Tree Stands, Harleys, and the "F&S Buck"

Whitetail 365

July 10, 2009

Tree Stands, Harleys, and the "F&S Buck"

By Scott Bestul

If you’re a regular on this website, you no doubt recall the “Field & Stream” buck, the video of which caused quite a sensation last summer. The buck, filmed in Buffalo County, Wisconsin, by guide Scott Kirkpatrick, was shot in early November by bowhunter Bob Decker. The monster whitetail scored 233-2/8” and ranks 8th among all Wisconsin non-typicals and is the Badger State’s top bow-killed nontypical buck.

So “The Field & Stream” buck should now rightfully be known as “The Decker Buck.”

But this great deer is getting even more exposure lately and may eventually be known to some as, “The Lone Wolf Buck.” In a new ad for Lone Wolf Tree Stands, the Decker/Field & Stream buck is shown strapped to the back of a Lone Wolf stand, which is strapped to back of a young, very buff bowhunter riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle!

I’m a big fan of Lone Wolf products, having used them extensively in my whitetail hunting journeys (none of which has ever involved a Harley, by the way). So I got a kick out of this ad, and am glad that Jeff Bast—co-owner of Bast/Durbin Associates, the company that handles Lone Wolf’s publicity—pointed it out to me this week. It’s an interesting take on the modern bowhunting experience, no doubt. But I thought folks who’d followed the saga of the Field & Stream Buck might be interested to know that this is one deer that just keeps getting air time!

from jjas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I can't blame lone wolf for trying to appeal to the "Michael Waddell" demographic.

Keeping young men/women in the sport is the only way it's going to continue on.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I"VE GOT FRIENDS THAT HUNT/FISH/RIGHT OFF THE BACK OF THERE HARLEYS.IS THERE ANY WAY TO OBTAIN A POSTER OF THIS PHOTO AD??

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Back in the early 80's that's how I got to my huntin' area ... minus the Decker Buck,and Lone Wolf.

I believe my tree stand back then was a Loc-On-Spirit,and a High Country Bow ... ahhh,that was the good 'ol care free days!

I like those Lone Wolf tree stands though,comfortable and light.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Thats a good ad. Tuff to beat nice deer and Harley's

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

i'm with john where can i get a poster of that ad, and for the harleys I own one and ride it to scout hunting spot. Only in the USA

from MB915 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Not back for early season, but late season in december that harley would be might chilly. But it sure does make me want to hit the road and do some cross country hunting.

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Love the ad, love the buck and love that Harley!

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

oh,to be young again,nice ad.
Don

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Once upon a time a motorcycle was my only transportation year round. On one 350 mile trip into northern MN I shot a black bear never having prevously thought "how to get him home on a cycle?" A lot of incredulous stares were directed my way on the trip home.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Great ad! I love my Lonewolf and who doesn't want to own a Harley.

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

That´s a very cool ad indeed.

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Question: Why does he have just the head/cape? Wasting the rest?

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I haven't seen anything like this before, but I am for any type of ad that gets more people interested in hunting.

from RAZORBACK wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I agree with all, great ad. My favorite part is the "ONLY IN AMERICA" splash accross the top.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Looks like a great ad... shows how Bad@ss hunters really are. haha

from steve182 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Is that why a new LoneWolf is so expensive?

from JohnR wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Last season a man who hunts from a Harley had his deer stolen off of the back of it when he stopped for some gas and a sandwich. He said he couldn't believe it because he was in the store no longer than five minutes. They cut the bungees and took the deer!

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Now I'm gonna have to deck out my Sportster with some mud tires, camo duct tape and a luggage rack.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Some of these guys had a really good point. . .

WHERE CAN WE GET THIS AS A POSTER????

from MageeCreek wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Hey, first off, I called LW and sounds like they're willing to market the posters if they get enough requests, so CALL OR EMAIL! I'd love to get my hands on one, too. Second, in response to Shane...I'll bet he just dropped the meat at the butcher and is on his way to the taxidermist! HA! And last, but not least, in response to Steve 182, a good ad is like a good treestand, it's worth every penny if it gets the job done right! In the case of Lone Wolf, the quality of their ads simply matches the quality of their stands. Marketing 101, right? In this case, it's a lesson that holds true.

from jjas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Keeping young men/women in the sport is the only way it's going to continue on.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from MB915 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from charlie elk wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from RAZORBACK wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Looks like a great ad... shows how Bad@ss hunters really are. haha

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I like those Lone Wolf tree stands though,comfortable and light.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Thats a good ad. Tuff to beat nice deer and Harley's

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Love the ad, love the buck and love that Harley!

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

oh,to be young again,nice ad.
Don

from steve182 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Is that why a new LoneWolf is so expensive?

from JohnR wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Some of these guys had a really good point. . .

WHERE CAN WE GET THIS AS A POSTER????

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Great ad! I love my Lonewolf and who doesn't want to own a Harley.

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

That´s a very cool ad indeed.

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Question: Why does he have just the head/cape? Wasting the rest?

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago