Urban Legends

Whitetail 365

July 20, 2009

Urban Legends

By Scott Bestul

One of the largest whitetail bucks I have ever seen was not running across an Iowa cornfield, or careening through a northwoods clearcut, or even languishing behind the high-fence at a petting zoo.

He was standing in the cloverleaf of a busy highway, about three miles from the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. It was a relatively high-traffic afternoon and, despite vehicles whizzing past and jets roaring overhead, this mega-buck stood as placid as a dairy cow, licking his flank. Every time the buck’s head would bob, a huge drop tine would scratch the hide along his backbone. Thankfully I wasn’t driving that day, because my rubber-necking would have certainly caused a multi-car pileup.

That incident happened several years ago, and the buck I saw is certainly dead by now. The buck in the photo above, however, is certainly not. He is alive and well and causing hunters in a certain Midwestern city to have night sweats and speak in odd tongues. This photo, supposedly shot from the back patio of a home, shows a monstrous non-typical that’s been running awhile. Note his open mouth and tongue hanging out….A sign that he is either a) looking for does or b) running from danger. Given his civilized environment, I’m guessing the former.

So how 'bout you guys? Ever seen a monster in the city? Lucky enough to have access to hunt one of these urban legends?

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I just uploaded a couple photos of a muley deer I saw last year on the Verizon property. I just saw him last week up on the hillside behind the building, even bigger than last year and it's only July. Click on my account name to see.

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

We live on the outskirts of North Pole, Alaska and have been privileged enough to share my yard with moose, grizzly and black bears, wolves and the occasional lynx...We havnt had any 'monster' bulls wander through lately but Ive been fighting a daily battle with a young bull who has developed a taste for my garden...moose season is only 6 weeks away, so I hope he sticks around until then...

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Kingfisher North Pole is part of my old stomping grounds.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from my apartment i have seen a cupple of small bucks, does and a monster 8 point and i'm only a block a way from interstate 39 in wausau,

from jjas wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

The biggest 8 pointer I've ever seen (a solid 150 incher) was located behind a friends house on 4 acres that backed up to a little larger piece of property.

Unfortunately, I had my head up my backside when my one and only shot every presented itself (boredom has a way of causing that).

The downside to hunting these type deer is the fact that people see you coming and going and it doesn't take long for the animal lovers to start "hiking" around you and/or the neighborhood the thieves to make off with your treestands.

There can be trememdous deer in those spots though.

Jim

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

The 2 biggest whitetails I have ever seen were feeding near busy highways in Shawnee Mission and olathe KS. One was a monster 14 pt typical. The other had a huge mass of non-typical antlers growing on the top of his head. Both bucks were big, old and pot-bellied and accompanied by smaller bucks. Police buddies told me about another monster that lived right in town here in Olathe but I never got a good look at him. There are some big ones in my profile pics that were taken in the city limits last year.

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

While not the biggest I've ever seen, there was a very respectable buck off 11th street in Pueblo, Co down by the Arkansas rivers Pueblo reservoir tailwaters.

from mountaindew732 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I wish I had a picture to post with this, but I was driving through town, during the rut season, and a large 8-point buck was trotting around in front of the Blockbuster, apparently confused and out of place, as I'm sure he wasn't renting movies.

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I live in New Jersey, and from my commuter train I once saw two massive main frame 8-points, absolutely huge bucks--heavy, wide, tall, symetry, the complete package--standing in the wide open of the 18th fairway of a golf course. I about pooped my pants.

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I used to hunt an area that was being developed from 3 sides. Easily saw 20 bucks in a night. 5 or so trophies. Took a 140 class 8pt and a doe on the same night.

from shane wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

12 pointer in velvet in the back yard/garden a week or 2 ago.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Yep and that sucker is going to die of old age!!!

from buckbagger2004 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I know there are large deer in urban areas, but doesn't this photo look a little strange. Everything in the picture is blurry except the buck. It looks photoshopped to me.

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

in fact i am scouting a bean field down the road from my father's house that has 3 or 4 decent bucks (4-8 pts) plus one monster (12+ pts). The approach will be up a ditch. this should get me inside 100 yards.

from FULLDRAWBOB wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

i use to hunt big woods and have taken the biggest deer in small wood were you would think there were not any deer in.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I see a pattern forming here. These small pockets of inaccessable or unhuntable land grow huge bucks. Age and nutrition support this growth, and the lack of hunting pressure assures these bucks'll stay put. Now if only we can find a way in to hunt these pockets(i know of a few) we could bag the buck of a lifetime. I try to get creative each year with a couple of these types of spots, during archery. Has yet to pay off though.

from jbird wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

There is a monster behind my house. Missed him w/ a bow 2 season's back. Long tines, very wide, counted 14 points while my heart was stopping, all BIG points too. I snort-wheezed as he was walking off, and he doubled back and came straight toward me, up a creek bank. As he passed under a tree w/ lots of leaves still on it, I drew my bow, he peeked his head out from under the branches and looked straight up @ me. Stand-off, and I'm at full draw w/ no clear shot. He won, and walked off slowly, stopping and looking back at me about 6 times. This is in city limits in a big suburb. Still haunts my dreams

from MNhunter23 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have three monsters in my backyard, one huge 10 pointer with all kinds of stickers on his bases measuring at least four inches each, a huge six pointer with a 21+ inch inside spread and tall tines, and a really nice 12 pointer. No chance I will ever be able to hunt them though.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I really don't think that anything in Florida relative to deer would ever be considered a "monster". But I will never forget the first time I went to Kansas City to visit some family and spotting a humongous buck on the side of the road with a nice rack, a nice 8 point. I was rudely interupted from my dream by my Uncle who said "That's just a baby compared to most other deer around here". To me, that buck was the biggest deer I had ever seen.

from BarkinSpider wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

A treestand on a telephone pole ought to do the trick.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

You wanna see large deer in an urban environment, check out the deer on Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. In fact, check out most of central MD - plenty of deer, not enough predators (aka hunters)

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Yep!
As I sit here and type, their is a potential state record that resides during the summer, less than a 10th-of a mile from my back yard.
My buddy who holds the Kentucky state typical record, has seen him on the way to my house.

One evening while grilling out, my wife and I could see him browsing 285-yards from our outdoor grill and dining table.

Yes,I did put a range finder on him ...

from pike wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

He is a beast for sure. Probably chasing does though. If you notice there is a big doe in the upper left hand corner of the pic. I would have to let the G5 Montec have a heart to heart with this stud!

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

THE MULEY BUCK IN A YEAR IN F/S FIRSTSHOTS PIC 2O.AND I PERSONALY SEEN A BIG ONE THE OTHER MORNING ON A FISHING TRIP.

from jsobrien wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I think all the monster bucks live in the city. I had a budy of mine shoot a massive 8 pointer last year with a 23 inch inside spread. The joke is he was walkin in to his stand which is on a forty acre lot in the city when he saw this buck along with some does in the field his stand was in. He instantly droped to his knees and crawled slowly towards the buck and when he felt he couldn't get any closer he pulled the triger and dropped the monster.

from Big C wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

Some good stories here. Unfortunately I have never seen a "monster" buck in the city....or even in the woods for that matter. I think that most people are lucky to see a true monster and I hope that eventually my time will come.

from chadian wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

capture your moment in history with the enduring leagacy of art. www.lavinstudio.com

from BigBuckHunterDan wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Thats a huge buck.

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 35 weeks ago

There is 4 mule deer that live in a nearby town with one dandy buck, I was over there 3 days ago and they were bedded down at Dairy Queen!

from mountaindew732 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from stumpthumper wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Yep and that sucker is going to die of old age!!!

from ggmack wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from FULLDRAWBOB wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from KingFisher907 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Kingfisher North Pole is part of my old stomping grounds.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

There can be trememdous deer in those spots though.

Jim

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

12 pointer in velvet in the back yard/garden a week or 2 ago.

from buckbagger2004 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from MNhunter23 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from BarkinSpider wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

A treestand on a telephone pole ought to do the trick.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Yep!

Yes,I did put a range finder on him ...

from pike wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago