- Trotline Cord: You need 2 feet of 200-pound-test for a leader, and 6 to 10 feet for tying the rig to a limb.
- Heavy Barrel Swivel: Join the lines with a swivel to keep thrashing cats from twisting the hook loose.
- Egg Sinker: Two ounces of lead above the swivel keeps your bait in the strike zone.
- Trailer Reflector: Trailer reflectors threaded onto the line provide a convenient place for writing your legally required information, and they also allow you to check your lines at night from a distance with a Q-Beam. When you see that flashing light, don't fret—it's a catfish, not a cop.
- Heavy Hook: Use a 6/0 Kahle hook (or larger if you're expecting mammoth flatheads), tip it with a lively baitfish, and tie it to an overhanging green limb larger than your thumb but smaller than your wrist.