The Answer Line is Open... And You Could Win a Prize

FlyTalk

June 16, 2009

The Answer Line is Open... And You Could Win a Prize

By Kirk Deeter

Maybe it's the fresh Michigan air.  Maybe it's the swarms of gray drakes I saw above the river last night.  In any regard I'm in a good mood.  And that means I'm giving away more stuff.

This time, we're giving away a Simms Headwaters vest, which retails for $99.95, and is my personal favorite for fishing light, cool, and lean in hot summer months.

To win it, all you have to do is...

Submit a question on anything flyfishing related.  How to tie a certain knot... What do you do when X or Y happens... I need help with fixing this issue with my cast... whatever.

We're going to make Fly Talk like Car Talk.  You give us questions, we'll give you answers.

We'll answer many of the questions in the comment thread below, and for the best question, we'll go out and shoot our answer on video and make it a post on the blog in a few weeks.  Submit that question, win the vest.  Simple.

Good luck.  The lines are now open.

Deeter

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I don't expect this to be a winner of any sort, but If I was just starting to flyfish, what would be a good beginning set up?

from chris.p.c. wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What is the proper way to land a large fish while wading with a long fly rod when you are alone? I snapped a nice 9' fly rod while landing a very large steelhead. It's hard to get the fish close to the net when you have a long flyrod between you and the fish, even when you have it raised as high as possible. I believe this would be a good question to be answered via video demonstration.

from rrmont wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What do you do when you've tried every fly you have and the fish still swim right by it?

from YooperRyan wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Here in colorado, and elsewhere I imagine, a double nymph rig seems to be a popular way to go. A lot of times the flys employed by this method are already weighted which is convenient, but in other situations they are not. For instance, using a san jan worm as a lead or "attractor" pattern followed by an RS2 or some other small midge type nymph. My question is, in this unweighted situation, where is it appropriate to place your weight? above? Between? Both? Or for that matter let's assume you are using a weighted fly(s) but they aren’t getting down enough because you're fishing faster water. Are there any general rules for how you should proportion you wieght relative to it's placement? I've heard many opinions on the matter and was curious if there is a right or wrong answer as to what achieves the best overall presentation. Additionally, are there any considerations one should take into account when casting this kind of setup that may have mulitiple points of wieght to avoid twist ups?

Thanks,

Ryan

from leifjohn wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

How would you go about setting up (rod weight versus line weight + weight and size of fly) to achieve maximum casting distance?

from senglund wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I'm relatively new to fly fishing, but I'm already in love with it. I've always liked catching different species of fish, but I'm on a limited budget. I can't afford a bunch of reels and rods. If I wanted to use the same rod and reel for trout, bass, and panfish, what do I need to look for in regards to line and rod?

from scooby wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Airport, gunman with one hostage. He's using her for cover; he's almost to a plane. You're a hundred feet away... Oh wait, that's "Speed"...

Seriously though, I have a technique question: I'm noticing a pronounced twist in my leader when I cast, to the point where if I strip in and hold it off the water the fly spins like a failed "sleeper" yo-yo; why does this happen and how can I correct it?

And a tactical question: with no obvious hatch, but good holding water, you come to slight bend with a big rock on the inside of the turn, so you have both pocket water around the rock and a bankside run; what's the best rig for probing both without having to re-rig?

And finally, a strategic-philosophical-metaphysical question: the fish are rising selectively to one particular pattern, of which you only have 2 flies left, but there's 3 fisherman in your party; who gets the flies?

from cTXn wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

The other day I asked a question about how to tie on a dropper fly to a dry fly, and got a lot of helpful results. Now my problem is that the rivier I usually fish has a lot of overhanging trees, brush, and grass so the fish naturally keep close to the deep runs along the bank. When I make a cast I can't get both flies in close enough to the bank without snagging something, so I have to sacrifice placement on my dry fly. What is a good way to get both flies to take a similar drift pattern without having to cross the stream and cast direclty upstream?

from Arlo269 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

The stream I fish in is water that is very cold year round due to the depth from which it flows through a power geration dam. The rocks in this stream are very slick and i have tried Rubber tread wading boots and also felt sole wading boots and still I slip and slide thus spooking the fish. Before I purchase the spiked treads and blow a little more money do you think this will be the answer.

from vince wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Why are trout picky about flies, but still eat a good looking nymph with a giant hook sticking out?

