Cermele: The Scariest Hooks Ever?

The Lateral Line

July 21, 2009

Cermele: The Scariest Hooks Ever?

By Joe Cermele

I was chatting with UK-based Tackle Trade World Editor Nick Marlow at ICAST and he was agog over Eagle Claw's new TroKar hooks. "They're like something you'd see in a hospital," he told me. "They're a bit scary." I immediately made my way over to find horror movie-like posters of bass pros with the Medieval TroKar logo under the slogan "Draw Blood." Well, I did draw blood with these hooks, some of which was my own.

TroKars are surgically sharpened on all sides, giving you a hook point with an actual edge like a razor more akin to a fine broadhead than a hook. The point was apparently designed in the medical field. Eagle Claw refers to them as "sinfully sharp" and "gnarly instruments that will slice through a jugular" in their press release. But there is more benefit to these hooks than cutting through fishy faces.

Bass Pro Shaw Grigsby explained to me that if he's fishing a big softbait rigged weedless, he can now lessen his line and rod weight because the hooks cut through the plastic so easily, he doesn't need a powerful hook set. I finagled a pack of 2/0 wide-gap TroKars which I used for smallmouth this weekend. Shaw was right: I don't think I set the hook once. It seems a fish need only breathe on a TroKar and it's on. You'll notice tiny blood dots on my finger in the photo above. Those are from a few smallies shaking the fine point into my hand when I went to lip them. My buddy fished a differnet brand all day and  there was no comparison. And that's no B.S.

TroKars will be available in 6 styles for bass, and will sell for $12 a pack. What say you? Do you see an "edge" here?

JC

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

A new hook to tie flies on, Awesome!

from fisherdude wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

a little pricy butt i might have to try them

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

$12 a pack?!?! I'll stick to Gamakatsu, thanks. As awesome as these look, I just don't think I can justify spending that kind of dough.

from peter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

they seem great but i wouldnt pay that much

from Kim wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

fishing is a sport not something to support the national debt. prices are way out of line. I agree with the other guys, you can catch fish with a cheaper quality hook such as Gamakatsu or Owner. Hooks that sharp would be a real danger to kids that are learning to fish. Must be a 18 and over hook.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from ggmack wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

might give them a try. i primarily fish saltwater so the price is nothing new. i do fish the local ponds and streams so, if they work well in freshwater then i might try them for salt.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I use trokar tipped arrows for bowfishing and I know how sharp they can be. It only seems right to apply that technology to hooks. Those trokar tipped arrows do a fine job of busting their way through the big ol scales of a grass carp!

Hey!?!? Why doesn't F&S do some more stuff about bowfishing? After all, we are saving your bass one carp at a time!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

They look sharp as heLZ , but why is the back of the bend ground flat??? Or is that a photo f-- up on your pic?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My bad Walt. Poor cropping job. The hook isn't flat. Was focusing more on the point.

from jbird wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

How many are in that pack? $12 bucks seems kinda high, I would like to try em' though. If they're as good as you say, hopefully everyone will start making them and the price will drop.

from curt88 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

they look pretty neat and while the price is a little high for hooks, you can say the same thing about a lot of fishing gear these days, tungsten sinkers, super high modulus graphite rods, assorted high end lures, etc. in the end you can get by with a lot cheaper stuff, but there is a vast market out there for people who are more than willing to pay a premium for premium gear, its all a matter of taste

from riverdemon10 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have to say, I have lost more fish because the hook didn't get through the plastic or i got the bony part of the fishes mouth. This is an excellent idea and even with the price it is worth it. Joe, how many come in a pack and are they already on sale?

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Looks like most retailers sell them 5 for $9.99, so we're looking at $2 per hook. Not to endorse anybody but that big retailer that begins with a "C" has them on their website already.

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Those are pretty neat looking, that is pretty high prices, I have had good luck with my go to brands and they are not nearly that much, but like all fisherman I will give them a shot and see if they are worth the money.

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

A new rifle is more fun than not having to set the hook. I'll save my money for that.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I believe they are on to something here and a sharper edge means for fish on the hook for sure but that is kind of a hefty price for hooks. But I guess I understand the high price for a trade for such high technology I wonder how many come in a pack?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

As Troutrageous noted, there are 5 in a pack and a few retailers like Dick's and Cabela's are already selling them. The prices I posted are Eagle Claw's suggested retail, but they are a bit cheaper on aforementioned sites.

from the_golf_guy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Yep...sharper is better...but yes, a bit pricey?

I take my normal "not so pricey" hooks and lightly touch the points on all four sides with my Dremel tool and a small cutting wheel. Makes the same looking type of pyramid-type point I see in this photo...and they are sharp as hell....and not so pricey?

For those of us looking to get the same results for a few less pennies?

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Now we know the penetration caracts,also the price but...How easy is to safe fish for release it?

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I definitely get a pack of it....It's pricey but hopefully it will do the job.......

from mcrumrine wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I agree with TGG. I used to do the same thing with a pack of Mustad hooks and a cheap hook file. only took about 4 swipes with the file and they were raxor sharp.

from kbkayakin wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I always hit my TRU-TURN hooks with a small file, if it sticks in your thumbnail it is sharp enough! $10 bucks a pack is WAY too much!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

IF I CAN FIND "EM" I WILL PROBLY TRY THEM.Ive BEEN USING THE OWNER CUTTING POINT HOOKS WITH REAL NICE RESULTS.

from rackxmaster4 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I think everything deserves a shot. Im headin to Canada on friday and if I can pick up a pack or two bfor I go ill give em a shot and let yall know how they do.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from curt88 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

A new hook to tie flies on, Awesome!

from fisherdude wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

a little pricy butt i might have to try them

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from peter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

they seem great but i wouldnt pay that much

from ggmack wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from riverdemon10 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from troutrageous1 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from dwaynez wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from the_golf_guy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Yep...sharper is better...but yes, a bit pricey?

For those of us looking to get the same results for a few less pennies?

from aragonnapoles wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago