they're endorsing. Lets see how many men will rush, no, swarm to a booth that Granny Clampett is working. Believe me they'll go to the booth where Elly Mae is, and so will the dollars that buy my products. Fact.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Hey Jim, do you really think that these girls love the attention or the money they receive? Get a clue. Not one of those girls WANT some old guy hitting on them. So you are saying that if Elly Mae is working the Hi-Point booth, and Granny Clampett is working the Glock booth, you and your money is going to go where Elly Mae is? More power to ya buddy!

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

I ought to keep my mouth shut while I can but as a man I naturally can't. This is to Kim Hess: Kim, "I walked away depressed". What are you talking about? I've seen you and I was quite impressed and left wishing I could spend the rest of my outdoor years (not with you) with a woman of your looks and outdoor desires.

from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Sorry should have read, you and your money are going to go where Elly Mae is.

L3,
Yes they love it.
Apparently your one of those that don't have a clue and don't know where I was coming from. It's about money.

from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

No, obviously I am not one who has to throw money at women.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Glock wouldn't hire Granny. LOL. I'm stopping now (I hope).

L3,
Nobody's throwing money at women, they're throwing money at the products! Every word people write on blogs or in their magazines is literally MONEY!

from jan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Unfortunately, Booth Babes are a necessity after all these years of having them there. They're part of the "fixtures." I just wish they were required to have an average IQ....and maybe a little bit of knowledge of the outdoors would be good, too. I watched the video the F&S editor did, and was embarrassed for those girls. They all came off as "dumb bunnies"!

from MLH wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Once a year I work with professional models at a classic car show. These ladies are intelligent, personable, beautiful, and articulate. They come across well to both men and women.

Once or twice a year I also work with amateur models at sportsmen fundraising banquets. Usually only one or two know anything about sporting equipment or the outdoors. Ladies in black dresses and heels handling firearms is undoubtedly a turn-on but the ones that know even a little just stand out.

I love a beautiful woman that looks me in the eye and knows what she is talking about. The booth babes make me smile, but I would much rather see classy decked out ladies handling equipment that they know something about.

jan, MLH:
Amen

from OneShotGirl wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

As a fellow huntress, it's a shocking truth of reality that all us babes dont wake up at four in the morning during the rut, stalk out in our skin tight leather chaps and bikini top, and sit for hours in the woods modeling some overpowered firearm while we wait for a nice deer to wander by. I would feel depressed too! All that flesh is definately not going to bring in the bucks. Atleast not the ones i'm worried about.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

if you dont want to read it, or see the pictures, then dont click on it. and quite fussing about it. if you like it fine. if you dont just dont look at the pictures, and dont read about it.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jacee wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Okay, let me get this straight. Instead of learning more about hunting and fishing, hanging out at elk camp, going to BOW, or taking my daughter to hunters ed, I should just put on a skimpy outfit and work the SHOT show? Instead of being a hunting buddy, you guys would rather see me as a sex object? For most of us gals it is intimidating enough to deal with the "macho" factor, but now we have to have perfect hair, flat abs, and leather fringe to be accepted in the outdoors? I have been doing this wrong all along! (Do they make camo stilletos?) I agree that booth babes will probably be around for a while - but then again, what is wrong with finding REAL women who have REAL knowledge about the stuff they are selling - can't they dress nice (ie not barely covered) and be smart too? Of course, the easy answer is "don't look at the pictures/models." Yet even if I don't, I still have to live up to that pressure and scrutiny by you guys out there. So I leave you with these thoughts: What kind of example do booth babes set for us as outdoorspeople? What kind of example does that set for my daughter, who is the future of this sport?

from kimhiss wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

The one point that really cuts through the debate for me is that most booth babes I've seen distracted me away from whatever booth they were promoting. Their entire function is to sell the product, but because I'm distracted by them, I don't even notice the product. Just my own experience, but still quite an irony.

