Does Catch and Release Reduce Trespassing Offense?

FlyTalk

June 24, 2009

Does Catch and Release Reduce Trespassing Offense?

By Kirk Deeter

I have a guide buddy (who will remain anonymous) who once summed up the fishing and trespassing debate this way:

"Only the outlaws catch the big fish."

Which in some states like Colorado is probably true.  I know the biggest fish there live in waters behind fences.  (Call it high fence fishing if you want).  I know I've had a lot of fun fishing behind some of those fences.  And I know that I have felt the sudden urge to jump some of those fences now and again.  Whether I did or not...

Well, you'll have to make your own educated guess.

How do you net out on the private water issue?

I ran into a guy on the river the other day.  He was trespassing on private property (I was not).  I didn't know whether I should say something or not.

He said, "Oh don't worry I'm just catching and releasing."  Does that make it less of an offense?  I mean, let's be honest, the real reason people hang signs is because they get all worked up that someone might jump in their river and catch "their fish"... or even kill one.  Is catching and releasing somehow less of a violation?  Probably not.

Then again, I'd consider a few small fish poached on private water a lesser violation than one big trophy brown (beyond eating size) taken from public water like, say, the Big Hole, because it's somebody's right to do so.  Bull corn.

I will also say this.  "Keep out" signs do a pretty good job of keeping people out of the woods, and off the rivers.  Especially young ones.  As a writer who depends on people who like the outdoors... enough that they might actually want to read stories about it, I've always had a hard time making the emotional jump over the no trespassing issue.  I think we need fewer signs, not more.

For the record, I wished Mr. Catch-and-Release good luck, and fished on, feeling like I hadn't been stepped on in the least.

Deeter

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

The catch & release might lessen the actual harm but a trespass is still a trespass. I think you should respect the owners property rights (even though not all property owners deserve that respect). I can't say I never hopped a fence in my youth, but I wouldn't do it now. I think questions like this are going to heat up in the coming years. There isn't enough public land to go around now. As we continue the paving of America--as cities & suburbs get bigger & bigger--the conflicts will only get worse.

from Big O wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

That's like a guy jumping the fence, and saying " I'm just scouting."
THE LAW IS THE LAW ! PEROID ! ! !
Idiots like that make all us "LEGAL" outdoors people look BAD !

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

It all depends on the situation...

but yes, i will hop a fence

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Im guilty...

we called it "guerrilla fishing"...
when I was a boy in Montana, a neighboring ranch had a stock pond full of giant, uneducated browns...we'd hop the fence, dodge the pissed off bulls and commence...it was WRONG and illegal and I wouldnt do it again...kid stuff...

from MB915 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

How in your right mind do you even consider any form of poaching, regardless of size better than keeping any legal fish? Not sure what ethics you follow, but trespassing is wrong, and illegal, as is poaching. Being that your write on a blog for a major magazine, just but telling your readers that poaching small fish is ok, you are sending the wrong message to many outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen along with adding more fuel to the fire for the anti's.

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I guess I get a case of the ass when people don't repsect the fact that my dad worked real hard to buy his own place where he could fish without being elbow to elbow with some drunk yoakel, or anyone for that matter. Property rights are real big deal to me, as are access issues. When I still lived in georgia I fished on 2 private streams all the time, with standing permission, but I still gave a curtesy call before hand anyway. And I guarantee because of that and the fact that I'd pitch in and help do maintenance on the properties it will be easier for the next guy to get permission. It's all about respect, I wouldn't run you out of the hole your working, or crowd you, so I'm not gonna jump your fence either.

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I don't keep fish...

I also don't buy a lic in close to half the states I fish... esspecially if i'm on remote wild section of water

from Big O wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

To KingFisher907: We called it "Combat Fishing".(Never said I did'nt do it AS A KID !)

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Hell kids will be kids- I think we all did that... I know my boy does it now at my wifes parents neighbors pond, and when he gets caught by them they raise hell, and I just raise my hands up and shake my head. But it's also my responsibility to teach him too, and I take it seriously. Guess that's the difference between 5 and 31. when your 5 with a bike and a fishing pole the world is your oyster, God help me when he can drive.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I call it "stretching barbwire". Trespassing is wrong. If you want to fish private land, ask permission, buy it or lease it or just don't go.

My fishing club which we started in 1989 leases local ponds for it's membership. For $30/year you can fish some nice places which we take care of and sometimes stock if we have extra money.

Same with hunting land. I got together with another buddy and bought the best deer hunting place in the county. It's comforting to know my grandchildren will be killing deer on it long after I'm gone.

So when it comes to trespassing most of us can't afford to fish the good waters, so find a few friends and break the piggy bank. You'll find it's worth it.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Trespassing is trespassing. I married into a ranching family and they will pretty much let anyone hunt if they ask, trespass and you'll be asked to leave. I will say I have trespassed before, and it was illegal, even when I crossed a fence to get a dove that fell 20 yards on the other side. I think there is an ethical line that you have to establish for yourself and then be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I honestly challange anyone (in Illinois)that wants to say I'm trespassing on there property if I am fishing.
Why? In the state of Illinois any water (river, lake, ect)
that is not surrounded completely by 1 person's property is public water, as long as you stay within 3 feet of the water. Love to see people call the cops on me when I'm wading and they say the WATER is theirs. When the cops come, they learn that lesson the hard way. Never even been bothered by the cops or DNR for it, they usually ask how the fishing is.

AP

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I've jumped a few fences when I was a much younger lad and fleet of foot. I remember a scenario every time I pass a certain farm.

My brother and myself would wait until it was dark and park our vehicle in a hidden area some distance from the treasured cove.

One evening as we approached the last crest in the hill, I heard a conversation near the water that we were headed towards. As we regrouped,I suggested to my brother that the men that were having the conversation maybe trespassing too.

If they were the owners, we were far enough away that we could sprint back to the car and get out of Dodge,before they could grab our young butts.

We backed down the hill and in my most manly voice I said,"There better not be anyone trespassing or fishin' on my lake, I'll get 'em and get 'em good!"

We crawled on our bellies and peeked over the crest to see 4-white tee shirts scampering up the hill.

We had the lake the rest of the night to ourselves.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

And Ramcatt, buy the darn license, there not that expensive when you consider the couple hundred dollar ticket, and the DNR in you're state may take ALL the gear you have on you, along with the car, I've seen it happen, and I see it fit and not at ll extreme.

AP

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

*All, need to read over my posts over...

2Poppa, that's a great story!

AP

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

lol 2poppa, thats awesome!

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Great story, 2Poppa.
Hey Alex P, In Florida, any navigable water is public. If its just a little trickle of a stream, it can be private. I don't know if it's the same where you are.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I don't think its like that up here, many streams are on many separate landowners property, so I think that's why they made it that way.

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

AlexP, I like that. If you can walk the stream, you're good to go. Tight lines!

from timromano wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

I don't want to put words in Deeter's mouth, but what I think he's saying is this...

There's too many fences period and by letting someone poach a few small fish on private property perhaps that same person won't go and take a massive fish from public property. As we all know, once (trout) get to a certain size they really aren't that good for eating anyway. That's usually just an excuse for bragging rights. Perhaps I'm wrong here, but that's how I'm viewing it...

from crfromsc wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Do you want someone coming in your house without permission while you are not watching?. It is no different. If it is not your property you have no right to be on it period.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

There's a lot of deep thought in that article. While at work it's just easier to keep it simple.

2048

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Ethics... they are not objective anymore... I suggest to all to think of it this way: Do what's right because its the right thing to do. And do what is right even when nobody is watching. What goes around comes around, the Golden Rule, etc. etc. If we all lived this way, there would be little need to post land in the first place, and fishing a neighbor's pond would be no question of if, but when.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

That's like a guy saying "I'm going to return it later" after stealing something. It is still illegal!

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Fences are built as demarcations of land ownership (property lines), to keep your property (stock) within the confine of you grazing land. They are meant to reduce others from riding in and rounding up.

Private Waters. (Catch and Release) Water flows, unlike cattle or sheep that can be stolen, are not stagnant. Fish migrate from area to area. Fisherman who practice Catch and Release remove nothing. We neither kill nor remove what is not the property of the land owner. I understand not wanting hordes of humanity trudging through your land, cutting through fields of just planted crops to reach a strip of water that yields fish, but to cut access next to a roadway or trail... not right. If people are willing to close all gates, protect the land they tread on and respect the landowners property I see no reason to restrict. It is a selfish act.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

On a favorite stretch of blue ribbon river, catch & release only, I watched a fisher haul off a nice brook trout. I was a bit taken aback. Geez, I am releasing fish and this fisher is eating them. If not the fisher then the eagles nesting downstream. Trout actually die! Laughed at myself for forgetting that there is an order to nature. That little experience led me to stop judging other anglers. Helps my blood pressure and makes me easier to be around.

I try to respect other’s rights, whether or not I agree. I have yet to keep a trout from any stream. If I caught that Big Hole brown it would still be swimming. But I have no right berating the angler who kept that fish. It is best for me to just congratulate him and move on, even if I have to rationalize.

If the rules say he can keep the fish then the population must be sustainable. If not then I can work to get the rules changed. If I harp on a guy within his rights is it not then for my own self-righteousness? Is keeping a trophy fish any different than a hunter taking a tough old tom turkey or graying old buck?

I will always encourage catch & release. But in areas with legal creel limits I won’t judge. Perhaps, one day, I will even take a brookie back to camp. I hear they are delicious grilled.

Perhaps matouse3 can answer this … I’ve seen estimates for brown trout life expectancy anywhere from 4 to 13 years, depending on environment. Do they reach an age where their reproductive capability severely declines?

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Well, I live in Montana... So I don't worry about it much.

To all of you "the law is the law" types, I would say that I, along with Deeter perhaps, value the fishery much more than the "property rights" of out of state zillionaires. So I would also much rather see someone "poach" a few small trout from private waters, that see someone legally kill a top spawner for bragging rights.

I do still take my .45 when fishing Mitchell Slough or the Gallitin though.....

from steve182 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

As a 14 y.o. kid I tresspassed on a nice stream in the Catskills, during a rainstorm. We caught several nice rainbows and browns that made a tastey breakfast. we very nearly got caught. That was 24 years ago, haven't done it since. Sometimes its heartbreaking to see the best fishing or hunting totally POSTED off but i do have more respect for the law and other people than i did at 14, so i heed the posters.

from countitandone wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Deeter...I take exception with your "let's be honest" scenario. We post because human beings are the filthiest animal yet to inhabit this planet...we are not, as a whole, good stewards. I am not trying to solicite a fortress mentality of the few (land owners) against the many (anglers). I have seen quality waters spoiled to the degree of being unfishable, ie., East Walker River, Nevada, North Fork of the Stillaquamish, Snohomish County, Washington, and I know your readers are right now bringing to mind their own, once cherished fisheries turned disappointments. In review, post more signs, make the guilty feel guilty because they are. The real "lesser violation" , fence or no fence, is not buying a license...to fish "in a wild, remote section of water." Brother!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

WHO CARES IF THE GUY IS TURNING THE FISH BACK! HES TRESSPASSING.CUT AND DRIED.I COULD SEE A LESSER FINE IF HE GOT CAUGHT PACKING OUT A FEW TRASH BAGS FULL OF LITTER WE ALL FIND A LONG OUR WATERWAYS.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

We had the lake the rest of the night to ourselves.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Why? In the state of Illinois any water (river, lake, ect)

AP

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

AP

from Big O wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

That's like a guy jumping the fence, and saying " I'm just scouting."
THE LAW IS THE LAW ! PEROID ! ! !
Idiots like that make all us "LEGAL" outdoors people look BAD !

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Im guilty...

we called it "guerrilla fishing"...

from Big O wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from crfromsc wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

*All, need to read over my posts over...

2Poppa, that's a great story!

AP

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

lol 2poppa, thats awesome!

from MB915 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

2048

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Great story, 2Poppa.

from seadog wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

AlexP, I like that. If you can walk the stream, you're good to go. Tight lines!

from Big Mike wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

Well, I live in Montana... So I don't worry about it much.

I do still take my .45 when fishing Mitchell Slough or the Gallitin though.....

from 175rltw wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 42 weeks ago

It all depends on the situation...

but yes, i will hop a fence