Poll Shows Iowans Oppose Dove Hunting

Field Notes

February 27, 2009

Poll Shows Iowans Oppose Dove Hunting

By Dave Hurteau

From the Des Moines Register:

A poll published today shows Iowa voters oppose dove hunting nearly 2-to-1 1,
although the bill in the Legislature to allow it again shows little sign of passing.

A survey conducted last week by Mason-Dixon Polling and Research found 53 percent of Iowa voters oppose dove hunting, compared to 27 percent who support it.

The poll question noted that the practice had been outlawed since 1918 and that the Iowa Legislature was considering a bill to allow it again.

from wallofsam wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

To bad... we almost had dove hunting here in Michigan. The Bill passed and then was halted just before the season was set to start. I don't understand why bird watchers like these birds so much. If they had a bird feeder they would realize what bullies they are, driving away the other songbirds. Also, maybe if they tasted them once, they might realize how delicious they are!

from NNMountaineer wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Thats too bad, come on down to central or eastern Virginia and yall can shoot some of ours...

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

It's a shame any state has their game dept. run by politicans. Let the biologists' do the regulating for game. I'd like to see a rundown of the states that have an independant game dept. and those that are at the mercy of the legislature.

from JohnR wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I'm sure most of the folks in Iowa are good people, but what the heck is wrong with them? A dove is a game bird and mighty tasty.

from MLH wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I wonder if PETA/HSUS used similar ad campaigns as in Michigan. Misleading, deceitful, and emotionally charged. They even showed a "hunter" who said he was against dove hunting.

from drquackers wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago
from NorCal Cazadora wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Ain't it amazing we can still hunt doves in California?

I've seen other surveys that show nationwide support for dove hunting much lower than that, so Iowa's actually in good shape. But this is why HSUS goes after dove hunting - they say they just go after "egregious" forms of hunting, but what they do is go after the low-hanging fruit - anything that doesn't fare well in the polls. And face it, killing pretty cooing birds is always going to get a way worse reaction in a telephone survey than killing nasty, scraggly, filthy ole pigs.

What I love is what they said in Minnesota last year - that hunters don't even eat them - just use them for target practice. Morons.

from peter wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

have it here in pa

from jamesti wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

you would think a state like iowa with so many good populations of doves and other birds would be all for it. too bad our sport isn't what it used to be. time to get more people involved and get our numbers up.

from wsimien wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

That is what happens when only 27 percent of your state voters are hunters. sure glad we have it in Kansas. Iowa is missing out.

from steve182 wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I never trust Polls to accurately reflect anything other than what the pollsters want them to say

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

I've worked with that polling firm before when I was a newspaper editor - they're good people, not hacks. And I read the questions on the HSUS press release, and they seemed pretty straightforward. But it is really surprising that Iowans feel this way...

from 16gapheasantphiend wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

I live in NW Iowa and work on a 12000 arce grain/cattle operation even now or in Jan w/-14 weather(actual temp windchill was -27) I still saw doves all over and it drives me crazy until this fall I lived in South Carolina for 10 years and got very attached to my dove shooting I LOVE THOS LITTLE MISSLES!!!! THEY ARE GREAT ON THE GRILL TOO!! LOL I grew up in N. Illinois and we had a dove season there but I had to hunt public land and fight for a spot with all the out-of-staters from wis. since they had no season Iowa surely has dove numbers high enough to support a season. I really hope these people see the light My 13-yr Old Daughter was absolutely heartbroken when she found out no dove season when we moved here its warm and sunny and a great way to get our kids in the field with us. Small gauge guns and good climate and fast action its a beautiful thing. Despite what the polls say I know in my part of Iowa theres a family of sports-people crossing our fingers,toes and eyes for a dove season.

from NorCal Cazadora wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago

Ain't it amazing we can still hunt doves in California?

from jamesti wrote 5 years 6 weeks ago