Jim in Mo, thanks for the shout-out, and Jacee, even if they did make camo stilettos, I'm far too much of a klutz to ever be in danger of wearing them (by the way, I love hearing about your daughter going to hunters ed -- way to pass it on.). -K.H.

from Sarah M. wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I would much rather buy a product from an ugly person that knows what they are talking about than from a good looking person (or borderline bimbo) that has no clue. If it's a trade show, it should be about the products, not the girls- bottom line.

from Katie wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Even if the booth ladies know what they are talking about, it doesn't change the fact that they are creating a stereotype for women who are interested in the outdoors. Girls and Women today already have enough pressure to live up to with actresses and models, and it's just like Jacee said, it's easy enough for ME not to look at it, but it doesn't change the fact that everyone else still does. Would it be so hard for them to simply wear a pair of jeans and a company shirt and just discuss the product, instead of selling themselves in a half-dressed manor?

I agree with Sarah M, I would much rather buy something from someone who knows what they are talking about, no matter what they looked like. The goal is to get a quality product.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

This is a tough subject for me. I understand marketing, and know sex sells (and I'm amused when I watch men empty their wallets at fundraising dinners when cleavage walks by their tables - a little like bucks in rut).

But yeah, it is depressing being a woman and walking up to a booth laden with booth babes, for all kinds of reasons, probably the first being that the message is, "We don't actually expect that a female journalist or purchaser would show up here - but we're ready to make the men happy!"

I try to stay on the side of being amused because it's just easier than being depressed or pissed off. But to everyone who thinks Kim is being a P.C. whiner, consider this: If you have a 12-year-old daughter you're teaching to hunt and you take her to a show like this, is this what you want her to see? That the role of women in hunting is to shove their cleavage in men's faces?

At least I'm a grown woman and I can filter this out, and remember that 99 percent of experiences I've had with men in hunting have been positive and very welcoming. But kids are impressionable, and if I had a daughter, that's not the impression I'd want her to have of the business. I'd skip those booths and take her to meet people like Kirstie Pike, Pam Zaitz, Shelah Zmigrosky, Keli Van Cleave and any number of women who are successful hunters and entrepreneurs and don't dress like ho's.

from jan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

NorCal Cazadora,
I couldn't have said it better myself! And believe it or not, my husband AGREES with us! He also said that when it comes to a bying decision, especially if he hasn't done enough research to consider himself the expert, then he'd rather his salesperson KNOW what they're talking about, regardless of how they look!

(Yep, he's definitely a keeper!)

from Laura Bell wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I've never been to a SHOT Show nor met a booth babe, but I've heard numerous things about it all. Not a big fan of it. I think the gals here have already covered everything I could have said. They said it very well!!

BTW, We're definitely getting more traffic here lately, who knew that it only took a point system to do so.

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Consider this, what does it say about a vendors product if they need a booth babe to bring in the people, not the actual product. Hmm, maybe thier products aren't really that great.

It has been mentioned a couple of times that the presence of booth babes is just the way it is. But 40-50 years ago segreagation was just the way it was. Things can change.

from Judy Black wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I saw this post yesterday and wanted to respond but my mom always said "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all". So I waited and he are my thoughts.
This subject came up before and I told the story of going to an event where there are young ladies walking around selling raffle tickets.
They are not dressed like other women attendees as they are in long beautiful evening gowns with high heels and more flesh showing than probably necessary, but whatever.
The first year I was kind of intimidated when the ladies walked up to the table and all the guys at the table, including my husband sat there gawking.
I remember thinking as wallet flew out of back pockets like there was a fire in the hol, now what if this was their wife asking for grocery money, or money to pay a monthly bill? Thousands of dollars went from a man's
hand to one of those charming ladies that night because they were dressed the way they were. And that my friends is EXACTLY what is intended when a company or organization hires those girls to sell tickets and show raffle items.
But the most humorous event that year and every year after was when the puppies came out that were to be raffled off. Those ladies carried those pups round and round the room. Stopping at each table and bending...just a little bit so that an interested attendee could stoke that little puppies head. Rub it's eears just for a moment and all the time looking down the front of the young ladies dress. If you asked anyone of those guys what sex or color that puppy was, they honest to God could not tell you. White???? & Tan??
lol
Everyone needs to make a living and this is how they make theirs. I wouldn't dress up in that outfit for love or money but give me a pair of camo pants, shirt, a pair of boots and my bow and I will seriously kick some butt. I am not any better than them and they are not any better than me.
I do have to say, in their defense that I did here one of the ladies telling of a hunt she was on. Now I don't know if she hunted or went as an observer but she did go.
See, maybe she had camo under her dress. =)
JB

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

My wife is in the sporting goods trade and quite often I get to attend such shows with her. I get to help carry the order books and provide advice when asked. I always get tickled when one of the girls (We call them booth bait) runs up to me with the latest product and I politely pass them off to my wife telling them she is the boss! Poor things don't know which way to turn. My wife also uses me at times to keep the "Booth Bait" occupied while she does businees.

Over the years we have noticed that the companys that employ intelligent, more sophisticated and elegantly dressed ladies with concealed cleavage (my wife calls this low ho factor) for "promotion" seem to attract as many or maybe more customers. She is also more apt to enjoy doing businees with such a company.

At times my wife is entertained by thier antics and dress, or lack there of. More often she (along with me) is disgusted that a company thinks they have to have some girl with way over done breasts, anorexic figure and abbreviated clothing peddle an otherwise good product. It does convey the wrong message. Maybe I am old fashioned, but mystery is far more intriguing to me than near nudity. Class is also far more appealing than trash...

By the way Kim, I believe my wife and I attended the same show and had the same opinion of the same young lady. As my son would say, "she was scary." I am also in agreement with the the other bloggers, you have nothing to fear from the "Booth Bait."

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I always wonder why there aren't body builder type guys there in tight shorts for the ladies to oggle over?

Equality of the sexes my azz.

Perhaps I've been married too long but I don't pay much attention to the trailer trash looking half naked girls anymore. I flipped thru the pics on Petzal's blog and only paused at a couple, most were not that interesting. Even the one at the top of this colum, my first thoughts were "I wonder if she knows how to shoot that thing". God I must be getting old.......

from Bella wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Hail Zermoid! What a good idea. I might be highly amused to see some beefcake posing with a lethal toy (safety on). Mostly This discussions makes me wonder what I should wear to the gun show I'm going to this weekend...
The one shoulder evening gown? My red leather Zena corset? Naw... too damn cold for any of that, I'll wear one of my old warm flannel shirts and a vest with lots of pockets for ammo and cleaning brushes or whatever else I decide I can't live without at the show. I'm married and feel no need to titilate the geezers. It might be another thing if I got paid for it though...
Now Pistol Packin' Paula, she has a nice cowgirl outfit. Pretty, and it looks warm too! Bella

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Kim, thanks for polite response. This is the first time in a week that I've visited this site because I was afraid I was rude.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Zermoid, I think your lying.

Bella, wouldn't that be sickening, seeing men in thongs holding guns? I think the NRA might ban such activity!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bella,

I had to set some guys straight the other day. For some reason they referred to you as a guy. Jim and I have not forgotten you said you would post a pic in swim attire some day. You obviously know your stuff about hunting. How about a camo bikini. If that won't work at least put a face with the name. We are waiting.

from Nick Jensen wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

Bottom line is sex sells, why do you think the SI swimsuit issue is the top selling SI every year? If it didn't work they wouldn't do it, and since the outdoors are primarily mans domain they use scantily clad women, Im not saying it's right, it just is what it is.

from Jacee wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from OneShotGirl wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Bruce E. Matthews wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

In the work place, this would be considered sexual harassment.

from jan wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Sarah M. wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Katie wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

L3,
Yes they love it.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Glock wouldn't hire Granny. LOL. I'm stopping now (I hope).

L3,

from MLH wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

jan, MLH:
Amen

from kimhiss wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from jan wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

NorCal Cazadora,

(Yep, he's definitely a keeper!)

from Laura Bell wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Lou A. wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Judy Black wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

lol
See, maybe she had camo under her dress. =)
JB

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Equality of the sexes my azz.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

Sorry should have read, you and your money are going to go where Elly Mae is.

from Bella wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Bella,

from Nick Jensen wrote 5 years 4 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

The reality is sex sells and SHOT caters to a primarily male audience.

from L3 wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago

No, obviously I am not one who has to throw money at women.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Zermoid, I think your lying.

from kolbster wrote 5 years 12 weeks ago