- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 serrano or other hot green chile (or to taste), stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground chile powder (not seasoned chili powder)
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil to brush on patties
- 6 large brioche buns, split and toasted
- 2 large avocados, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup chopped, seeded, and peeled tomato
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp. serrano chile minced, seeded
Make the guacamole: Combine the avocado with the lime juice, tomato, onion, cilantro, and chile. Season with salt.
Combine the turkey with the egg using your hands to blend. Add the chile, bell pepper, shallots, garlic, chile powder, and cumin. Again, using your hands, mix well to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat and oil the grill or preheat a nonstick stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat.
Form the ground-meat mixture into 6 equal mounds (so they cook evenly), and shape each into patties. Using a pastry brush, generously coat the outside of each with oil.
Place the burgers on the grill and grill for 6 minutes. Turn and grill for another 5 minutes for well done. Place a burger on each bun, top with guacamole, and serve.