Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Deer Hunting

270 WSM

Uploaded on February 06, 2010

Guys, I am looking for some feedback on the 270 WSM caliber. I have shot a 270 Win for 20 years and just passed it down to my son. I was almost set on getting a 7mm MAG, but I am a little leary of the additional barrel length of a long action magnum. The 270 WSM is 3" shorter in total length that a 7mm MAg in the same make and model rifle. The ballistics on the 270 WSM are impressive. I would be shooting Nosler Partitons out of it. It would be used in Missisippi, where most shots range from 50-200 yards, but an occasional long shot out to 300 is possible. Thanks in advance for any input.

Top Rated
All Replies
from cas0905 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

my cousin shoots a 270wsm and i shoot a 270 i can find bullets he cannot other than he is completely satisfied with his gun. I love mine so we are both happy either way you should be good

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from dukkillr wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

The 270 WSM is a great round with a very flat trajectory. The only downsides are that the ammunition is more expensive and if you reload it's a little more tricky than the 270 Win, but other than it's a pretty good load.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from CJ wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

The .270 WSM is a good deer caliber. Get the 7mm mag for versatility.

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I also have a cousin that shoots a 270wsm that has confirmed kills at over 400+ yards in a CRP open field Ammo is not really a problem because he only shoots it during deer season a box of shells carries over into the following year.One flat shooting demon.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I have seen one of the hunters in our group make some impressive shots on elk with his .270 WSM A-Bolt. I am not a .277 bore fan as I have posted before, so give me the additional 0.007" and make mine a 7 mm/.284 magnum. I can say nothing but good about the .270 WSM!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Better look at the price and availability of ammo. LOL!

Why are you shooting Elk loads on Mississippi deer? Any 130 or 140 grain soft points will do just fine, in fact 130's out of a 270 work fantastic on Caribou.

Why not get another 270 and both of you can shoot the same ammo.

I'll take the 7mm Rem Mag over the 270 WSM any day!

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from steve182 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Clay's right. The .270 worked for you for 20 years. Why not get another? I'll steer clear of Short Mags myself. Good luck in your choice.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

My purchace of a 270 WSM has thrown me into the world of reloading. Had I not bought the WSM and found the high price of the ammo and the fact that the ammo is very hard to find, I would of never jumped into reloading. I can easily shoot 110 gr v-max at 3400 fps makiing my 270 WSM also my varmint rifle. Bottom line is the 270 WSM is a great rifle, it is flat shooting and versatile. The only negative is price and difficulty finding the ammo.

from spark30 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I thought about getting another 270, but I kind of feel like getting something different. I also have a 30/06, so I'd like to get a magnum caliber, but I don't want a long gun. I am getting the Remington 700 CDL SF. This gun in 7 MAG has a 26" barrel, and a total length of 46 1/2". This gun in 270 WSM has a 24" barrel, and a total length of 43 1/2", so my thinking is that I'd have a magnum rifle that is still handy and not real long.

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I regret the day that I got rid of my 270WSM. I traded it because I thought I didn't need it, and everyone knows that at one time everyone has traded a gun for another gun that you just had to have. The 270WSM was a flat shooter and with 130 grain Nosler Balistic tips was a great whitetail rifle. I have hunted in Alabama and used my 300WSM before I got the 270 WSM. A lot of people talk about the expense of ammo but I see very little difference in the cost of the WSM rounds over standard rounds. I may have to have another 270 WSM some day. All of the high power rifles Ii own are Tikka T3 Lites. I have 5 of them. That is what the 270 WSM was and on a good day for me 5 shot cloverleaf groups were the norm. Great Shooter.

from PAShooter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I recently sighted in a 270 WSM in a Savage for a friend who has some vision problems.(eyes blur after prolonged focus) It shot 5 shots in one jaged hole @100 yds. Seems to be a fine gun. You need to be a hand loader for this caliber, I dont't know how long it will be around with manufacturers.

from shane wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Occasionally out to 300 yards? If 300 is your max, there is no reason for the added velocity, not to mention expense, of the WSM. Get another .270. If you want something new try a .308.

from Michael Miller wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

i do not own a 270 wsm ,but i reload every thing i shoot. My manuals tell me that i can shoot a 150 grain bullet as fast as i can shoot 130 grains.this means that i do not need to change my sites from a 130 grain.i have enough energy to shoot elk at 300yds. conservatly and change bullets if need be. 3000 fps is a good volecity for deer and elk from 50 yrds.to 500.if you get the right scope to compansate the drop, as in all calibers do. my choice would be a browning bar.this will be a sweet gun for all shooting.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bufalo wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

I have a beautiful Sako deluxe 7m RM, and a Sako SS in 270 WSM, the 270 short is my primary rifle for everything including varmit, the short action with 24 inch barrel gives me a very balance rifle to shoot and carry all day long, the 7rm I call it the lightning of death, everything I've shot has been killed instantly or almos instantly, but I will keep it if some day if I need heavier bullets for some furry creature, I'll recommend the 270 WSM for the perfect all around rifle...

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Regardless of the rifle model most have had some issues with the WSM class of cartridges. Most have a failure to eject but I have seen one the wouldnt group minute of barn door.Youtude has a good bit of video evidence to this fact.its just too hit or miss for me to risk my hard earned money on at this poi

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

My .270 WSM was a Tikka T3 Lite and I never had a problem with ejection. My buddy has a Winchester and he has never had that problem. I had a Remington 700SPS .300WSM, a Tikka T3 Lite .300WSM, and now a Sako A7 300WSM and I have never had any ejection problems with any of the rifles. If I was buying a new rifle today it would probably be a Sako A7 .270 WSM. All of them would shoot 3 shot cutter groups at 100 yards.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Nice cartridge. I have always been a .270 fan and I am getting to like this cartridge even better. Seems to be more accurate, less recoil and more speed. A pretty deadly round. My sister-in-law shoots one and smacks her deer dead every year. She hates the recoil so I got her shooting 100g and 120g bullets. Life is good for her now. You can't shoot 100s in the 7mm WAM. I really don't understand why but most people think that bullet is too small for deer. The deer sure don't think so though. Both of those bullets flatten deer as long as you use a good hunting bullet. They are certainly harder to find in the store than a .270 Win but then I have only bought one box of factory ammo in my life and don't worry about that.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

While I have seen good results from the .270 WSM with 140 and 150 grain bullets, I can't say about the lighter ones. Why would you want to shoot a 100 gr bullet in a .270 anything? I reserve my little 100 grain shooting to the .257 Roberts @ 3,100 fps. 100 gr bullets in .277 have a poor SD and even poorer BC. Just can't see it....

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Copied and pasted from Chuck Hawkes -

There is a very good selection of bullets in .270 caliber, ranging from about 90-180 grains. Like any .270 Magnum, the WSM version has too much powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets. And the short case of the WSM calibers works against the heaviest (long) bullets. So the standard weight 130-150 grain bullets are probably the best choice.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

WAM, the only reason to shoot light for caliber bullets in the .270 WSM is to get very low recoil. My sister-in-law is pretty slight of frame and she really hated shooting the 130s and 140s to practice for deer hunting. As you know, when a nice buck is in the cross hairs, you don't feel the recoil but she sure felt it in practice. If you use a good bullet, the 100g is plenty bad medicine for deer and the 120s are really a good all around bullet... of course she is doing only longer range shooting across open fields. The recoil is mild now and the extra speed just makes it easier to hit them.

from Catdaddy1977 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

my name is larry wayne strong i live in kentucky i own a 270 wsm the gun is very impressive gun i have mad shots at over 400 yards no deer has ever walk away from this gun or elk or bear i soot this gun all the time best long rang gun there is no kick you know speed kills but you cant tell people that the 270 wsm will blow a nasty hole in what ever you shoot i will lay down on the binch with any body bring on the other guns boys you cant do anything with the 270 wsm i know my buddys has tried to many times so if you are looking for a good deer gun or elk or bear this gun will do it all

from Buffaloguyaz wrote 26 weeks 3 days ago

Just took a smaller Bison in Idaho with a .270 WSM Thompson and Barnes Vortex 140 copper bullet. The .270 WSM dropped it right there at 150 yards. My guide re-affirmed what all real hunters know- the shot location is more important than the gun. He mentioned how a lady hunter used a .338 Lapua earlier this year and hit a Bison in the hump and didn't even phase it! The .270 WSM recoil is not bad. Ammo is not that hard to find, and ammo cost is irrelevant, so long as you're not shooting up boxes of it at tin cans all day.

Post a Reply

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Better look at the price and availability of ammo. LOL!

Why are you shooting Elk loads on Mississippi deer? Any 130 or 140 grain soft points will do just fine, in fact 130's out of a 270 work fantastic on Caribou.

Why not get another 270 and both of you can shoot the same ammo.

I'll take the 7mm Rem Mag over the 270 WSM any day!

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from dukkillr wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

The 270 WSM is a great round with a very flat trajectory. The only downsides are that the ammunition is more expensive and if you reload it's a little more tricky than the 270 Win, but other than it's a pretty good load.

from alabamaoutlaw wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I also have a cousin that shoots a 270wsm that has confirmed kills at over 400+ yards in a CRP open field Ammo is not really a problem because he only shoots it during deer season a box of shells carries over into the following year.One flat shooting demon.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I have seen one of the hunters in our group make some impressive shots on elk with his .270 WSM A-Bolt. I am not a .277 bore fan as I have posted before, so give me the additional 0.007" and make mine a 7 mm/.284 magnum. I can say nothing but good about the .270 WSM!

from cas0905 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

my cousin shoots a 270wsm and i shoot a 270 i can find bullets he cannot other than he is completely satisfied with his gun. I love mine so we are both happy either way you should be good

from CJ wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

The .270 WSM is a good deer caliber. Get the 7mm mag for versatility.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

Clay's right. The .270 worked for you for 20 years. Why not get another? I'll steer clear of Short Mags myself. Good luck in your choice.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

My purchace of a 270 WSM has thrown me into the world of reloading. Had I not bought the WSM and found the high price of the ammo and the fact that the ammo is very hard to find, I would of never jumped into reloading. I can easily shoot 110 gr v-max at 3400 fps makiing my 270 WSM also my varmint rifle. Bottom line is the 270 WSM is a great rifle, it is flat shooting and versatile. The only negative is price and difficulty finding the ammo.

from spark30 wrote 4 years 9 weeks ago

I thought about getting another 270, but I kind of feel like getting something different. I also have a 30/06, so I'd like to get a magnum caliber, but I don't want a long gun. I am getting the Remington 700 CDL SF. This gun in 7 MAG has a 26" barrel, and a total length of 46 1/2". This gun in 270 WSM has a 24" barrel, and a total length of 43 1/2", so my thinking is that I'd have a magnum rifle that is still handy and not real long.

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I regret the day that I got rid of my 270WSM. I traded it because I thought I didn't need it, and everyone knows that at one time everyone has traded a gun for another gun that you just had to have. The 270WSM was a flat shooter and with 130 grain Nosler Balistic tips was a great whitetail rifle. I have hunted in Alabama and used my 300WSM before I got the 270 WSM. A lot of people talk about the expense of ammo but I see very little difference in the cost of the WSM rounds over standard rounds. I may have to have another 270 WSM some day. All of the high power rifles Ii own are Tikka T3 Lites. I have 5 of them. That is what the 270 WSM was and on a good day for me 5 shot cloverleaf groups were the norm. Great Shooter.

from PAShooter wrote 4 years 7 weeks ago

I recently sighted in a 270 WSM in a Savage for a friend who has some vision problems.(eyes blur after prolonged focus) It shot 5 shots in one jaged hole @100 yds. Seems to be a fine gun. You need to be a hand loader for this caliber, I dont't know how long it will be around with manufacturers.

from shane wrote 4 years 6 weeks ago

Occasionally out to 300 yards? If 300 is your max, there is no reason for the added velocity, not to mention expense, of the WSM. Get another .270. If you want something new try a .308.

from Michael Miller wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

i do not own a 270 wsm ,but i reload every thing i shoot. My manuals tell me that i can shoot a 150 grain bullet as fast as i can shoot 130 grains.this means that i do not need to change my sites from a 130 grain.i have enough energy to shoot elk at 300yds. conservatly and change bullets if need be. 3000 fps is a good volecity for deer and elk from 50 yrds.to 500.if you get the right scope to compansate the drop, as in all calibers do. my choice would be a browning bar.this will be a sweet gun for all shooting.

from Bufalo wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

I have a beautiful Sako deluxe 7m RM, and a Sako SS in 270 WSM, the 270 short is my primary rifle for everything including varmit, the short action with 24 inch barrel gives me a very balance rifle to shoot and carry all day long, the 7rm I call it the lightning of death, everything I've shot has been killed instantly or almos instantly, but I will keep it if some day if I need heavier bullets for some furry creature, I'll recommend the 270 WSM for the perfect all around rifle...

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Regardless of the rifle model most have had some issues with the WSM class of cartridges. Most have a failure to eject but I have seen one the wouldnt group minute of barn door.Youtude has a good bit of video evidence to this fact.its just too hit or miss for me to risk my hard earned money on at this poi

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

My .270 WSM was a Tikka T3 Lite and I never had a problem with ejection. My buddy has a Winchester and he has never had that problem. I had a Remington 700SPS .300WSM, a Tikka T3 Lite .300WSM, and now a Sako A7 300WSM and I have never had any ejection problems with any of the rifles. If I was buying a new rifle today it would probably be a Sako A7 .270 WSM. All of them would shoot 3 shot cutter groups at 100 yards.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Nice cartridge. I have always been a .270 fan and I am getting to like this cartridge even better. Seems to be more accurate, less recoil and more speed. A pretty deadly round. My sister-in-law shoots one and smacks her deer dead every year. She hates the recoil so I got her shooting 100g and 120g bullets. Life is good for her now. You can't shoot 100s in the 7mm WAM. I really don't understand why but most people think that bullet is too small for deer. The deer sure don't think so though. Both of those bullets flatten deer as long as you use a good hunting bullet. They are certainly harder to find in the store than a .270 Win but then I have only bought one box of factory ammo in my life and don't worry about that.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

While I have seen good results from the .270 WSM with 140 and 150 grain bullets, I can't say about the lighter ones. Why would you want to shoot a 100 gr bullet in a .270 anything? I reserve my little 100 grain shooting to the .257 Roberts @ 3,100 fps. 100 gr bullets in .277 have a poor SD and even poorer BC. Just can't see it....

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Copied and pasted from Chuck Hawkes -

There is a very good selection of bullets in .270 caliber, ranging from about 90-180 grains. Like any .270 Magnum, the WSM version has too much powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets. And the short case of the WSM calibers works against the heaviest (long) bullets. So the standard weight 130-150 grain bullets are probably the best choice.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

WAM, the only reason to shoot light for caliber bullets in the .270 WSM is to get very low recoil. My sister-in-law is pretty slight of frame and she really hated shooting the 130s and 140s to practice for deer hunting. As you know, when a nice buck is in the cross hairs, you don't feel the recoil but she sure felt it in practice. If you use a good bullet, the 100g is plenty bad medicine for deer and the 120s are really a good all around bullet... of course she is doing only longer range shooting across open fields. The recoil is mild now and the extra speed just makes it easier to hit them.

from Catdaddy1977 wrote 1 year 5 weeks ago

my name is larry wayne strong i live in kentucky i own a 270 wsm the gun is very impressive gun i have mad shots at over 400 yards no deer has ever walk away from this gun or elk or bear i soot this gun all the time best long rang gun there is no kick you know speed kills but you cant tell people that the 270 wsm will blow a nasty hole in what ever you shoot i will lay down on the binch with any body bring on the other guns boys you cant do anything with the 270 wsm i know my buddys has tried to many times so if you are looking for a good deer gun or elk or bear this gun will do it all

from Buffaloguyaz wrote 26 weeks 3 days ago

Just took a smaller Bison in Idaho with a .270 WSM Thompson and Barnes Vortex 140 copper bullet. The .270 WSM dropped it right there at 150 yards. My guide re-affirmed what all real hunters know- the shot location is more important than the gun. He mentioned how a lady hunter used a .338 Lapua earlier this year and hit a Bison in the hump and didn't even phase it! The .270 WSM recoil is not bad. Ammo is not that hard to find, and ammo cost is irrelevant, so long as you're not shooting up boxes of it at tin cans all day.

Post a Reply