Lights, Camera, Action?

Whitetail 365

June 08, 2009

Lights, Camera, Action?

By Scott Bestul

Last summer I got sucked into a vortex. I’d messed with trail cameras in the past, but  never really dove into them whole-hog. Some of my buddies had, and they convinced me to get a little more serious about the practice.

So, rather innocently (I thought), I slapped a camera next to a mineral lick near one of my food plots. The plot—a tiny patch of clover within 100 yards of my house—was an afterthought project; the result of a bag of seed I didn’t know what to do with. So I grubbed out an L-shaped plot, ran a drag over it with an ATV, and applied the seed. Clover sprouted in there with abandon, and now I nurse the thing like a child.

The plot proved to be my descent into trail-cam madness as well. I hung my camera there in mid-June and left it for a week. When I checked it I found a silhouette photo of the buck above. He’s no world-beater, but he was better than I expected for my backyard. So that’s what tripped my trigger. If he’s out there, who else is in the neighborhood that I don’t know about? Before I knew it, I was hanging cameras in all kinds of places, waiting anxiously to check them, viewing memory cards like they held the secret to life. I’d somehow stepped over a line I’d never crossed before…

It’s early June, a full week before I started my camera-route last year. So I’m wondering if I should stick out that first set of the year, or stay my impulse, waiting for better antler growth and more activity among the doe/fawn groups that will certainly constitute most of my photos. How ‘bout you? Got cameras out already? Snapping some good pics yet? Or are you biding some time?

from Big C wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I purchased my first trail cam a few weeks ago and put it out this past weekend. I am just trying to get use to how the camera works and to see what the pics look like. I would love to get a pic of a monster buck, but I am realistic

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I'm getting ready to set some of mine out too. I'm trying to locate an area where I can get a shot from my trail-cam from above, looking down at the monster,at a lick.

I think that would be an interesting angle,one I haven't seen before.

I wonder what had that big 'ol boys curiosity aroused. He was lookin'at something of interest!

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I've been using trail cameras for years but still think of them as a novelty. It's great fun to get deer pics as well as pics of coyotes, turkeys, coon and such but the meat and potatos of my scouting will still be binos and spotting scopes at long range.

from 4CORN wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

bought my first 2 cameras 2 months ago, put them out right away. checked after 1 month. got alot of deer pics at 1 location and a bunch of turkeys at another. my lease is 3 hrs away, which i guess is a good thing cuz i'd be checking them all the time. very addicting.

from rdonaldd wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Help a rookie!
Does the flash from a camera have a negative impact on re-visiting a site?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I'm always amazed at what hides in back yards and small wood lots. We pass up some great opportunities just under our nose. Take a look at the photo of my neighbor's daughter and her first buck on my profile. She took the deer 200 yards from my back deck. Not a world beater, but a nice mature buck that I'd never seen before!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

rdonald-
It has never had a negative impact on the deer I've seen. They keep coming back and some of them have been very large deer.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Antlers should be about as large as they are going to get by early August. I have gotten some nice pics from early August forward. Velvet comes off around the first week of Sept. I have seen a few small bucks still in velvet in mid September during Kansas' ML season.
Place a block of cattle mineral in a shady thicket in an out of the way place. Aim the camera about a foot above the lick and about 15 ft or so away. You don't want the rising or setting sun to hit your lens. Avoid trails, roads and footpaths or your camera will likely be stolen.
Do not hunt over the lick. Deer pretty much quit using mineral by early Sep anyway.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I had one stolen last year, bummer. Now I only have one to hang. Have gotten many great pics, mostly at night though.

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Great Pic! We have about 8 cameras out on our 1100 acres at present and have gotten some interesting pics thus far. The most interesting is a series taken over 30 minutes of two young racoons playing with what appears to be a frisbee. We have searched the area and they evidently took it with them!
Our true camera survey will take place in the last 2 weeks of August as the bucks are preparing to shed velvet. We use 1 camera per 100 acres and place the camera based on habitat type.I.E. if 20% of the habitat is forest then 20% of the cameras should be in forested areas. Not only does this allow for an accurate census, we are able to get a reasonable sex ratio once we weed out the corn hogs and other duplicate photos. This works well for scouting as well as my father was able to capitalize on the pictures and arrowed a nice 157 inch 10 pt the first week of bow season last year.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I do believe I and my Bro in law will get cams this year.

It should he;p a couple of older banged up soldiers.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

thinking my self too put some camras out to see the new up incomers to the heard, & to see how big the older buck are getting. no matter what I just love the excite ment of whats going to be on the pics, fawns, does, bucks, turkeys, squirles, bird, ect. I can't wait!!!!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Biding some time... I would be hanging them now, just really have not found the time to go and get out to my property.

from Big C wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I think that would be an interesting angle,one I haven't seen before.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from 4CORN wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from rdonaldd wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Help a rookie!
Does the flash from a camera have a negative impact on re-visiting a site?

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

rdonald-

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

I do believe I and my Bro in law will get cams this year.

It should he;p a couple of older banged up soldiers.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago