What's Your Best Bug Hatch?

FlyTalk

May 07, 2009

What's Your Best Bug Hatch?

By Tim Romano

Photo by Tim Romano

Finally! The rivers are ice free, bugs are hatching and for the first time this season I'm unwrapping the raft. A bunch of friends are dragging our boats down to the Arkansas river this weekend for the Mother's Day caddis hatch. It's one of the first en masse movements of bugs in our state and we've all got cabin fever.

Yeah, we've had some BWO's popping and next will be pteronarcys californica or the salmon flies (pictured above). They're my personal favorites... It got me thinking though, what hatches, spawning runs, migrations, and bait busts have I never heard about. There's the PMD spinner fall, the skwala hatch up in Montana, midge madness at Lee's Ferry, the smelt run in Maine, the crab flush at Boca Grande, and worms hatching for tarpon in the Keys.  What am I missing? Help a brother out here and give me some more to put on my life list?

TR

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

The Stocker Trout Hatch for wiper at Aurora Reservoir. Stocking truck pulls up and you pull out the 10wt and rainbow trout streamer and get ready to watch 10+ pound wiper slam those stockers like a school of baitfish.

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

That is awesome! Is it a set time always? Or do you have to know somebody at the DOW? Perhaps we could meet up for this one Koldkut?

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Penns Creek green drakes...have to see it to believe it

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

there is the killer ******* on the ****** ****** river... it was last month... and now the sulphers are starting.

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

where I grew up in Montana, we lived, breathed and slept according to the salmonfly hatch...my brothers and I would follow that hatch up and down the yellowstone until it was no more...those huge pink stones were worth waiting all year for...here in Alaska hatches are less defined and less reliable, also the fish arent as picky, unless your fishing that tourist hell-hole, the kenai...

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Kingfisher907 you are so right, when I lived in Soldotna a town of about 3000 we could fish the Kenai, Kasailof and running into about a dozen people that is until June when the town went from 3000 to about 250,000 and loaded with a@#holes drove me nuts.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

The spring steelhead run in Ohio is all but dead at this point. The hendrickson hatch is also winding down on the Mad River. The bluegill are on the bed and ready for anything that drops in front of them. The bass are also on the bed. It's Ohio. Not much to talk about.

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

buckhunter,

Bass and Bluegill sound like fun to me... I'm sure there's plenty of fishing in Ohio.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I'm going to say the Heaxgenia hatch in Michigan. Just when you think there's nothing but little fish in the river, the magic hits the water, and Mr. Big Brown comes out of that stumpy run for the buffet.

from karmano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

The Green Drake hatch all up and down the Roaring Fork Valley is rediculous.

from tourneyking734 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

not only in maine do we have the smelt run, we have the herring run, and a nice caddisfly hatch, but the trick to that is to use tiny flies

from Evan V wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I saw a bwo hatch back in march.
But I see damselflies all the time. Does that count?

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Major Caddis for us Tim, I know you like carp, and you need to get over my way to fish for them, they hit elk hair caddis like crazy, and landing a 10 pounder on a 3 wt is fun.

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I do love the carp...

10 pounder on a 3 wt!? you're asking for it brother...

It'd be a miracle if a carp here EVER ate a Caddis. Maybe once or twice a year - max.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

HA, just got back from fishing here Tim, 16 pdr on a 3 wt and some 4 to 10 pdrs, all on dry flies.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

green drakes on tiny appalachian streams.

there are some epic hatches on eastern streams, but I don't know that they truly compare with some of the big hatches on western streams. I hope to someday be able to compare.

yrs-
Evan!

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

16lb carp on a 3wt...

i know you're only like 14 but you exaggerate like someone 4 times your age

from Wags wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Hey Kirk, you stole mine.....I like the PM down near Walhalla and the South Branch of the Ausable through the Mason Tract. Those Hex flies are like big ol' pork chops sitting on the water.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Cool Wags, wanna hit it next month? I owe you a day, and I'm spending June in Michigan...

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Ramcatt, if you are willing to fight them out for awhile, you can do it, and I bet quite a few people are willing to back me up on this. The drag on you're reel better be good...

Deeter, I'm going to Michigan this year, TU camp, You flying or driving?

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

see you guys there...
Michigan may 26- June 8

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Shoot. Were all gonna be in Michigan in June. I have a bachelor party/fishing excursion/fathers day celebration up near Gates. Deet, you bring the beer. Wags, your in charge of food. Ramcatt, plates, cups and plastic ware. I'll bring my charming personality and humorous behavior. Alex can tell the stories by the camp fire.

Lets talk carp. I took my Tenkara rod out to the pond tonight and caught a bunch of fish. I got wondering about how the Tenkara would stack up to a big grass carp. I snuck up to one near the bank and flipped my fly over to him and on the first cast, boom! I swear I thought that rod was going to snap in two. I had on 8 lb 3X tippet. The tippet wouldn't break because the rod was so flexible. I was running up and down the bank yelling Oh Sh!t while the fish was leaving washtub size swirls in the pond. After a while I got a little cocky and tried to horse the fish onto the bank and that is when I broke my tippet. I'm thinking Tenkara world record.

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

How'd you know I was good for the beer? No matter, I'm in.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I'm In if you are, and no drinking for me, Ill stick to Gatorade.

from Wags wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Kirk...if you are serious drop me an e-mail. I could maybe do that, I still have some open couch invitations in the Wolverine state. Some recent changes in employment, or lack thereof, has changed my summer plans a bit. When in June? Late June is when I would expect the porkchops, er Hexes, to be poppin'. The grey drakes are nothing to sneeze at either.

Buckhunter...is this the kind of party where it's a toss-up on who has it worse: The guy bringing the beer or the guy bringing the food!!

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I gotta agree with Deet on this one: where are all those huge Michigan browns the rest of the year?

But here's another: adult dragonfly "hatches" in Southern Chile. When the big dragonflies get active on lakes in Chile (and in some lakes in Argentina, too) the trout rocket out of the water like Poseidon missles to grab them. There's nothing like the sight of a dozen 2-4 lb trout popping completely out of the water around your boat to you to get your blood pumping. Keeping your cool becomes part of the strategy to catch them.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Wags, "worse" is a relative term. If Deet brings Natty Lights then you've been screwed. If Deet brings a fine import in dark glass bottles with a little top shelf kicker then we are all winners.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Whats wrong with Natty Light?

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I love a good Pteronarcys hatch anywhere - but there is usually a pretty good hatch of golden stones on the Arkansas right along with the caddis...

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Natty Light!? Are you kidding?! That stuff is like bottled piss! I like a beer you can cut with a knife...like Old Rasputin, or Guiness Draft, or even Saint Pauli Girl Special Dark Lager.

And my best hatch has to be the Golden Stonefly on the Deschutes in central Oregon in late May / early June. Absolutely unbelievably amazing.

If timed right, the average day is anywhere from 30 to 50 native redsides--with 60 or 70 easily possible--in the 2 to 4 lb range on those big, orange-yellow drys. The best day I ever heard of anyone having with that hatch was a 94-trout day, none of them being less than 1.5 lbs and 12 inches, and with the biggest 8 or 10 ranging from 5 to 8 lbs and 22 to 28 inches.

Other than that, its hard to beat the small, but aggressive and feisty brookies and cutthroats in high-alpine lakes and streams on an Adams or Mayfly with a 2-weight rod. That is just plain fun--and good eating--no matter what.

My personal record was on the upper reaches of the North Fork of the Santiam, where I stood in one spot on the bank, and caught over 35 smallish, but sporting, trout in less than an hour...I guess it was just that magical time of the evening, and the solar conditions had been just perfect that day to cause a perfect hatch, because they were hitting every cast. By the time it was too dark to see my fly, there wasn't much of a fly left to see. The next day, I looked at my fly and found that it consisted only of a hook, a scrap of dubbing and a single, unravelled feather wrapping...but it had still been catching fish.

It is just awesome when I happen to be on the water at those special times when you just can do no wrong when it comes to presenting a fly.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I'm In if you are, and no drinking for me, Ill stick to Gatorade.

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Joe_Cermele wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Penns Creek green drakes...have to see it to believe it

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

buckhunter,

from karmano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

The Green Drake hatch all up and down the Roaring Fork Valley is rediculous.

from tourneyking734 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Evan V wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I saw a bwo hatch back in march.
But I see damselflies all the time. Does that count?

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from timromano wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

I do love the carp...

10 pounder on a 3 wt!? you're asking for it brother...

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

green drakes on tiny appalachian streams.

yrs-
Evan!

from Wags wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Deeter, I'm going to Michigan this year, TU camp, You flying or driving?

from Ramcatt wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

see you guys there...
Michigan may 26- June 8

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

How'd you know I was good for the beer? No matter, I'm in.

from Wags wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Whats wrong with Natty Light?

from j-johnson17 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago