Amazing Video: Jungle Fishing in Bolivia

FlyTalk

August 31, 2009

Amazing Video: Jungle Fishing in Bolivia

By Kirk Deeter

Exactly one year ago, I was deep in the heart of the jungle in Bolivia, on what proved to be an extraordinary fishing adventure.  The trip led to a feature ("In Search of the River Gods") in the July '09 issue of Field & Stream, as well as this online story that ran last fall.

There's something to be said, however, for actually seeing and hearing the wonders of this pristine environment.  And now you can, thanks to this video by Mike Nelson and Henry Harrison, sent to me by my jungle angler friend Rodrigo Salles.

Appropriately titled "Kings of the River," it captures the raw power of the remarkable freshwater dorado... most definitely the toughest, most beautiful river-swimming species I've ever caught.  It also captures the sounds of the jungle, which I still hear in my mind, one year later...

Enjoy, but be warned there is a little spicy language, including the magic word that earns an automatic "R" rating for movies.

And some of you long-time Fly Talkers will be interested to see our old friend, writer and photographer Joey Lin in the video.

If, after watching this, you can think of another fish more deserving of the "King of the River" crown, I'd like to hear about it.  For my part, I say "long live the mighty dorado."

Deeter

PS- If you want to go here and see it for yourself... see www.tsimanelodge.com

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Fantastic footage and editing. Love the sounds of the jungle as well as the sights.

I've never caught a dorado and probably never will but I can see why it appeals to fisherman. Is it the king of the river? Maybe in Bolivia.

My nod for king of the river will have to go to the smallmouth bass. They are plentiful, hardy feeders, will take a dry, acrobatic and close to home. I would pick the steelhead except they are seasonal fish and don't take dries to well.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

The comment "I can't lift it" said it all!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

King of the river for me is either smallies or steelhead, both fight and jump really well, and carp are a close second.

from jtboles wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Going to South America to catch the golden dorado is one of my dream trips that would be a trip of a lifetime for me.

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

There is nothing more beautiful to the eye than watching something move freely. Tarpon, Dorado, Cutties, Bass, Steelies... They're all Kings of the River in my book.

from ISEguy wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Forget the fishing--listen, instead, to the narrator. Passionate, intelligent, articulate, and with a deep understanding of why we go out there, for whatever. Yes, the video is great, the fishing fabulous, but what's really amazing is what our guide has to say. Listen, please listen, carefully....

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I don't have any objections for the title of King of the River.... seems like this fish more than deserves it

from fflutterffly wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

The comment "I can't lift it" said it all!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago