Fishing with an iPod... Fair or Foul?

FlyTalk

July 16, 2009

Fishing with an iPod... Fair or Foul?

By Kirk Deeter

We started this debate on Fly Talk about a year ago, and it got hot, so I thought I'd bring up the question again...

Do you ever fish while listening to music through earphones?  If so, what's on your playlist?

On the one hand, it seems such a downright, dirty, party foul to squelch out the natural and splendid sounds of nature--the babbling brook, the wind through the tress, the chirping birds, etc.--in favor of electronic audio.  Then again, I have nothing against a little "mood music" when doing other favorite pastimes, like cooking, for example, or skiing, or, um... well, you understand.  I do have a confession to make:

I have been known to fish with an iPod now and again.

I'm sorry, but there is just something special about lacing on the boots in the morning (when you're planning to put the hurt on the trout that day) with a little Black Sabbath "War Pigs" ripping through your ears.  When I'm in a trout-lovin' mood, it's (what else?) Barry White...

I've found Weezer to be a good kick-start catalyst for striper fishing from the beach.  Redfish?  Lucinda Williams.  Steelhead?  Anything metal, of course.

The Bottle Rockets get me going on bass.  Tarpon... well, tarpon fishing needs no soundtrack.  And when I am guiding, and we have a really, really good day on the river, when I'm driving home in my truck, it's always the Rolling Stones.

What say all of you?  Ethical dilemma or part of the game?

Deeter

from MB915 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

There is no ethical dilemma involved. I have never listened to my Ipod while fishing our hunting, have never needed something to entertain me while doing those two activites. All the music I could ever imagine is all ready right there in front of me, well for that matter it is all around me.

from buckeye wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I do not like to listen to music while I am fishing, but on occasion I will throw on my ipod while I am hiking or backpacking.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Personally I love it when people listen to ipods on the river...

the white wire is like a modern day scarlet letter

it makes it easy to know which douchebags to stay away from

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from weve_25 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

It's what ever floats your boat. If listening to your iPod is what makes the experience enjoyable to you, go for it.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

On a bad day of fishing like happened to me and my uncle the other day a little music seemed to help the mood and make the trip all that more enjoyable. As for music depending on the fish I'm going for a little "welcome to the jungle" is always the best when going for bass in weedbeds.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

When I'm fishin' for fun,I never listen to my I-Pod.

But, come tournament time and inspiration to turn things around, and the bite ain't on,I've got to listen to Van Halens only #1 Hit ... JUMP!

Then if things turn around a little, Hank Williams Jr.,A COUNTERY BOY CAN SURVIVE,will almost always get the fish biting!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Deeter, Steelhead need jazz or good rock...
You're wasting time in my opinion listening to music, I like the sounds of nature, and all the old timers that fish have the best stories. Thats what we need, an article on... the men (or women) that inspired us to fish.

AP

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

And call me a redneck all you want, Ill still listen to Kenny Chesney when I'm runnin' the boats. And if I'm with my girl, ill play some Brad Paisley. (I'm still a guy or I'm gonna miss her, just as a joke.)

AP

from ohiohunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have never listened to my ipod during hunting or fishing, because just walking through the forrest and hearing the sounds of nature is way better than any music I have ever listened to.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Some Classic Rock on the Radio while trolling for Kokanee...been known to stick some small speakers in the water bottle pockets on my backpack while hiking through bear country, or just when I want to put some miles behind me cruizin down the trail........Love the sound of natures quiet, but also enjoy some guitar rifts....

from MLH wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Anything electronic and exposed on the water is not good with me. Not that I am against it, just that I have a tendency to drown it. Flashlights, headlamps, cell phones, camera .... I like my iPod and want to keep it dry.

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

what the heck is an ipod

from Evan V wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

If I fish near a busy road, I would consider it.
But more or less it would just get in my way.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Gotta have my Pink Floyd. "The Wall" and "Dark side of the Moon" are two of the all time best albums ever.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have no problem with people listening to music on the water, but the whole ipod culture bothers me. Even the name "i"pod signifies the egocentric chrysalis that provides the connotation of complete self involvement~ too New Age for me. Once again, music is good, but shutting out nature is not healthy... and don't "tune" in when you are in bear or gator country~ they like it when their prey is distracted!

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

you like metal??? Sweet I like to listne to yellowcard. Before fishing tho not during I need to hear when I fish it helps somehow. Before fishing in the surf or in hairy places I liketo get pumped and listen To thrash metal! Carnifex or job for a cowboy. I never listen to music while fishing tho it's just wrong.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Whatever is playing on the country station or on my ipod is fine by me. To me, it is very relaxing and makes me want to get back out in the woods/ on the water really soon after returning. I don't know why but that is just its' affect on me... Im weird... I know

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Has a .350 magnum and listens to psycheDELic progressive rock. Coolest guy ever?

from hnestle wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

When i fish and hunt, the electronics get turned off. I sit at a computer all day. So when I escape from the concrete jungle the novelities stay behid.

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I want to be able to hear the osprey coming down the river. The splash of moving fish. I do admit to singing on the water though. Oh Lord, can you buy me....

from Wags wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I'm with madtrapper.........is an Ipod some kind of new fly? If so, I'd fish with it. I'm guessing it must be a caddis pattern.

Closest I come is turning on the Reds game on the truck radio when the kids and I are chasing fish in the farm ponds. Other than that, I'd miss way too much around me.

from Chad Miller wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Deeter,
Weezer is good for any occasion!!! I can see anything on the Blue Album good for hardcore big fish trips.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have to admit I've plug into nin while casting in my favorite river, but my defense is so shaky I wouldn't even burden you with it's tale. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. I found it supported none of the reason I was on the water and all the reason I love to use my IPOD. Not using it won out. I missed my friends heads up on a slab they had pulled up, a call to move to another stretch of river and the whole reason I'm out on the water.... the sounds and surroundings of the great outdoors.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

No earphones but on those long runs to the offshore grounds and while working the bait and switch got some Rolling Stones
fleetwood Mac

Browns nosing Yellow Sallies: Pneumonia, Whiskeytown
Makos, 14-mile bank, CA: Sea Change, Beck
Pere Marquette hexes: Methodrone, The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Hoppers, Madison River, MT: Fashion Nugget, Cake
Winter midging, Spinney, CO: Either/Or, Elliott Smith
Steelhead: American IV, Johnny Cash

Getting to and from the river: Lucero, Matthew Sweet, Modest Mouse, MMJ, Ween, Old 97s, Pavement, Replacements, Pixies, Radiohead, Stephen Malkmus, Spoon, The Wrens...

If you don't have everything here blasting your brainstem, get to work.

from GillRaker wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Oh Yeah, when you're flying over the Cape in a six-seater and you hit that shitty turbulence and madras-whale-panted gentlemen next to you starts to freak out, you're also going to need some: Monster Magnet, Motorhead, Flogging Molly, The Hives, Fu Manchu and Afghan Whigs.

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Whatever keeps you on the water or in the stand will help your success. Plus staying up beat and positive tends to rub off on your fishing.

from charlesw wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

While fishing for bass I use mine all the time. I find the different rhythms often create different cadences in my retrieves. Also just like throwing your favorite lure, I find that more often then not when a song comes on that's "produced" fish before it fires me back up, just like the crack of a branch while out deer hunting...

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Never an I-pod, don't own one. I will listen to the radio if I am fishing in a boat for something like catfish or soaking bait for giant reds in the pamlico sound. Any technical fishing I prefer the ambient sounds or if a bite is hot for that matter. Even bait fishing or trolling for big fish communication is sometimes needed in a hurry.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I almost forgot though if you are baiting fishing from the bank at night it is law in some states that you have a cooler of beer and a radio playing country music and southern rock.

from flyfishergirl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

1) Nope, no ipod for me, I am a pc girl - therefore, no apple products will touch this computer! :)
2) Most importantly, safety first, therefore no music.
3) I am clumsy, so that governs all.
4) Steelhead deserve guitar slinging blues, and nothing less.

from JKSMITH wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Never. I need my sense of hearing to pick up on animal noises (bears & moose), rising water noise on tail waters, and idiot noises (jet boat screaming upstream).

Favorite tunes for the pre-fishing drive or snowmachine trek - Blur "Song No. 2" and White Stripes "Hello Operator"

from BlackWater wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

There is nothing wrong with enjoying some music while fishing. The way I see it is if you are using an ipod you are probablly doing others a favor rather than playing a radio or CD that everyone has to listen to.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

unbelieveable...you guys have no idea what you're missing...like the subtle rise of that brown taking the extra-terrestrial right next to you or the splash of several 'bows just over there to your left...now, that's music to my ears...have you "metal heads" ever wondered why your creel is empty after hours on the river/lake...tune in to your earth not your downloads...

from micropterus wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I quit using my MP3 player after the first time I got the cord stuck in my reel. And it "REELY" hurts when those ear buds get yanked out that quick.

from wvboy1022 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Only if i cast out a line for catfish. I'd never ruin a perfect fishing trip up in the mountains with music hiding the sounds of nature. Well, maybe Skynyrd

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Soul of fly fishing (deep in my heart)is solitude,I listen the noise of mother nature.

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I love to listen to crickets chirping and frogs calling out to their ladies underneath the moonlit sky,

I am old school, listen to the sounds of nature while you are fishing.

from TeakPhillips wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Who needs an iPod? We have so many people blasting boom boxes on our creeks in the summer that it often feels like I'm watching Lynyrd Skynyrd live.

from bgreen902 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have never brought an ipod with me hunting or fishing....for one ive had bad experiences with even my cell phone and water.. haha...but i like to hear my surroundings when im out there..u never know whats coming! Who knows it could be a big muskie about to take a chunk out of your leg or a pack of coyotes ready to eat you alive.

from AKGomer wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

For me, I'm in the boat with the non-ipod bunch. God's creation is better music anyhow. Plus while out on the trail, its best to keep your senses clear in case a sow with cubs in tow should make an appearance.

However, isn't this still America, the land of the free?! To each his/her own.

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I think wanting to listen to music while fishing is ridiculous. One of the biggest and best parts of fishing is the places and things around you, it is like a form of detaching yourself from the environment.

from MB915 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from GillRaker wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Stripers, Muskeget Island, MA: Attack & Release, The Black Keys
Tarpon: Betty, Helmet
Browns nosing Yellow Sallies: Pneumonia, Whiskeytown
Makos, 14-mile bank, CA: Sea Change, Beck
Pere Marquette hexes: Methodrone, The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Hoppers, Madison River, MT: Fashion Nugget, Cake
Winter midging, Spinney, CO: Either/Or, Elliott Smith
Steelhead: American IV, Johnny Cash

If you don't have everything here blasting your brainstem, get to work.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

When I'm fishin' for fun,I never listen to my I-Pod.

from ohiohunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

what the heck is an ipod

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from hnestle wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from flyfishergirl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

2) Most importantly, safety first, therefore no music.
3) I am clumsy, so that governs all.
4) Steelhead deserve guitar slinging blues, and nothing less.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from buckeye wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from weve_25 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Deeter, Steelhead need jazz or good rock...

AP

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

AP

from MLH wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Evan V wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

If I fish near a busy road, I would consider it.
But more or less it would just get in my way.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from JKSMITH wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from BlackWater wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from wvboy1022 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I am old school, listen to the sounds of nature while you are fishing.

from TeakPhillips wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from bgreen902 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from AKGomer wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

However, isn't this still America, the land of the free?! To each his/her own.

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Personally I love it when people listen to ipods on the river...

the white wire is like a modern day scarlet letter