Trail Cams: A Sure Cure For Those Post-Vacation Blues

Whitetail 365

July 30, 2009

Trail Cams: A Sure Cure For Those Post-Vacation Blues

By Scott Bestul

I was on vacation with my family for the better part of a week, and it is always tough to return. But last year, I figured out a trick that lets me look forward to getting back home; I stick out a bunch of trail cameras! Instead of mourning my return to work routines and house chores, I find my excitement building the closer the vehicle gets to our house.

So after helping unload the van ... I offered to go pick up our dog from the kennel (well actually, my folk’s house). And on the way I just had to slip into a couple of spots and pull my cameras. Sneaky, huh?

I spent the better part of last night deleting dozens of doe pictures (including one old nanny that camped in front of the camera for the better part of two hours), but there were a few gems in there that I had to keep. The buck pictured above looks pretty darn nice to me; tall and reasonably heavy, a nicely-muscled physique….definitely a deer I hope I get a better look at in about six weeks, when our archery season opens.

So how bout you guys? Anything decent showing up on your cameras?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

I have an 8pt that'll go about 125. My neighbor was out jogging the other day and said he saw a buck with "at least 6 on each side." That sounds promising. Otherwise I haven't been real serious about scouting yet.

from lovetohunt wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Not yet, I have 2 cams. I keep one on my property and one on a bean field I am allowed to hunt on. The one on my property is on a new food plot and I get only pictures of does and fawns. But recently on the bean field cam I got a picture of a very tall 3 point. He will be great in a year or two.

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Got a 3.5 year old ten point with kickers that is still growing and looks like he'll score about 140 this year. He would probably go about 170 or so at 5.5 if we dont put the hammer down on him this year.

from Big C wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Unfortunately my cam is a couple hours away and I have not been able to check it in almost a month. I plan to go up in another week or so to see what I got pics of...I can't wait!! At last check I had a few smaller bucks but that was early July and they have had more time to grow since then.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Nothing but a bunch of does with fawns,and a lot of young bucks. I'll be moving a couple of cameras to different locations for the Bruisers!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

So far does, fawns and small bucks. I know that will change in a month or so.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

got a couple decent bucks on a farm i am working on. the farmer is getting older and when i asked for permission to scout and hunt, he said "help me on the farm for awhile and in the fall you get time to hunt". good deal.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

putting some out this weekend, hope to find out if there are any shooters in the area

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

check out my profil pics, there is a nice 8 pointer and some does

from salmonquest wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Not much so far just a couple does. I put my cameras in new spots so here's hoping.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

For me, nothing exciting at all. Some does and a lot of bucks, but small at that. But I guess I shouldn't expect much more than that. I have seen a lot of hogs though so it is kind of bittersweet.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Just put it out this week. It's chigger season here, so i wore hip wader to avoid getting them while walking thru the underbrush. Will probably check it tommorrow. Usually i have a few to check, but one got stolen last year, and i ruined one by leaving it in the bed of my pickup overnight. The rain collected in my bed because i was parked on a slope and the cam got submerged. My own stupidity(forgetfulness). I'll buy another soon.

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. www.lavinstudio.com

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from lovetohunt wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Big C wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

So far does, fawns and small bucks. I know that will change in a month or so.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago