Petzal: A Gold Medal Stag

The Gun Nuts

April 30, 2009

Petzal: A Gold Medal Stag

By David E. Petzal

A number of you have speculated that since I was in New Zealand I must have shot something. Well, you’re right. This is a red stag who had a collision with a 225-grain .338 Barnes MRX bullet at 230 yards. He was between 8 and 9 years old, and weighed in the neighborhood of 475 pounds. Although it was near the end of the rut, he had been eating instead of fighting and fornicating which accounted for his high weight.

He’s a 10x11 and scores 352 SCI points, which puts him in the Gold Medal category. This notwithstanding, he is only in the middle bracket of  shootable stags. I saw a couple of animals (at twilight, naturally) that would have gone way into the 400s, and they looked like something out of the Ice Age.

I’ve been saying for years that Africa is the best hunting available; but I may be wrong. Factoring everything in, it may be New Zealand. The full story will appear in the April, 2010 Field & Stream

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Wholly smokes! I think Dave is smiling. :) Nice stag Dave. I don't understand all that grain bullet gun stuff but I know a good kill when I see one. Congrats.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Good Lord! Wow, what a stag!

congratulations, Mr. Petzal. Well done. I can hardly wait forthe story.

WMH

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

See, it even caused me to fat finger my keyboard (typos)!

WMH

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I hate to quote fictional movie characters, but what the heck, "Impressive, Most Impressive!" If he is only a medium sized specimen then the 400 plus guys must cause an intense upwelling of moisture in one's eyes!

Too bad you didn't have Ms. Cuthbert along for the photo op...

from pmariman wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

David, Good Job! Very nice stag, I am looking forward to the story. Thank you, for sharing the photo.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

beautiful specimin. however i find it unnecessarily cruel to bait us with a little information about it and then tell us to wait a year to hear the full story. this is such a ballbreaking thing to do it falls into the relm of things i would have done and quite frankly i expected better from mr. petzal.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Congrats, David! Too bad we need to wait a year for the rest of the story.

Odd you mention Pleistocene-type creatures and settings. I thought the closest I ever was in the Pleistocene was hunting caribou on the Alaskan Peninsula. I doubt that area has changed much in 10,000 years.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Shades of the legendary Irish Elk those are really handsome beasts. Making us wait a year for the story is a stick in the mud. Heck it seems like the tent gear test is taking a coon's age to get here.
BTW I guess this makes me almost a prophet. My prediction was that you would shoot something like that.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Very, very nice, DEP. Why is it taking a year for you to write the story? I just told
The Bookkeeper to never, ever, never tell me I am slow about anything ever again.
PS- If the stag story is as good as the wounded buff story it will be worth the wait.
crm

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Oh, and Dave someone that knew their way around a camera took this pic. No bloody tongue or bullet wounds, no pick-up beds, the shot is well composed.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Nice stag dave, but for NZ? Pretty run of the mill mate.
Have a look at this post from Bashing Bambi Blog

Happens every weekend down under
SBW

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Other than SCI numbers I wouldn't know a good stag from an exceptional one. Nevertheless I certainly admire the apearance of this animal and would not personally consider letting him walk away. Of course I approve of your weapon selection and load of choice as they are among my favorites. I wonder if the silenced .338 would have performed so admirably? Good job Dave. By the way is that Ms Cuthbert's footprints in the grass leading to the bush immediately behind you?

from PbHead wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Good job Dave. At first I thought this was about the Stag beer that used to be brewed in Belleville IL. However, I would like to know what it cost to ship a trophy like that back to the States? That one would be worth the price.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Nice Stag, man..I'd like to shoot me one of them some day. Hey,did you grill the back straps as a celebatory feast?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Congradulations dave, so really, how much did you and F&S blow on this hunt? 20,000? 30,000? More?

from Big O wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Nice stag Mr. Petzal. The true question is DID you use that "supressed"(note, I did'nt use the word silenced there is no such thing) to harvest him. inquiring minds(your LOYAL readers want to know!(lol).Congrats again.

from cliff68 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal:
I would be interested how the MRX performed and if you were able to recover it.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Man....I would just absolutly love to blow 10 G's on a hunt like that....

Can I go too next time?

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Why do so many of you seem to think it costs $10k and up to hunt in NZ?
My brother regularly turns down invitations from his mates to hunt stags on the south island. He's more interested in climbing the southern alps. His wife hunts the giant pigs!

12 hours from LA - walk into a pub and ask nicely ;-)

SBW

from semp wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Fellas ... sorry to break in ... But I just did my brief ... once in a while reloading component check. My usual sources(in preference order) are PowderValleyInc, MidwayUsa and Cabelas. Well, staring at the bottom, there are no PRIMERS, PowderValley has a published backorder of 50MILLION primers, has delisted all but a few 209s and is accepting no more orders. Cabelas has none but has upped the price about 300% anyhow. The Obama has ended reloading without inking paper. Git da dog inda bunker Ma 'there' a white boat comin up da river' .

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Dave looks like you have stirred up the jealousy pot with a few of the bloggers. Didn't see anything on the bashing Bambi site that could hold a candle to your stag. Looked a bit like opening day around here. I suspect those stags in the 'Rover are probably the equivalent of our local fork horns and basket racks.

from Ferber wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

DEP: Since New Zealand provides, arguably, the best trout fishing in the world, and you used a 225-weight item for a sport--did you also find time to use a 7- or 8-weight?

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Bet you a cup of coffee and a donut that the MRX exited unless it was an end - to - end hit.

WMH

from Scott Jones wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great Stag!

Which .338?

Is it true rifling twists in the opposite direction south of the equator?

from jay wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Very well done Dave.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Congrats, Dave! I can almost smell those backstraps cooking in the skillet. I hope you dressed him out with Norm Strung's old Kabar knife.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

TO Jersey Pig: Always expect low behavior from me and you will never be disappointed. Also, you might want to change your e-name, all things considered.

To all: The hunt was not a freebie, but it was a hell of a lot less than $10,000. In the current economic climate, the only way I could get F&S to spring for a $10,000 hunt is if I gave them $9,000 first.

I shot the beast with my Ed Brown .338 Win Mag. Took him through the neck. David Blayney, my guide, said he had never seen an animal hit like that in his life. "It was like you jerked the earth out from underneath him." He went down in his tracks and never moved. The MRX went clean through and left an exit hole about the size of a silver dollar.

When David asked me why a .338, I told him because it ends all discussions, settles all issues. Also, this particular rifle never complains about long, boring rides in cargo holds, and is always polite to customs and police officers.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Wow!
That is simply divine!

From the looks of his thick rack, he could have had any of the ladies he desired.

I especially liked the different coloration of the tips!

I'm beginning to think that a stag hunt may be running neck and neck with my dream hunt!

By the way,what kind of camo are you wearing?

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I see they finally let you out of the office Dave for some R&R!

Congratulations Sir, good job!!

When are you going to post the video?

I can hear Jim Zumbo now!! LOL!!!!

from buck hunter 17 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

WOW nice congrats. you got a NICE stag there.

from spuddog wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

DEP, congrats on the stag. I know that they are cousins of the American Elk. How is the meat? Does it compare with Elk? I consider Elk at the very top of the wild game category.

Spud

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
Thank you for your explanation of low behaviour to those who may not be familiar to this blog. Also, what action is your Ed Brown based on and how can I teach my Winchester to be always polite to customs and police officers? It seems that is something that all rifles should aspire to, and even more so if they end all discussions, and settle all issues. My own beloved (to me, anyway) .338 seems to have an affinity for 180, 200, and 215 grain loads, but will on occasion, deign to shoot a 225 gr. if the weather is right and the moon is full.
crm

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

"Any of you is welcome to go with me next time, as long as you look like Ms. Elisha Cuthbert."

Hey, Old Man. Life is short, why don't you just ask her out? ;)

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey, DP!

Is it my imagination or have you lost weight? Your face seems much thinner than in previous video's.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

To Mike Diehl: I'm about 30 years too old for Elisha. Women her age called me "Sir." When you hear that, you know you are null and void.

To Spud Dog: Never set a tooth to a red stag. Their meat is sold for export. I did, however, get to masticate sika deer, which is sensational.

To Mark-1: Nope, haven't lost a goddamn ounce. At least I haven't gained.

To CRM: Regular beatings are the ticket. Puts the fear of God in them.

from jjas wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Congrats on a fine stag there Mr. Petzal. I'd love to make that trip myself someday.

BTW, doesn't Mossberg offer the .338 in the 4x4 bolt action rifle?

Jim

from jbird wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great stag Dave!! Looking forward to the full story.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

What a tease... looks like we'll have to wait for the rrrrrest of the story about the hunt. Buy the magazine folks and my apologies to Paul Harvey. Was it fair chase or pay per point as others have suggested?

So why so serious Dave? You are holding a world class red stag and are still not excited. Jaded from 40 years of world class animals or just hard to please? I'm expecting a retraction about the glorious 30-06 in the next issue now that your .338 has proven its obvious superiority.

And on a personal note in the future if you are going to talk about the unofficial "Gun Nut" poster child I would appreciate a picture of her instead of you. We can argue later about the merits and values of the racks in question. And on a related issue no more talking about regularly beating guns errr... weapons into submission when Ms. Cuthbert is involved in the discussion.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey Dave, WHAT"S NEXT!

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Dave P,
Congrats on a fine trophy. Did you deliberately shoot for the neck? I find that risky, but good for you if you can do it at that distance.

About that well deserved smirk on your face, you should run a contest with a cartoon balloon over your head that bloggers can fill in the blank of what you're thinking. No reward for the winner, just a pat on the back for the funniest one.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great Animal Dave. Would love to go wih you to NZ next trip. I'd love to try my 700 CDL 06 on such a anmial. As for neck shots, I take them every chance I get. Prefer the animal looking at me. My fist Elk was a neck shot at l65 yds using l65 gr. Rem, Ext. range. dropped in his tracks. Does not take a Cannon to bring down a 500 lb animal if you place he shot corect. Again Congts Dave. I envy your hunt.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Looks like it would deffinitely pay to go hunt in New Zealand. With game like that, it looks like a lot of fun. Although you say that New Zealand might be a spot for great hunting... and although it might compete with Africa... Africa still wins. Africa has a lot of diverse game and also the chance of shooting some of the most dangerous and largest species on earth.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

To 2 Poppa: I am wearing Cabelas Outfitter Camo, one of the very few camo patterns that is worth more than an assful of ashes. It blends in just about anywhere, and works in a wide variety of temperatures.

My facial expression is as close to a smile as I can get.

The reason the stag has a near-black stomach is because the entire length of the rut, they pee on themselves. I watched one do this; he stood there for perhaps 5 minutes with a stupid smile on his face micturating on his stomach for all he was worth. I was tempted to try it myself, figuring I could blame it on some kind of geezer infirmity, but if I had come back through US Customs with funky camo and the drug-sniffing dogs got wind of it, I would have been in big trouble.

from michaelD wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

THIS POST IS PRIMARILY TO DAVE AND OPEN TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR RESPONSE. MANY YEARS AGO DAVE GAVE ME INFO(OVER THE PHONE) ON THE WEAVER GRAND SLAM, AND IT TURNED OUT TO BE A VERY FINE, RELIABLE SCOPE ON MY BRNING BAR MARK ll SAFARI.308. NOW I ASK: WHAT'S THE SCOOP ON THE SWIFT 30MM,2.5X10X50MM RIFLE SCOPE??(PREMIER MODEL-SRP3908M)I INTEND TO PUT IT ON MY BROWNING BAR 300WSM. CAN IT HANDLE THE G'S FROM THE RECOIL??? HOW REALLY GOOD ARE THE OPTICS?? THE LENSES ARE MADE BY SCHOTT(GERMAN CO.IN PA)ON WHAT LEVEL IS THIS SCOPE??(COMPARISON) I WAS SOLD THIS SCOPE UNDER UNDER THE PRETENSE THAT IT IS BETTER THAN THE BURRIS. AND THE GUN SHOP OVER PRICED IT MANY X OVER MSRP.I DIDN'T DO MY HOMEWORK AHEAD, SHAME ON ME, BUT I'M STILL LEARNING . WHAT IS MOST RELIABLE AND SUPERIOR OPTICS// (W/O GETTING A SWAROVSKI)AND I'M NOT SURE THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH LEUPOLD VARX ll or lll. DAVE , PLEASE ADVISE AND ANY ONE ELSE TOO!! I CAN JUST PUT THE SWIFT ON MY REM 700,.270CAL (IF Y'ALL THINK IT CAN HANDLE IT)AND GET THE BEST FOR MY 300WSM~~~MICHAEL

from michaelD wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

TO 3KIDSDAD: PERONALLY MY OPINOIN AS TO CHANGING OF THE SPIN WOULD ONLY TAKE PLACE IN THE BATH TUB DRAIN. IF YOU WANT TO VERIFY IT GET AHOLD OF AN AUSTRALIAN ARMS CO. AND CHECK THEIR SPEC OR EMAIL THEM ON CLOCK OR COUNTER CLOCKWISE TURNS(TWIST).

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

michaelD,
I have never tried the Swift brand.
Up till now I've only used Burris, but recently they have switched manufacturing some of their scopes to the Philippines. From the Fullfield down. I believe the only American made scope is the Signature. Before I pay the price for them I'll buy a Leupold III or Zeiss Conquest.

from Big O wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Thank you for responding to us "lowly" readers (lol).
You are one of those guys that I always look forward to reading.
As for you and Ms. Cuthbert, what about a "Outdoor Sugar-Daddy"? Like my dad would have told you, "Worse she could do is slap you or tell ya' no". Congrats again on the stag. He's a fine one.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

Did you come back from New Zealand with some primers for all of us?

All . . .

Mr. Petzal mentions that his stag got a stupid smile on its face when peeing on itself. Oddly enough, I get a stupid smile on my face when I pee damn near anywhere except on myself. How about the rest of you?

TWD

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

Given the vengeful "smile" on your face in your photo with the stag, as well as the nature of your previous comment, the following question blossoms (beautifully) into being:

Did you shoot that red stag because it peed on you?

TWD

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Dave

You are spot on about the Cabela's Outfitter Camo pattern. I have some of the Microtex fabric pants and shirts and recently ordered 2 more sets before they decide to stop making it. The only gripe I have is that the front pockets are way too shallow. I have thought about sewing them up so I am not tempted to put anything in them! While that Microtex is not real heavy, it is warm. It also dries in a jiffy.

Again, great stag!

WMH

from KJ wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Ok, so you shot a gay stag.

from maxwell wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

3 words, what a monster!

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Cabela's outfitter camo? I thought it was the same pattern as the army jacket I wore to Jr. High in '72...

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Great stag Dave congratulations.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Good for you Dave.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Davenever mentioned teh exact cost, bt sue was costly. However, it is not cheap to go to the Rockies for a 7 day hunt. Other than Air Fare to NZ I doubt the cost is greater. May seek info into a trip such a Dave's , as the game situation for Elk in the rockies is about l8-20% odds for a Elk, and not a lot better for a Mulie. With the Airline cost now plus the luggage fees, flying has put the WHO's on lots of hunters travels. But at 73, I sure would like a NZ Stag before I leave this great place. Great trophy Dave. I envy you.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Keith Shively wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Congratulations Mr. Petzal! That is quite a trophy!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Dave: Being disabled/handicapped I would like for you to do a few articles for such guys as I.Otherwise I have no complaints. Also, point me in the right direction( who-ever I need to contact at F&S) to do my Autobiography that may be material for F&S. Many thanks for a great opportunity to learn and voice our opinions. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from renegades wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

is this a elk?

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Dave: watched the postman this AM, he never broght my plane tickets for NZ, is there a problem??? If so please advise. I'm all packed, did lots of pratice, bought new ammo, new rain gear , will take old faithful 700 o6 as she's never failed me yet. Please infor me of anything else I need to pack. Thanks again.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Nice bull

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey, Old Man. Life is short, why don't you just ask her out? ;)

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Good Lord! Wow, what a stag!

congratulations, Mr. Petzal. Well done. I can hardly wait forthe story.

WMH

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Too bad you didn't have Ms. Cuthbert along for the photo op...

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Ferber wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

My facial expression is as close to a smile as I can get.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

See, it even caused me to fat finger my keyboard (typos)!

WMH

from pmariman wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Congrats, David! Too bad we need to wait a year for the rest of the story.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

crm

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Nice stag dave, but for NZ? Pretty run of the mill mate.
Have a look at this post from Bashing Bambi Blog

Happens every weekend down under
SBW

from PbHead wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from cliff68 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal:
I would be interested how the MRX performed and if you were able to recover it.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Why do so many of you seem to think it costs $10k and up to hunt in NZ?

12 hours from LA - walk into a pub and ask nicely ;-)

SBW

from semp wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Scott Jones wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great Stag!

Which .338?

Is it true rifling twists in the opposite direction south of the equator?

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Dave P,

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Thank you for responding to us "lowly" readers (lol).
You are one of those guys that I always look forward to reading.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

Did you come back from New Zealand with some primers for all of us?

All . . .

TWD

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

Did you shoot that red stag because it peed on you?

TWD

from renegades wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

is this a elk?

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Man....I would just absolutly love to blow 10 G's on a hunt like that....

Can I go too next time?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

WMH

from jay wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Very well done Dave.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Wow!
That is simply divine!

I especially liked the different coloration of the tips!

By the way,what kind of camo are you wearing?

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

I see they finally let you out of the office Dave for some R&R!

Congratulations Sir, good job!!

When are you going to post the video?

I can hear Jim Zumbo now!! LOL!!!!

from buck hunter 17 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

WOW nice congrats. you got a NICE stag there.

from spuddog wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Spud

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

davidpetzal-
crm

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey, DP!

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

To Mark-1: Nope, haven't lost a goddamn ounce. At least I haven't gained.

To CRM: Regular beatings are the ticket. Puts the fear of God in them.

from jjas wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

BTW, doesn't Mossberg offer the .338 in the 4x4 bolt action rifle?

Jim

from jbird wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Great stag Dave!! Looking forward to the full story.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

from michaelD wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from michaelD wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

michaelD,
I have never tried the Swift brand.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Dave

Again, great stag!

WMH

from maxwell wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

3 words, what a monster!

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Great stag Dave congratulations.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Good for you Dave.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Keith Shively wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Congratulations Mr. Petzal! That is quite a trophy!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Nice bull

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 51 weeks ago

Hey Dave, WHAT"S NEXT!

from KJ wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Ok, so you shot a gay stag.