Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Rifles

What ever happenend to the .222 Rem.?

Uploaded on August 05, 2009

The .222 is a good varmint gun but the ammo is hard to find at common places. We reload but every once and a while you have to buy a box for the brass. Now the .223 Rem. takes all the glory. So what ever did happen to the .222?

Top Rated
All Replies
from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

The 223 and 22-250 happend to the 222 which is a shame because it is a very pleasant and accurate round to shoot, back in the day it was considered #1 on the bench.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

The .222 Rem is alive and well in my household, and will remain so as long as the brass is available. When the military adopted the .223/5.56mm, they assured its success and dominance in the marketplace, but the .222 is appreciated most by those who've been shooting since the '60s and '70s. After that, the .222 Rem and .222 Rem Magnum lost market share to those who feel these cartridges offer no advantage to the .223 at all. Objectively, the .222 Rem is a delightfully accurate cartridge that dominated Benchrest competition until it was displaced by the 6x47mm and 6mm PPC cartridges. The .222 Rem allows a pound of powder to last a while and delivers reliably (and without excessive noise) on varmints in the field. There will always be room for a .222 Rem on my rack, and my son will probably be the next to receive mine.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from shane wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Remington 788, .222 Rem. - THE woodchuck gun. Cheap, old, simple, very accurate.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

Shane 788,s are not cheap anymore, the price goes up about every week, I guy offered me $600 for my 788 in 243 just today, but sir you are correct very accurate.

0 Good Comment? | | Report

I haven't checked what they are going for these days.
They were the "bargain" rifle back when they were new. It's good to see that they're fetching good prices now.

If you look around you might find a good one for $400 depending on cal, I saw one at a local gunshop on consignment for $550 in 308 that looked liked it was drug behind a pickup on a gravel road and it was gone 3 days later.

Post a Reply

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 37 weeks ago

The 223 and 22-250 happend to the 222 which is a shame because it is a very pleasant and accurate round to shoot, back in the day it was considered #1 on the bench.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 36 weeks ago

The .222 Rem is alive and well in my household, and will remain so as long as the brass is available. When the military adopted the .223/5.56mm, they assured its success and dominance in the marketplace, but the .222 is appreciated most by those who've been shooting since the '60s and '70s. After that, the .222 Rem and .222 Rem Magnum lost market share to those who feel these cartridges offer no advantage to the .223 at all. Objectively, the .222 Rem is a delightfully accurate cartridge that dominated Benchrest competition until it was displaced by the 6x47mm and 6mm PPC cartridges. The .222 Rem allows a pound of powder to last a while and delivers reliably (and without excessive noise) on varmints in the field. There will always be room for a .222 Rem on my rack, and my son will probably be the next to receive mine.

Remington 788, .222 Rem. - THE woodchuck gun. Cheap, old, simple, very accurate.

If you look around you might find a good one for $400 depending on cal, I saw one at a local gunshop on consignment for $550 in 308 that looked liked it was drug behind a pickup on a gravel road and it was gone 3 days later.

Shane 788,s are not cheap anymore, the price goes up about every week, I guy offered me $600 for my 788 in 243 just today, but sir you are correct very accurate.

I haven't checked what they are going for these days.
They were the "bargain" rifle back when they were new. It's good to see that they're fetching good prices now.

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs