Beef or Venison: Which Tastes Better?

Whitetail 365

July 07, 2009

Beef or Venison: Which Tastes Better?

By Scott Bestul

I enjoy a good beef steak as much as the next guy, but eating one is a rarity for me. My freezer is stocked with venison most of the time, and my wife and I have literally raised our kids on deer meat. In fact, Shari is something of a venison snob, turning up her nose at the bland flavor and fat-laden nature of beef. It is a nice situation for a deer hunter to face, though I do feel the pressure to kill a deer at the first opportunity to, in the words of the old “Beverly Hillbillies” theme song “keep my family fed.”

Obviously, not everyone feels so fondly about the unique flavor of venison. And despite the obvious health benefits of eating wild game, debates have long raged about which tastes better...venison, or beef? Well, thanks to a recent report released by the US Venison Council, this question has finally been answered. Read below, and enjoy!

*VENISON VERSUS BEEF THE TASTE CONTROVERSY ENDS FROM THE UNITED STATES VENISON COUNCIL

*Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say that venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist that venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs, and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun for 10 days.

After that it was lugged into a garage, where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every one of the members of the panel thought it was venison. One of the volunteers even said it tasted exactly like the venison he had eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years. The results of this scientific test show conclusively that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Grasshopper sees forked tongue of Mr.Sarcasm.
All of the sterotypical connections one can make, of deer killing type connoisseurs and aficionado's of the bon vivant may take a dis-like to the above forementioned preference of communication ... via the verb.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Good one! My mother in law lives with us. She was brought up in rural Vermont, during the depression, on blood shot skanky deer meat that was donated by local hunters. Today she WILL NOT eat venison.
I take great pains in handling our venison. I try to kill the animal as cleanly as possible, don't hang it for more than two days, bone it out myself and get it frozen or canned asap.
I love to sneak it into spaghetti sauce or a "lamb" stew, or meat loaf.
Mother in law don't even know shes eating it!

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I've never treated ay wild game that badly.....

from hunter4ever wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

if your going to do this as a test use a better animal than a holstein they are dairy cows and are tough.
now don't get me wrong i love deer but good beef not from a holstein is better.

from Brian W. Thair wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Interesting. Polarized views on taste. I have eaten bison rather than beef for nearly the past decade. Can't eat beef anymore: tastes kakked up with chemicals. I wouldn't eat that white-faced range maggot, either.

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Nice comparison!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

taste of the wild got a wild journey flavour to it... could probably make beef taste better if u chased it through a big forest then killed it by running it off a cliff with semi-wild dogs chasing it:P
seriously wild meat tastes much better, and if it doesnt then blame the cook not the hunter:P

from Gritz wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

This sounds a lot like how my father and his brothers did it 20 years ago. I used to love the cutting party the weekend after season because of all the "love" that went into packing cuts of venison. However, I would still take it over having beef that was taken from god knows where, that ate god knows what, and were slaughtered by people making a few bucks a day and slaughtering thousands of animals a week. The last deer I put in the frig was handled with loving care from beginning to end and was done promptly after aging for about 2 days after kill. I trimmed every ounce that I put away and inspected every inch. I would serve it to the president if I had the chance. And that little bit of care made every morsel of meat taste like prime cut game. I used to hunt every minute of the season and if I had a deer hanging on opening morning that is where it stayed until I had time. Now I am much more particular about my deer after the shot instead of before. I have never been sick from venison. I have been sick a few times in my life from prime beef served for 18 dollars a serving. I'll take my chances with meat from my own hands, thanks.

from jbird wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I'm surprised that "dumb hunter" stereotypical story didn't come from Disney.

How you process your meat makes a 100% difference in taste. For years I could only eat summer sausage, and jerky from processing plant's deer, w/ the occasional deer burger chili. For over 10 years I've done my own meat, and my family and I now eat tons of deer. Butchered 5 last fall, we're now down to a few packs of burger.

Loin steaks are heavenly, as is a fat old Ribeye. What makes the loin better for me is knowing where it came from, and knowing once it's gone, you can't go to the store and buy some more, you gotta' wait til' next season.

from TonyK wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Both taste good in their own right. I just tend to prefer venison over beef because it is more fun and cheaper for me to acquire. But then again, I do love a nice beef steak that came straight from the grill.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

First off holstiens are milk cows and not the cattle of choice for steaks. Angus and limosines are steak cattle. I love my venison as much as anyone but I also love a tenderloin, ribeye, t-bone, and porterhouse when cooked correctly over charcoal. I can cook them both so they melt in your mouth. Beef steak has marbled fat that cooks along with the meat and keeps the meat moist and it is tasty along with the meat when trimmed and cooked correctly. Venison is a very dry meat with no marbling, its fat is called tallow and is not tasty. It stains the flavor of venison and should be trimmed off even if you must loose a 1/8 in of meat to do it. Venison should be cooked hot and fast or low and slow in order to keep as much moistness as you can. Venison tends to take better to marinades than beef does because the fat in beef tends to flush out the flavor when cooked where venison is more like a sponge. Which is better?? I feel a properly trimmed and cooked venison backstrap is superior to beef steak. My favorite way to prepare venison is to pound flour into a backstrap(both sides and both directions) with the edge of a saucer, this will make the backstrap double in diameter. Melt REAL!butter in a pan and sprinkle diced onions into the butter and place the backstrap on them. Now sprinkle diced garlic on the top of the backstrap. Cook on medium high for 4 minutes then flip and cook other side for 4 minutes making sure there is enough melted butter to coat the flour completly. Enjoy!

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I'm torn on this...I'm a lifetime hunter but also the son of a cattle rancher so I grew up on a healthy dose of both.

Gritz; Love that you're proud enough to be willing to serve your venison to the President. I've seen some people out there care for theirs so poorly I wouldn't mind giving some of it to the current President

from ejunk wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

hilarious! thanks for sharing.

I prefer venison.

yrs-
Evan!

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

elk all the way. Actually, we had a steak a week or two ago and it tasted utterly bland after a couple years of almost nothing but elk. It wasn't the greatest cut but a good cut below the elk.

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Nice catch, Walt, and way to mention Limousin cattle. They are even tastier than Angus, they just don't have the name association Angus does. I think the Holstein thing might have been part of the joke though.

All kidding aside, I think you will find that the people that don't like venison or think that beef is better are people that were served by people that don't know what the hell they're doing. Venison done right beats beef bar-none.

If you go to some fancy Manhattan restaurant, you will pay very high dollar for venison, more than you'll pay for just about any steak. Of course, most of the folks that order it are very against hunting or killing any animals...

from seadog wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I'm glad I saw this. I've been processing my meat all wrong. From now on, I'll try to follow these instructions on the correct way to process meat.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

In my defense I didn't realize that was a steer, nor do I recall getting paid for the service.
It's a darned funny article, but it highlights one of the reasons I prefer to process my own deer. I never quite feel confident that I get my own meat back and you have no idea what the other guy did with his prize on the way to the processer.

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Venison and beef taste, smell, and look different. beef is not as healthy for you as venison. You just cant beat the taste of deer meat. i feel i cant eat beef because it just isnt as good, but i will eat it anyway. this artical makes me want some venison backstraps freshly cut out of a whitetail.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

When I was a kid I couldn't get enough venison. Over the years my taste has changed. My favorite wild game is Quail, Pheasant, Turkey in that order. I did have some speed goat that was mighty good. Enjoyed Caribou and Moose in AK but thats not an option anymore. Just kind of burned out on venison. So now days I give away the 5 or 6 deer bagged each fall. Still love to hunt them. That will never change.

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Scott- I loved the story, probably close to the truth in some instances.
I handle my deer with care from the field dress to the skinning and through the cutting and freezing. My family truly enjoys venison and we will reach for it before the beef. My wife and I were raised on venison and my son was raised on venison as well. I can't think of a better meal.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I can't stand beef. Ever since I started butchering my own deer the meat taste much better. Hanging it at least 5 days is my secret.

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Del stopped eating venison? I think we should kick him off. Maybe that's why he looks the way he does in that picture now. Eating deer makes you a man, and now we know what happens when you stop.

from buckstopper wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I love fried deer cube steaks, even without the buckshot. However, I do prefer beef ribs. Deer ribs leave a bad aftertaste.

from michael sheehan wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I like meat,variety is good,give me deer tenderloin anytime anywhere!also remember taste depends on what the critter waz eatin..I have had deer that waz eten acorns and tasted almost bitter.To be honest with ya if that was my first taste ever,i would have been turned off.Now take a deer that has been finished off on apples and corn.....mmmmmm.

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Max Power....I laughed at your comment as much as the article. Wouldn't it be precious to see the look on B.O.'s and Michelle's face when they ate that! Priceless!

I had the opportunity to participate in a scenario much like the one mentioned above in Mn. While the camraderie was great, the product was less than desirable, and I went back to handling my own deer personally. 1 trick I use after skinning is a rosebud torch over the entire carcass to burn off any hair. Take care to do it lightly and quickly as prolonged or too high heat will render the fat and make a mess of cutting. Next, since I have the luxury or a walkin freezer/cooler, I will dry age the venison much like prime beef. In 7 -10 days hanging in the cooler, a thin layer of white hairlike mold should be starting to form. This layer is carefully removed along with the subcutaneous fat layer. Cut and package your dry aged venison with care!
Next item I have to address is that, like beef, venison is best served rare/med rare at most. In my experience the relative bad taste comes not only from improper handling afield and during processing, but OVERCOOKING. Cardinal sin! Rare to med rare for a venison steak and there's not much better. (Although I agree witha previous poster that Elk is far superior in taste, but caribou and moose are very tasty as well, so venison, while I eat more of it, is fourth in Game meat from North America!)

from country road wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

My first tastes of venison were much like Douglas' mom, from deer that were killed on dog drives, gut shot, hauled around in pickups then, to paraphrase Tom Kelly, haggled into unidentifiable hunks of bloody gristle by a succession of drunks with rusty saws and hatchets. You had to drown that stuff in some kind of sauce to choke it down and even then the tallow stuck stuck to your mouth so badly that you had to scrape it out with your fingernails. Since I learned to take care of my own venison and how to cook it, I think it is delicious and I kill four or five deer a year for the freezer. Still, if you have any USDA prime sirloin or prime rib that you're giving away, please keep me in mind. I need to keep my cholesterol level up where the doctor has something to scold me about.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

venison all the way it's healthier and has a more natural taste and is just perfect with some potatos and a little seasoning salt over the top.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Venison is Healthier, tastes better , I like Elk best, Whitetails that graze in the nearby cornfields, next than Bison and Caribou .

I rarely eat beef or pork because of cholesterol anymore and no longer like the taste and chemicals. JMNSVHO guys!

from Big O wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

TO FUNNY Mr. Bestul. To shane: FOR SHAME ON YOU SIR ! (lol).

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I will continue to say it... as long as deer is cooked properly and handled well before it even gets on the table... it will be a hands down win for venison.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Not all venison tastes the same, just as not all beef taste's the same. For my *mone* there's no better value than a Prime quality beef standing rib roast for flavor and tenderness when prepared properly. But I also enjoy venison. It has a different taste, it's sufficiently tender and flavorful (when you prepare it properly for the cut you are using) and it gives an entirely different kind of satisfaction than when you serve up a presentation quality roast of beef.

I'm glad to live in a world where I can still choose both.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I like venison very much but not nearly as much as a NY strip or porterhouse.

from 270WSM wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Great story. I agree venison is tops.

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Venison is tops, but beef is good too. I will not turn down either. Almost out of venison, can't wait until fall.

from BamaHunter wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

The only beef I eat at home is when I purchase a box of ready made burgers for a pool party, etc. A perfectly med rare filet at the steakhouse is my out-to-eat choice. Other than that, everything from the hamburger helper to the "sirloin" veggie kebabs to the country fried steak at my house is venison. Two trips a year to western KY and Alabama's 3 buck/unlimited doe 70 day season keeps my extended family well stocked.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I raise beef and know what they are eating. they eat exactly the same feed as wild deer do. the only difference is the deer are wild and eat it in the field and cows are fed in a feedlot. If you didn't already know that you are not very informed. you should realize the amount of work involved in getting fresh meat to your table that ranchers like me do everyday. I realize that some people lead you to beleive that cattle are grown in laboratories but if you ever opened your eyes you would see that they are grazing the same fields and pastures that deer do. If beef was not the best meat noone would eat it, and people would be raising somthing else. There are also strict regulations when it comes to slaughter houses and how they have to be cleaned. Your food supply from the USA is the safest food in the world. You shouldn't have to even wonder about it. I also know that you can't taste chemicals in the meat. You don't use vaccines or pour ons within a certain amount of days before slaughter. Get your facts straight.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Fresh venison tenderloin is hard to beat.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I eat BOTH types with reckless abandon!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I love to sneak it into spaghetti sauce or a "lamb" stew, or meat loaf.
Mother in law don't even know shes eating it!

from jbird wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I'm surprised that "dumb hunter" stereotypical story didn't come from Disney.

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Grasshopper sees forked tongue of Mr.Sarcasm.

from Gritz wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Scott- I loved the story, probably close to the truth in some instances.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I've never treated ay wild game that badly.....

from hunter4ever wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

now don't get me wrong i love deer but good beef not from a holstein is better.

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Nice comparison!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from TonyK wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

hilarious! thanks for sharing.

I prefer venison.

from michael sheehan wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from country road wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

TO FUNNY Mr. Bestul. To shane: FOR SHAME ON YOU SIR ! (lol).

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I like venison very much but not nearly as much as a NY strip or porterhouse.

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Brian W. Thair wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I'm glad to live in a world where I can still choose both.

from 270WSM wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Great story. I agree venison is tops.

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from BamaHunter wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Fresh venison tenderloin is hard to beat.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

I eat BOTH types with reckless abandon!

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago