New Jersey Governor Okays Sunday Bowhunting

Field Notes

May 05, 2009

New Jersey Governor Okays Sunday Bowhunting

By Dave Hurteau

Having so brazenly shot down the Garden State’s bear season, Gov. Jon Corzine has a long way to go to endear himself to sportsmen. But this won’t hurt—even if he didn’t have much choice politically—from the Star Ledger:

Gov. Jon Corzine signed a bill yesterday to let archers take aim at the Garden State's deer population on the Sunday, which has historically been off-limits to hunters pursuing whitetail. Although sponsored largely by legislators from districts with large deer herds, the law receivedoverwhelming support in both the Assembly and the Senate.

The usual anti-hunting groups are outraged.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Good for New Jersey. Considering most people work Monday through Friday and could only hunt on Saturday this will double the days in the field for a lot of sportsman.

from MB915 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

This seems to becoming the latest trend to allow sunday bowhunting in states that have never allowed sunday hunting at all. I can only hope Virginia follows this same trend next year and adopts this law as well. Good for NJ.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

New Jersey-ians should be outraged that they can't hunt with guns on Sunday!

I don't understand why so many people find laws like this acceptable?!

Why hasn't a case about Sunday hunting (or Alcohol buying for that matter) ever gone to the Supreme Court? It is such a blatantly clear case of religious discrimination it is laughable.

Come on NRA! Why don't you use your lawyers to sue for something that matters to us gun-owning sportsmen!!

End religious discrimination being forced on sportsmen!

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

this is a good move for us in jersey. i dont know what the status is on the crossbow legislation is at this time but i'm hoping that passes as well. i know numerous hunters who would happily resume hunting or postpone retiring from hunting if it did as using a regular bow is getting to be a bit much (guys with bad arms, shoulders etc.) and to ken we can buy beer and liquor on sundays but the way they get around the firearms season is limiting it to a 6 day only shotgun season mon-sat. this way they have to extend the season which they wont do. i'm not saying i agree with it but thats it.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

jersey pig-

wait a minute, your entire gun season, from opening day to closing day is only six days long?

If so, how the heck is this justified if your deer herds are as out of control as the rest of the east coast?

from 60256 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I think that this is a good move. There are a lot of states that allow any kind of sunday hunting. This is just step one.

Nate

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Good to hear... it should be up to the individual's beliefs and religion if they want to hunt on Sunday or not. Not to mention that the weekend is the only time for some people to hunt given they work on the weekday. Oh, and to me and for my religion, I don't think there is a better way to rest on Sunday than hunting in a treestand.

from jbird wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I'm glad to see it. I don't get how we can't even mention God in schools, but yet hunters can't hunt on Sundays??? Idiotic double standard.

from scottprice wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

awesome, that is awesome, especially in a state like NJ where deer numbers are huge. I think its also going to help hunter participation.

from Derek St.Romain wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

jbird- I ben saying the same thing! take God out of everything, except for what you don't want to, so your agenda is protected. Man, my Pastor hunts! on the Church property! Here in Nc i couldn't believe the no Sunday hunting, you can fish and drink beer all day in your boat, but God help us if you leave your family and go hunting! My family goes with me! Wife and kids and cousins and nephews...such a crock of crap! more liberal bs, but from the right too! HYPOCRITES!
That is why I am now an independent, they can all kiss my ....
Good for NJ, it is at least a start, look what happened to NC last year with their vote, backers of the bill backed out the day of the vote and it lost by 1 vote. The backers, so I understood it anyway, was the NC DWF! But don't believe me, research it yourself.
We live in a great Country, but some of these laws are ridiculous.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Ken,
Aside from the 6 day shotgun season, which is covered on your annual hunting liscense ($30 for residents), there is a "permit shotgun" season of 3 or 4 days for an additional fee of $27.50 i think. Then there's muzzeloader(27.50), permit muzzeloader(27.50 again), and so on a few more times. Same with bow($27.50), permit bow(27.50), winter bow, etc... You get the picture? They keep nickel and diming us(or in this case $27.50) until we run out of money or lose interest. We can actually hunt deer from Oct.1 - Jan.31, if we choose to pay for all the liscensces, permits, special permits etc. It's a joke and quite expensive. I'd be suprised if we don't now need a Sunday hunting permit. You guessed it, $27.50.

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Steve-

Wow, that sucks, I feel sorry for you. I'm no economist, but I'd bet that if they'd lower those prices, they'd get more hunters. This could lead to increased revenue and would definitely lead to a more healthy deer population.

..but that is operating on the assumption that those prices aren't some kind of back door attempt to discourage hunting.

Saintdeer-
You hit the nail on the head!

The government forcing Christianity on the public is usually considered a "conservative" stance. This is because it is often supported by Republicans and most people define conservative as "what the Republicans say"

In reality, banning Sunday hunting is an EXTREMELY LIBERAL stance. Conservatives believe in limited government and personal freedom, Liberals believe in big government heavily involved in people's personal choices.

...Guess what category using government power to enforce religious beliefs falls under?

I am dead serious, Why isn't the NRA, or some other sportsman's association taking this BS to the supreme court?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from MB915 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

New Jersey-ians should be outraged that they can't hunt with guns on Sunday!

I don't understand why so many people find laws like this acceptable?!

End religious discrimination being forced on sportsmen!

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

jersey pig-

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Steve-

Saintdeer-
You hit the nail on the head!

from 60256 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

Nate

from jbird wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from scottprice wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

from Derek St.Romain wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

That is why I am now an independent, they can all kiss my ....
We live in a great Country, but some of these laws are ridiculous.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago