BuckTracker: South Dakota Saga Builds

Whitetail 365

February 04, 2009

BuckTracker: South Dakota Saga Builds

By Scott Bestul

corbet buck

The now-dead “Field & Stream buck” enjoyed quite a run a few months ago, but another giant Midwestern monster is gaining its own reputation. This fall we showcased a monster whitetail living in the city limits of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, that was well known to area residents. We revisited that behemoth buck mere weeks ago in this space, when I snooped into rumors the giant non-typical had been killed by a vehicle. Those rumors proved false, thankfully.

The story took on new legs less than a week ago when Sioux Falls resident Kelly Kirsch—who’d been watching the buck as it regularly visited a field—found both of the whitetail’s shed antlers. Kirsch had noticed the buck was missing its rack one day and received permission to search for the sheds. Finding the first side took him only 20 minutes. The other antler wasn’t so easy. Kirsch walked for 3 days and an estimated 30 miles to find the match, but his effort was worth it; the set is estimated to score around 250” B&C as a nontypical.

For a more comprehensive look at the shed story, watch this video provided by KELO TV in Sioux Falls….and stay tuned to Buck Tracker in the months ahead. We might have stumbled on to the “Son of the Field & Stream Buck”!

from 60256 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

3 Days!!!! Wow that takes dedication. Does he have a job or is he retired?? I can't believe that a buck like that would be wandering around there. F&S is always talking about the old, wary buck. IS this an acception?

Nate

from kvlazer22 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Hope we get some pictures!

from waterdrinker9 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

That man was determined to find that rack. That buck will be really nice next year.

from MNhunter23 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Amazing story and fantastic deer. I will be surprised if he isn't poached next season though, the news video said he would rank as the #2 whitetail in state history

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

That is a nice buck that no one will likely harvest legally. My friend, hunting buddy and taxidermist Dan Snowbarger www.ddstaxidermy.com just showed me a monster he is mounting. Steve Binkley shot this 242 inch non-typical in Iowa at 10 ft with a bow. Steve's buck will be featured on the cover of a national magazine soon. The buck is stored in a secure location. That is one AWEsome buck. Tomorrow I will take a few pics for Dan to post on his website. I've been told Steve had no idea that buck was around until he showed up for the bowshot of a lifetime. This buck was arrowed in Southwestern Iowa a little north of the Missouri border.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

If you click the above link and look at the trophy pics the 8 pt is a deer I shot in MO in 07. It will be a day or two before the monster pics can be posted.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

after all the publicity, that deer's days are numbered! just hope it ends in fair chase and not poaching!

from kchunter09 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

A three day walk is DEDICATION!!! Some of the biggest bucks are found within city limits,due to the fact of little or no hunting pressure.I know where Im at there are some monsters.I took a deer in 03 that scored 175 2/8 non typical. cant wait to see the sheds that were found on this buck.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

from 60256 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Nate

from kvlazer22 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago

Hope we get some pictures!

from waterdrinker9 wrote 5 years 10 weeks ago