West Virginia Eyes Saturday Start To Deer Season

Whitetail 365

February 19, 2009

West Virginia Eyes Saturday Start To Deer Season

By Dave Hurteau

From The Charleston Daily Mail:

The most anticipated day in the state is the opening of the traditional deer hunting season. It begins on the Monday morning before Thanksgiving.

Opening the buck gun season after a weekend -instead of allowing hunters to incorporate the weekend into the hunt - has always been inconvenient.

Now Gov. Joe Manchin and Frank Jezioro, director of the Division of Natural Resources, suggest moving the season opener to Saturday. It's proposed that the state also allow Sunday hunting in all 55 counties - but only for that one weekend.

What do you think? Good idea? What do you think is the best day of the week to start the deer season?

from 60256 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I think that North Dakota has the right time to start the season. It starts on Friday at 12:00 noon. It gives you half a day to get to your land, most kids, like myself, don't have to worry about school because there is so many kids gone that they don't even schedule school on that day, and you get half a day of hunting before the weekend. It works just fine. It's always funny to hear gunshots all over the place at 12:01.

Nate

from kolbster wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

i don't agree with hunting on Sunday, that is up for change in NC for the 2009-2010 season and i hope it doesn't pass.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

It's always been Sat. morning opening here. A ban on Sun. hunting always seemed silly to me. That means a working man generally only gets Sat. to hunt, if he's lucky. And I'm talking all game not just deer.

from estanaway wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

My opinion depends largely on the over population of deer, if there are too many deer then by all means extend the season by opening it earlier and allow hunting on Sunday. I believe that a law that doesn't allow hunters to hunt on one of the two days they get off, is nuts. I understand the biblical idea, but here in the north we don't have a similar law, and most of the church goes here catch either the morning or evening service and hunt through the other.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

The Commonwealth of Virginia is listening to their hunters. Most hunters have the week-end off and it probably fits in to most Virginians schedule. The antiscipation of opening day is like no other day. Hunters here in Kentucky generally get together the night before in some fashion. We generally camp out the Friday before, have fellowship and swap stories ... we are always awake before the alarm goes off. I'm sure week-end huntin' in Virginia will be a part of the tradition for years to come ... it's a good thing!

from rrmont wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I think that they should start it the Wensday before, because most people are off for the rest of the week, and they will have a chance to go with family and friends. The kids are out of school, and that will give them a chance to go out with Dad, mom, grandpa. They will have a few more days to learn how to hunt the right why.

from wvhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I am for the change to the starting date of the gun season. Opening day monday is like a national holiday in the state. Schools and buisnesses close and the ones that stay open can hardly operate because nobody shows up. Schools close for the entire week becuase of poor attandance and personel absentees. This change may aleviate some of this. The division of natural resources can regulate the length of the season to change with the deer population changes. On the topic of sunday hunting I work 6 days a week. The only time I can hunt is when I take vaction days which are in limited supply. Why am I not allowed to enjoy hunting like everbody else? If your worried about church attendance on Sunday. The guys that skip to go hunting were not going to be there to begin with. You want hunting to be closed, but you sure like going to a resturant or stoping by the store for odds and ends on Sunday!! If you do not agree with Sunday hunting...then don't go. That is your personal choice. But please stop forcing your personal choices on others!!

from schwings wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Open it up to hunting on Sundays, I cannot imagine not being able to go out all weekend. Let the people decide when they want to hunt, not the State.

from 007 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I am opposed to it, and Sunday hunting, as I think the game deserves at least one day of rest from us. I am NOT an tree hugger, member of PETA, or anything of the sort. I am a hunter, but also a conservationist.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from waterdrinker9 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

My family owns a house and hunting land in WV so we go to WV the Sunday before the season starts and come home Wednesday for Thanksgiving. Then the gun season in Maryland opens on Saturday where we usually hunt. If WV wants to open the season on Saturday, that is fine by me. Saturday I think is the best day to open hunting season.

from pike wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I have always had the opportunity to hunt on Sun. I think it is awesome because a lot of people don't hunt sun. anyways and its a good weekend day without a lot of other people in the field. I have taken many deer on a Sun. and it should be allowed everywhere. If they want to go to church instead then they could still be allowed to hunt the evening.

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Not many holier places to keep the Sabbath than contemplating our place in the woods.

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I can't believe anyone takes this no hunting on Sunday thing seriously!?!

I have no problem at all if you want to go to church on Sunday instead of hunting. You can even hold the opinion that no one should hunt on Sunday since the bible says it is the day of rest.

But what gives the government the right to impose your religious views on me? Does the government prevent the NFL from playing football or NASCAR from racing on Sunday?

As far as using it as a management technique to "give the deer a day of rest from us" as our "conservationist" friend suggests; Wouldn't lowering bag limits or shortening the season accomplish the same thing without eliminating one of the two days of the week that I can actually hunt?!?

from FairChase wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

You know I dont understand when someone speaks their opinion on an article that asks "What do you think?" they get negative points from people. ("007") It doesn't say agree with the majority or dont post anything. It asks to post what you think. Negative points should be given to off topic, offensive, or just plain ignorant posts. Not to people taking the time to intelligently give their opinion.

Here in my part of VA many people hunt deer with dogs. I've always been taught that the wildlife deserves a fair chance. (I know some of you may not think hunting with dogs does that, but anyway.) So around here Sunday gives a break to the deer. I don't really see anything wrong with still-hunting on Sunday. I don't feel like it really puts pressure on the deer like dog hunting.

And one last thing shouldn't we all be conservationists? I kind of got the vibe from an earlier post that something was wrong with that. Dont be one and see how long you get to enjoy this sport.

from 007 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Thanks, Fairchase, good hunting to you and yours. Those of us that live in WV are seeing more liberal seasons and bag limits in some parts of the state and seemingly fewer deer. I do not mean to debate quantity vs. quality but I do know it is a bit disheartening to see two or three where you are used to seeing twelve or fifteen. Nor do I mean to condemn the WV DNR at this point but where do sound conservation practices leave off and the quest for more dollars begin?

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I really think we are kidding ourselves if we think that "no hunting on Sunday" regulations are designed to give the deer a break. If that were the case why not ban hunting on some other day? Wednesday perhaps?

it seems a little convenient that this day just happens to coincide with the sabbath; and that these regulations are most common in places where social conservatives use the government to force evangelical agendas on the populous.

oh, and some of you are about to say that banning hunting on Wednesday won't be effective since almost no one hunts during the week when everyone is at work. I will then quickly point out that by your own logic the deer already have 5 days of rest per week without any DNR regulated "day of rest"

from steve182 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I think the Saturday start is great as long as the Sunday is open. I don't want to debate the merits of sunday hunting because i can see both sides, but a Saturday start gives the weekend hunter only one day to hunt without it. I currently hunt pa. and nj. Two states that don't allow Sunday hunting. We know n.j. has no intent to expand hunting oppurtunities (unless they plan on another permit to hunt $unday$) but it is has been considered pa. Doubt it'll ever pass, but it would help the hunter like myself who travels several hours to huntfor a few days at a time a few times a year. Another day in the woods each trip,...I'm for it.

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Steve182,
this is going to sound confrontational, but I really don't mean it to be. I genuinely want to understand the other side of the argument.

you say that you can see both sides of the "no hunting on Sunday" debate. Can you explain the argument against hunting on Sunday for me?

no one has been able to explain it to me in a way that stands up to scrutiny.

is it that the separation of church and state clause only applies to the federal gov't? (which is true by the way) Therefore, the states should be free to legislate religious beliefs?

or do you see a scientific argument that banning hunting on Sunday is a more effective way than shortening seasons, lowering bag limits, etc... to ease hunting pressure on game species?

or is there some other reason I'm not seeing.

from steve182 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Ken, let me clarify. I am For Sunday hunting completely. I can understand however, non-hunters (not antis) who live in heavily hunted areas opposing it, namely gun-hunting. I see no valid reason against Sunday archery hunts.

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

so if the argument is that non-hunters deserve one day per week with no shotgun or rifle blasts coming from the woods why can't that day be; say... Wednesday?

I think If we look at this issue closely we will see that these regulations are left over from a time when the church and state are even more entangled than they currently are.

The clergy saw that were fewer men in the pews during hunting season so they told the legislators to ban hunting on Sundays to bring church attendance up. Of course, the legislators obliged.

Fast forward to the 21st century and we are stuck with basing our conservation policy on century old theology instead of sound modern ecology.

Just my two cents, but I would love a better explanation from someone.

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just my two cents, but I would love a better explanation from someone.

from ttmiller wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago

I feel that West Virginia should maintain the season they already have established for the past how many years. I have taken notice to the out of state comments on hunting (which most are) and feel that it should be up to resident hunters to make the call along with local county governments. I am from Pa. and if hunting is allowed on Sunday and the opening day would be Saturday, I can guarantee you that I can name 800 acres of land that will not be hunted on and in my area I'm sure a lot more would be the same. If you are interested in wildlife and their survival, you need to look at it from a side of protection (they need a day off), for if we don't protect them, they will follow the same trail as the bison.

The sabbath (actually Saturday) was made for man and all creatures - - man did not create the sabbath. Evidently by the e-mails I read their are not many god believers in the men writing about or the governments creating new opening dates on Saturday (sabbath) and hunting on Sunday. Governments would be about money - - What's our excuse - - satisfaction.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Steve182,

no one has been able to explain it to me in a way that stands up to scrutiny.

or is there some other reason I'm not seeing.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from wvhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from schwings wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I can't believe anyone takes this no hunting on Sunday thing seriously!?!

from FairChase wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from 60256 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Nate

from estanaway wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from rrmont wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from pike wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just my two cents, but I would love a better explanation from someone.

from ken.mcloud wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just my two cents, but I would love a better explanation from someone.

from ttmiller wrote 4 years 50 weeks ago