Also, what is your change protocol when things are slow? Weight, leader, fly?

from eddavidson9 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I feel that people (fly fishers, tiers, writers, manufacturers, myself) tend to over-complicate the passtime. What are some ways to help myself simplify the process and also potentially minimize my financial outlay?

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What is the best thing to do if you top your waders and lose bottom in deep fast moving water? (that could be an interesting video)

from tourneyking734 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

here's a question, how do I catch the 5 lb brook trout that inhabit my stream. We have them patterned out and I even lost one on a spinning rod (it ran into the alders and broke off). Our stream is only about 40 ft wide at the widest and mostly shallow with 2 deep holes of about 12 feet. The stream is in maine and is pretty chilly most of the year. But we have only caught fish up to 16" and no big fish. Is it our tecnique or our fly selection. Or are they just next to impossible to catch. Just give me your input on what your ideas for this stream are.

from jonah wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I'm finally giving my dad back his gear and picking up my own. I'm buying rubber-soled boots because I fish multiple rivers and don't want to transplant any bad things. But here's the real question: What's the best (budget) setup for making as small an environmental impact as possible? Should I get neoprene waders rather than breathable? An American made rod rather than an imported one? What other things should I be thinking about when trying to be as green as I can reasonably be?

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Is there a good way to present a nymph/streamer to trout facing downstream on the bottom of a sharp dropoff?

Oden Fish Hatchery in Alanson, MI, up by Petosky, has a viewing window cut into the side of a trout stream. Last time I visited there was this situation - trout facing downstream after a sharp dropoff which created a small reverse eddy underneath the current flowing downstream. They were down about 3-4 feet. (Picture on the website shows that the stream bed has since changed.) Other trout were facing upstream.

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Deeter - hoping you're enjoying your stay in Michigan. Heard the bugs were thicker and the bite better on Sunday than many have seen in a long time. Missed it due to a graduation and can't make it north until at least Sunday. You need to visit more often - especially if you bring the good fishing with you.

from TypeCast395 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Why would one use a commercially made indicator above a nymph rather than trailing the nymph under a dry fly?

It seems like the dry can fill the same role as an indicator while giving the fish a second option.

from matakis wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Instead of using tippets, could you use regular mono tied to the fly line?

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Question -
Most anglers appear to prefer to use a spinning rod in dirty or colored water,is fly fishing hopeless in such conditions?

from ifish2fish wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What are the different ways to to tie on multiple flies?

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

How does barometric pressure correspond to fish behavior and what constitutes low and high pressure?

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

How do you double haul? I've read about it, but I'll be dang if I can figure out the mechanics. What about shooting heads? I'm looking for distance tips here because I normally fish a saltwater lagoon and it's a lot of water to cover.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

This is what I've been waiting for. An "Ask Deet" section of Flytalk.

My first question is not a question but a senerio. It's a common senerio and I think most of us can relate. You are standing in the middle of a stream and a trout is rising directly upstream of you. The water is slow and clear and landing the line on top of the fish will spook it. Moving any closer or to the right or left will also spook it. How do you cast your dry fly to this fish?

I know of two possible answers. I want to know "WHAT WOULD DEET DO?"

from hunterkid94 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I've never got to flyfish. After reading your blogs, it sounds like alot of fun. So my question is, how do you get started? I need alot of help on this one!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Why do we spend thousands of money on fly gear, when I could just as easily go to wallmart and pay 20 dollars for a fly rod+ reel, whats so good about really expensive gear? (I know the answer, have experienced it my self, and do own high- end gear.)

AP

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

She’s an absolute knock-out. You’ve been flirting with her every day for weeks. Each time you pull into the drive-up window, she leans out, flashes you that knowing smile, and sometimes reaches out to touch you. “Morning Kirk! The usual?” She’s as dumb as a box of rocks, but who cares – you don’t buy your coffee here because she’s smart or cultured, do you??.

During the weeks of small talk, she learns that you love to fly-fish. Then one day, she abruptly asks you: “So, whenya gonna take me fishin with you?” You nearly swallow your Copenhagen. You re-group. You offer to pick her up after she gets off work: “Ah, don’t worry - I’ll bring all the gear. We’ll fish the evening hatch and have dinner by the river. How’s that sound?” She gushes, clapping her tiny hands together and doing little hip-hops in front of the cash register.

Now you’re on the river, and you’ve never seen anything like it. The Hex hatch is so heavy the air around you hums. Every trout in the river is on the prowl – there are rising fish everywhere. Your biggest challenge is to avoid flock shooting. An enormous fish crashes to the surface only 20 feet from you. “Calm down, man – it’s a good one. Oh man…a real good one. There he is again. Now carefully – cast carefully…”

Then you hear over your shoulder: “Kirk, honey – I’ve got something to show you...” Out of the corner of your eye, you sense a pile of clothes on the riverbank: your spare pair of waders, some jeans, a halter top, a thong…

What do you do?

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

How do you modify your leader, tippet, and cast to accomodate a weighted dual nymph rig?

from kyka1865 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I am trying to create a carp fly to use on some of the small ponds around my home as well as some othe rbodies of water. I have seen them feed occasionally on the cottonwood seeds that float blow into the water. Can you suggest any tying material that would replicate this wispy, bouyant seed?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Is there anything that makes the process of pushing a barbed eyelet into the end of flyline? I prefer these to knotting on a tippet.

from Big O wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What is the "world record" for a striper on a fly rod?
What was the tippet size?
Step-dad is using a 6wt.flyrod for (fresh water) stripers. Biggest he's caught (so far) 16lbs and change, on a 30lb tippet.

from ODizzler wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

On summer evenings I often encounter multiple hatches and spinnerfalls at once. With multiple species and life stages on the water at one time, even agressively rising trout can become suprisingly selective. In this situation is there a systematic way to determine what fly/ flies to use? How is this best done quickly and in fading light?

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

LOL Woodstock.., what would YOU do?

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

since you're in northern MI...

Traditional dry fly fishing while wading is thought to be done upstream...
But sometimes that big head pokes up below you OR the water has obstacles that make up stream approaches impossible. When is it appropriate to fish dries down stream and what are some tech and tips? (ie reading water, casts, approach, gear)

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I am certainly not as skilled in the sport as I would like to be...but I have done a lot of teaching to absolute beginners- young kids mostly, and I have kind of a curriculum put together with basic skills, casts, knots, equipment selection etc., and kinisthetic rubrics that break down each basic cast, which is helpful for coaching someone other than yourself... my question is, what have you learned about self assessment? What are 5-7 (or more) cues that a beginner or intermediate fly caster can observe about their own casting to make adjustements in their technique in order to avoid developing or perpetuating bad habits? Without watching yourself from a third person perspective, how do you figure out what wrinkles to iron out?

from ninja wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

How do you keep a perfection loop from slipping? This is the first season I have been regularly tying this knot as a connection to a furled leader, and sometimes the loop stays the same size, and sometimes it cinches. Help. A future lunker may be at stake!

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

The question is specific to trout and understanding the spawning. #1 When does spawning usually occur in the (place region here) and #2 How long does it last. Is it different at higher elevations? Ethical question: Should we have streams (rivers and lakes closed) during this period to stop the harassment of the species?

This question does not have to do with 'how to fish during spawning'. I know the question is broad, but there could be a series of articles to inform.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What are the most important things for new users of stranded poly furled leaders to keep in mind as they make the switch from tapered mono leaders?

yrs-
Evan!

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Awesome. I'll start my answers today...

Woodstock. If I could figure out a way to cast and shoot that one, I will. Longshot.

The answer, of course is to fish on...

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Woodstock......switch rods.

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Woodstock - now that would make an interesting video.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Where I fish there are cutbanks that make trout fishing hard how would you present a fly to to them from water and from land.

from huntfish37 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

There's a stream nearby that I would like to tackle. The problem is, there's barely any room to work.The stream is not very wide, and the bank's are covered with small trees and brush. What would be the best casts to work with, and the best techniques?

from Evan V wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

If Tim catches a 20 inch cutthroat, and no-one is around to photograph it, did it really happen?

from time2be wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I have been unable to fly fish for several years and now that I am able I was wondering how long does flyline last you know how often should it be replaced?

from jfred17 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I fish all over Colorado. Lakes, streams, rivers, etc. I do really well fishing small streams. I am horrible at fishing larger rivers. I can not for the life of figure out why this is. What is the difference between fishing small streams to these large rivers? Thanks!

from qwerfdsa12345 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Hi, I'm a Life Scout living in Washington (with just my Eagle Project left to do to make me an Eagle scout) and on one of my Boy Scout 50-miler hikes my Scoutmaster taught me how to fly fish on a tiny mountain stream casting to feisty little rainbows with an elk hair caddis. Ever since, I was hooked. Just the thing is, I've wanted to continue fishing every time I go camping, but I'm not sure what kind of fly rod set up to get. I tried bringing a 9ft 5wt to a hiking trip, but that didn't work out too well. What would be the best selection fly rod setup for fishing tiny mountain streams?

from dsills wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

When fly fishing in swift streams, it is best to let the fly just float dead in the current, or should I retrieve/move it with some kind of action like when bass fishing on spin casting gear?

from mepepi wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I was just fishing a spring creek in Montana and i was fishing a wooly bugger that had some sparkle in it with a baetis nymph dropper about 18in from the other fly. I caught a lot of fish and a large 24 inch brown. there was a lot of other people there that didnt have the same luck. I thought it was due to the sparkle bugger but I'm not sure. What is responsible for that happening.
One more question. One a clear spring creek how far is far enough to start a stealthy approach to your fishing shot?

from RyanMc wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

This is more pertained to fly-tying:

What's the best/ easiest way to tie lead weight on to smaller nymph flies (18 and smaller)?

Are bead heads the only way to go?

from Jesco wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

I don't fish for trout. Living in Ohio, I fly-fish for bass, big Bluegill and Carp. How about a segment on equipment for one or all of these vastly different species?

from Sucram wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I'm a beginner at fly-tying, but I like to stock my vest with all the basics in various sizes. Any fly with deer/elk hair (esp. muddlers and elk-hair caddis patterns) kicks my butt. My problems... elk-hair spins when I want it to clump... fans out when I want it to stay together... and I don't even know where to begin with the muddler.

Can you show me how to handle elk/deer hair when tying flies?

BTW, I think a weekly/bi-weekly fly-tying video of the most popular patterns would be suh-weet!

from slapartist wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

As a native to Montana I am proud to say that I am finally fly fishing. Like anything new, many questions are asked. Here is my question.

I purchased Simms Headwaters Stockingfoot waders about 20 days ago. I already brought my first pair back and received a second. Just like my first, the pair has already begun to leak. I am not at all hard on my waders. From the side of a pond and into the water is about the length of my walking, but after an hour or so my waders have already begun to leak. Upon spraying my gore-tex waders with rubbing alcohol the waders look like I wrestled the fish. There are large; 50 cent piece large gray marks on the inside. In addition to these giant gray spots, seams of gray are lining my gore-tex membrane. This seam is not on the seam stitching itself. Is this caused by rolling my waders up and placing them in my dry bag? I have a large dry bag and I very carefully roll my waders up and place them into this bag. I hang my waders up after every use. Is there a specific way to handle waders? Am I going to have to use 7 bottles of aquaseal to keep them from leaking? I am almost at the end of dealing with simms waders; enough is enough. How many pairs must it take?

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

when drifting small dry flies,like #18 gnats, how can i help reduce micro drag on the fly? i've been turned down by too many nice wild brookies fishing in clear water, its starting to hurt more than my pride..

from Nympho wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

What are the best prequels, pleas, and/or actions that will compel my wife to say "you should take some time to yourself and go fishing"?

from slapartist wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from chris.p.c. wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from YooperRyan wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks,

Ryan

from scooby wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Arlo269 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from TypeCast395 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Awesome. I'll start my answers today...

The answer, of course is to fish on...

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Woodstock......switch rods.

from jfred17 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from qwerfdsa12345 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Nympho wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

from rrmont wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from leifjohn wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from senglund wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from cTXn wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from vince wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Also, what is your change protocol when things are slow? Weight, leader, fly?

from eddavidson9 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from tourneyking734 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from matakis wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Instead of using tippets, could you use regular mono tied to the fly line?

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Question -

from ifish2fish wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What are the different ways to to tie on multiple flies?

from Steven9253 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

This is what I've been waiting for. An "Ask Deet" section of Flytalk.

I know of two possible answers. I want to know "WHAT WOULD DEET DO?"

from hunterkid94 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

AP

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What do you do?

from elkslayer wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from kyka1865 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

What is the "world record" for a striper on a fly rod?
What was the tippet size?

from ODizzler wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

LOL Woodstock.., what would YOU do?

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

since you're in northern MI...

Traditional dry fly fishing while wading is thought to be done upstream...

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from ninja wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

yrs-
Evan!

from MLH wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Woodstock - now that would make an interesting video.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from huntfish37 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Evan V wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from time2be wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from dsills wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from mepepi wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from RyanMc wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

This is more pertained to fly-tying:

Are bead heads the only way to go?

from Jesco wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

from Sucram wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Can you show me how to handle elk/deer hair when tying flies?

from madtrapper wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago