How To Grill Sweet Corn

The Wild Chef

August 20, 2012

How To Grill Sweet Corn

By David Draper

It’s sweet corn season and I’m doing everything I can to get my fill of the delicious golden treat that only comes around once a year. I’ve got a jar of on-the-cob corn pickling in the basement, and have been adding corn to soups, slaws, scrambled eggs, and anything else I can think of. Of course, I’ve been eating a lot of it directly off the cob, grilled in the husk using this super-simple technique:

- Carefully pull the husks down the cob, leaving them attached at the base.
- De-silk the corn, using a stiff brush if need be.
- Wrap the husk back up over the cob and secure them in place with butcher’s twine.
- Soak the corn in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat your grill to medium high and scrub the grate clean.
- Grill corn for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once, until the kernels are cooked through.
- Remove the corn from the grill and carefully strip the husks from the cob.
- Enjoy with plenty of butter, celery salt, and lots of black pepper.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Draper, I do the same thing except with about 5 or so minutes left I peel the husk back to black some of the corn up. I don't let it get charred but it definitely alters the taste a bit.

from horseshoe_lake wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Why remove the silk first? It seems to come out when we husk it after cooking anyway? Does it keep things cleaner?

from Douglas wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Can you share the "on the cob" pickling technique?

from thequam wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I agree, I would like to hear about the on the cob pickling! Also, I've never tried celery salt, but i'm going to give it a whirl this year.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

One of my favorite ways to grill corn is to use newspaper. First things first, get the charcoal going. Then, I take the cobs of corn (husk and all) and soak them in water that I put a little salt and sugar in. Then place the newspaper in the same water as the corn. Once the grill is ready, I take a few layers of newspaper and place it on the grill. I then take the cobs and put them on the newspapers and cover them up with a few more layers of the newspaper. Put the top back on the grill and give it about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!That pickled corn on the cob sounds tempting. Might have to give that a whirl if you'll give up the recipe.

from larson014 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

grilling this way drys the corn out too much for my taste heres how i do it...

submerge whole corn (husk on) in water with about 1/2 cup of lemon juice

soak for 30 min

remove and place on grill, cook for about 25 min, or when husk starts to char

the corn will steam cook and have a nice crisp lemony taste, all you have to do is just peel the husk back and chomp away (the silk will peel back with the husk)

from RonDak wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Use sugar water instead of just regular water.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I also substitute Old Bay seasoning for the celery salt and pepper when I am having seafood.

from jay wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Man, our sweet corn has been over for almost 2 months now.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I've never heard of the sugar water thing, what difference does it make? I don't soak or de-silk, just put it on the grill and roll it around until the husk is charred all around the silk burns a bit and the rest comes off easy when you pull back the husks after cooking.

from vayotehowler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

throw some wet hickory chips on the coals or in the smoker and give it a smoky taste too

from missedit wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Love corn on the grill

from smccardell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from horseshoe_lake wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Can you share the "on the cob" pickling technique?

from thequam wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from larson014 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

grilling this way drys the corn out too much for my taste heres how i do it...

submerge whole corn (husk on) in water with about 1/2 cup of lemon juice

soak for 30 min

remove and place on grill, cook for about 25 min, or when husk starts to char

from RonDak wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Use sugar water instead of just regular water.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from jay wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Man, our sweet corn has been over for almost 2 months now.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago