Cermele: The Finest Summer Fishing?

The Lateral Line

July 02, 2009

Cermele: The Finest Summer Fishing?

By Joe Cermele

I love a day of offshore fishing immensely. But while the rush and team work involved in wrangling tuna or sharks is huge, such trips don't often qualify as "relaxing fishing" in my mind. You're on a mission that involves long-distance runs in the dark, days of watching weather patterns, a couple hundred bucks tied up in bait and fuel, a boat to clean when you return, and so on. Fun, but often stressful and always tiring...though it's a good tired.

Truth be told, one of my absolute favorite summer fisheries when I just want to have fun and chill out is river smallmouth. When it's hot, wading a smallie river with a few friends, not worrying about cost or putting meat in the cooler, is perhaps the most enjoyable day I can think of. It's just as fun in a boat, and this past Monday I had the chance to fish with F&S Editor Anthony Licata on the lower Susquehanna in Pennsylvania. Our guide for the day was my good friend Eric Kerber from On A Mission Fishing Adventures. The details of this trip are showcased in the latest episode of Field & Stream "Hook Shots" above. I hope you enjoy it.

What's your ideal summer day fishing trip? Hopefully you'll be partaking in one over the long weekend.

JC

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Doing this in the Niagara's Devil's Hole is one of my best fishing memories. Add in big, hard fighting drum and you have a fast action fun fest that is almost more joy than you can handle.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Hey Joe-
It looked like a B-L-A-S-T!

Magic Swimmer,triple jointed, looks like the real deal!
Where can we get 'em?

Valley Lodge's, Sentimental Lady was a nice touch too.

Loved the vid ... more, more, more!

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Great video! Give us more.
I love smallmouths too.

from senglund wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Seems like such an awesome day of fishing!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Nothing better than wading a small creek catching smallies on the fly. The fish are aggressive and plentiful which means a great day on the water.

Once again JC, great video. I'm waiting for your TV debut.

from Scott in Ohio wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Joe,

Very nice clip. I was fortunate enough to fish the Susky near 3-mile Island years ago and we slew the smallies. Shad body plastic jigs and jointed Rapalas were the big medicine then too.

I lived in Philly for 4 years and the ball cap on you guidng buddy brought back those memories. Do me a favor though and remind him that: "One year, two world Championships, Pittsburgh is America's BEST sports town"

- Sorry, I was born and raised in the 'Burg and couldn't resist!

from -Bob wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Alright Joe,

First it's the Delaware shad at New Hope. Next, the Jersey shore for blues and stripers. Now, the Susquehanna for smallmouths (although I typically wade upstream near the confluence of the Susquehanna and Juniata). STOP GIVING AWAY MY FISHING SPOTS! If I see an article on rock bass in the Neshaminy, we're gonna have words...

Of course, we kid. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

from Chrissea wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Another great video! You need a sponsor! You're right in that a day off shore can turn into a mission - I always thought fishing was for fun, a chance to relax and shoot the breeze with buddies. That's sometimes harder to do off shore but when you're wet wading for smallies, you're biggest worry is keeping your lighter dry. Keep the clips coming.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Nothing better than bassfishing on a local lake. Hell, if the fishing is not going too well, you can always jump in and cool off and try it later. I love being on the boat but fishing from a dock or land is just as good and a lot more cost effective.

from Scott in Ohio wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Joe,

- Sorry, I was born and raised in the 'Burg and couldn't resist!

from -Bob wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Alright Joe,

Of course, we kid. Great stuff. Keep it coming.

from Chrissea wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Hey Joe-
It looked like a B-L-A-S-T!

Magic Swimmer,triple jointed, looks like the real deal!
Where can we get 'em?

Valley Lodge's, Sentimental Lady was a nice touch too.

Loved the vid ... more, more, more!

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Great video! Give us more.
I love smallmouths too.

from senglund wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Seems like such an awesome day of fishing!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago

Once again JC, great video. I'm waiting for your TV debut.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 41 weeks ago