If you can't Duct it...

FlyTalk

August 06, 2009

If you can't Duct it...

By Tim Romano

I'm sure most of you can finish the rest of that sentence. Duct tape might just be the most handy tool an angler can have on a boat or in their vest. It patches waders, boats, holds together broken rods, makes pretty nifty sunglass retainers (like above), and just a week or so ago I actually used duct tape to hold my oar lock in place after a friend had straightened the cotter pin holding it in place. 12 inches if Duct tape literally saved an entire day of fishing. I'm curious though...

...what else have people used Duct tape for on the river? Moreover what's your little trick that's held together a day of fishing? Anglers tend to be improvisors and I'd love to hear what's your "go to" move that has saved the day for yourself or someone else on the river, lake or ocean.

TR

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

When surfcasting and using braid a little duck tape on your fingers saves many cuts.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Always keep a few soft plastics and a lighter in my wader pocket. You can melt it and smear it over a rip. Works well if you don't have duct tape handy.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Smallmouth fishing on the James river one time I had a rock tear a pretty good hole in my jonboat. A cut a piece of a styrofoam minnow buck and jammed it in the hole and hit the metal with a rock a few times to lock the foam on place. Got me through the rest of the drift trip till it could be repaired properly that evening.

from timromano wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

thanks gents. I forgot about using Duct tape as a stripping "glove" for the salt. I've definitely done that a couple of times...

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Same for me Tim, thats why I don't tarpon fish with those sharkskin lines anymore... ( a short trip to the E.R. later...)

Fix kayaks with duct tape, save a pair of waders/ boots.

Band aids, duct tape is waterproof and stronger, cover blisters with it, keeps you're skin from wearing away.

Wallets, shoes, lanyards, floatant holder, there are endless things duct tape does.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

those shittty simms felt sandals

they looked like tin slippers when i sent them back

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Ok, so this wasn't on the water but we used it to get to the water a lot. My Dad and Grandfather used duct tape to hold a fender, bumper, windshield wiper windshield and one window up in an old Ford.

from MLH wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Actually used it once to seal some duct work. Held a reel foot in place when the reel seat nut stripped. Splint for a broken finger. Bandaid. Broken glass frame fix. Considered using it on all visible body parts when I forgot my insect repellent.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

If you're in a kayak, it's handy to put on the big toes or heals of barefeet to prevent blisters from a dau of friction with the inside of the hull. It also makes a handy bandaid...especially if you have some fabric or something to pad the cut.

from seadog wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Hey MLH, you actually used duct tape for duct work? I think I've used it for just about everything else--never got around to using it for it's original purpose. I punched a hole in a fiberglass canoe once. The duct tape held up so well that I took several short trips before I got around to fixing it properly.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I was wearing a black tux to a formal engagement,and my wife noticed white fuzz on my tux.

Reached under the seat, and pulled out the duct tape,and it pulled the fuzz off my jacket,and the night was a black tie success!

from hjohn429 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I have Duct-taped my reel to my rod when it wouldn't stay; and i have Duct-taped some of those line loops back to my rod. Duct tape is just great stuff!

from jtboles wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

ne of my fvorite rods broke when a couple of buddies and i were in new mexico i broke it right above the reel holder and with a healthy amount of gorilla tape and a firm grip i managed to fish the rest of the day without the rod giving me any more greef

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

If I'm breaking in new boots or just about to do some serious hiking, I DT my feet. This probably isn't news to many of you. Let's just say it has held together just about anything I use including my body at various points. Also some weird, mostly unmentionable, maybe even illegal uses. I'm at the point where I just say DT, ya know?

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

The short list: I've used it to splint a broken bone, water pipes, water hoses, electrical units and even pack animal equipment. I've lines the interior of my mountain bike tire torn while on a decent above Lone Pine, CA. Liberally applied to suitcases, hems of pants, gloves and boots. Fabricated covering for windows, binding books, made 'rope' and held lenses in glasses. Hell, with DT and bailing wire I can rule my world!

from Bella wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Duct tape even comes in Realtree camo these days! I use it to hold the slip on recoil pad on the butt of my 12 gauge! Yea Duct tape!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

i have duct taped a spare rod to my kayak while river fishing. If i get a birds-nest or break-off, i switch to the spare with no delay.

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

In Alaska, it's often referred to as "100 mile an hour tape" by pilots.

The legend is that you can patch up a plane and fly up to 100 mph and the tape will still hold together well enough to get you home...

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Because I consider all you guys and gals my friends I'll give you a good tip. Do not use duct tape as toilet paper. It just doesn't work. Trust me. If you think you may forget, write it down.

from osobear wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

When I was a kid about 6 or 7 I cut the top half of my pinky toe off on a canned vegy top while wearing flip-flops. My mom rinsed it off with a milk jug of water and duct taped it back on. She then returned to fishing and my toe grew back together just fine. Duct tape saved my toe. If it hadn't been for the duct tape I would have lost my toe and probably wouldn't have gotten into the Air Force.

from osobear wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

My dad and brother always told me growing up that if it can't be fixed with duct tape it ain't worth having. (That may be why neither of them has ever touched a computer.) I've seen my brother duct tape boards together to finish building a wall when he ran out of nails, 18 years later the wall is still standing.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

medical equipment.

3" gash above a buddies eye from a handrail.

hand that was ripped open by a bluefish.

a buddy taped a gaff handle to my arm when my arm got caught between a pissed off thresher's tail and the side of the boat. broke it in two places.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Me and my cousin recently used chewed up gum to save the fishing day when our canoe had a leak. No folks this isn't some sort of cartoon joke we actually had a crack in the canoe and the gjm stuck on there perfect.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

The bigges life save I had with duct tape is using it to repaire the tip of a rod after snapping it off from slamming the car door on it. It really did save me a whole day of fishing and held up really well.

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

My old chest waders are actually more duct tape than PVC
and I was use it as a waist belt few time ago.

from MNflyfisher wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

We used duct tape to help make a splint for a hunting buddy when he broke his ankle.

from Pasportsman88 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

The old saying is "if you can't duck it..." for a reason. There aren't many things I haven't had to duct tape whilst fishing. Used it to hold my trolling motor wire to the hull of the boat, fixed my trolling motor handle with it until I could fix it properly, used it to tape an oar back together for an emergency when the battery for said trolling motor died, ahhh the good times with duct tape.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Fix kayaks with duct tape, save a pair of waders/ boots.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from jtboles wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

In Alaska, it's often referred to as "100 mile an hour tape" by pilots.

from osobear wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from osobear wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

medical equipment.

3" gash above a buddies eye from a handrail.

hand that was ripped open by a bluefish.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

My old chest waders are actually more duct tape than PVC
and I was use it as a waist belt few time ago.

from MNflyfisher wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago