Fly Fishing Predictions for 2010

FlyTalk

December 17, 2009

Fly Fishing Predictions for 2010

By Kirk Deeter

We've all spent time reflecting on the good fishing season past, but what are your plans and expectations for the year ahead? In the name of light entertainment, here are the official Fly Talk Prognostications for the fly fishing world in 2010:

I predict that two major world record marks for fly-caught fish will fall in 2010--redfish, (the fish will be caught in February, in Louisiana), and bonefish, which will be caught off Oahu this summer.  I predict that I will also hear about at least 40 obscure "line class" records, e.g. "alligator gar, on the fly, on 4-pound test," and that I will not stroke the egos of the people who set those silly records by writing about them.

I predict that there will be no fewer than three trade shows for the fly industry which has failed to demonstrate a willingness or ability to properly support one trade show over the past several years.

I predict... and I am really going out on a limb here... that no fewer than three fly rod companies will introduce rods that they claim are "lighter, stronger, and easier to cast than ever before."

I predict that several U.S. states will move to mandate the use of non-felt soles by wading anglers.  I also predict more states moving to ban the use of lead split shot in sizes smaller than 1/2 ounce.

I predict, sadly, that 15 percent of the specialty fly shops that are in business today will not be in another year. In all seriousness, if you have some last minute shopping to do, take your business to your favorite fly shop... they need it.

I predict the tarpon guides in the Keys will complain about wind, the steelhead guides in Oregon will complain about water levels, the striper guides will complain about October crowds, and the Colorado guides will complain about Texans (behind their backs) at some point in 2010.

I predict that a book destined to transform the way we think about fly fishing-- The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing--will be introduced in May.  (Okay, that's a shameless, self-serving plug.  I predict you'll see more shameless, self-serving plugs next spring.)

I predict the Copper John will be the number-one-selling fly worldwide.

And I predict Joe Cermele will try to come back to Colorado, if only to get me to say again on DVR what a good fly fisherman I think he is.

Here's hoping you make some bold plans and predictions for fly fishing in 2010, and that at least some of the best ones come true.

Deeter

from MLH wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Plan on spending some time in Louisiana and Hawaii in early 2010? We saw several fly shops close around here the last few years. Those closings were painful. Any more closings will be even harder to take.

I predict Cermele talks you into going to the East Coast for some offshore "spin" fishing ... but you still smuggle on a fly rod as back up. And that The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing gets a record number of responses when it is given away on a Write the Caption, Win a Prize contest.

from hengst wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I'll be bold and make three, trouble is I am going off of prior experience lol.

I predict that I will slip and fall at least twice in the Arkansas after swallowing no less than 6 caddis (caddie ?? hhmm). To cheap to go river rafting I guess.

I further predict that I will do my best to keep Anglers Covey and Ark Anglers in business and that my wife won't like it.

I also predict that I will still love flyfishing, improve immensly but still not be as good as I think I am.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

is the copper john currently the best selling fly in the world? I didn't know that, if so. that's probably only true because they're a pain to tie. ;)

yrs-
Evan!

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Nice predictions Kirk.

A few of my own. I predict that I will log one day on the water with a guide who can show me the finer points of finding fish and working dries. I also predict that I can convince and teach at least 3 fly fishers to build their own rods(sorry manufacturers, customs are the real way to go lighter, stronger, and farther.)

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I predict Sarah Palin will book a fly-fishing trip but will decline an offer to appear in the Women in Waders calendar.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I predict that I will work too much and fish too little next year. (as I did this year).

I predict that it will only be the "biggest damn fish" that'll break off.

I predict that at least one rod will go back to the manufacturer in one more peice than it came.

I predict Tiger will win two majors. If you think he was good when he had nothing to prove...

I predict that I will fish with two other posters. I fished with two this year.

I predict that I will continue to fail miserably in the photo caption contest.

Last but not least. Ohio State 44 Michigan 17

from Wags wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Very good....a nice chuckle on a Friday.

I predict I am going love flyfishing in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this summer.

I predict I try to hook up with buckhunter and steelhead fish sometime (same state and all)

I predict Brian Kelly will turn down Notre Dame to stay with my beloved Bearcats! uhhh what's that? how much?..........Oh, okay, Scratch that one. I predict Butch Jones will pick up right where Brian Kelly left off.

I predict insufferable ND fans are only going to become more so.

from Nick Coe wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

"the Colorado guides will complain about Texans"

wish they knew how to set the hook!

Thanks for making me laugh this morning Kirk.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

i predict that i will fish the gunnison for the first time and that my local fly shop will lower it's rates so that i don't have to get a loan for one day of fly fihing lessons. i will even go so far as to predict that my sooners will win at least ten games. ok then...

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I predict that Glock and I will have another great year catching silvers in SE AK. I predict that this year we will catch more on the surface than last year, we got them to come up on four occasions in 08. I predict that I will break at least 2 flyrods on those vicious beasts and will love every second of it!! I predict that some other fly besides pink clousers will be the killer fly this year.

from Joshua Rust wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah, I agree with the fly shop prediction...but am leaning towards more like 25%. Here in Cincinnati we've lost our last one...there's nothing more now than the limited offerings at the local BPS

from troutbum_colo wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

You have abandoned your roots - the east coast. You give those west coast steelheaders a chance to gripe. But then again, you are probably wise in knowing the the weather forecast and conditions do not keep the east coast chrome chasers from wetting a line. Us east coast guys are a tougher bunch.

from Wags wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Hey getholdofjoru........who went under? D&H or A&N?

from MLH wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I'll be bold and make three, trouble is I am going off of prior experience lol.

from ejunk wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

yrs-
Evan!

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Nice predictions Kirk.

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I predict that it will only be the "biggest damn fish" that'll break off.

I predict that I will fish with two other posters. I fished with two this year.

I predict that I will continue to fail miserably in the photo caption contest.

Last but not least. Ohio State 44 Michigan 17

from Wags wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Very good....a nice chuckle on a Friday.

I predict insufferable ND fans are only going to become more so.

from Nick Coe wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

"the Colorado guides will complain about Texans"

wish they knew how to set the hook!

Thanks for making me laugh this morning Kirk.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from labrador12 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Joshua Rust wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from troutbum_colo wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Hey getholdofjoru........who went under? D&H or A&N?