A List of Firearms Superlatives
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more › 1....
We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more ›
1. THE MOST REVOLUTIONARY MODERN RIFLE: The Remington Nylon Model 66 (1959). The Model 66 was an autoloader whose stock was made from a plastic called Zytel. It was like nothing that had come before but, unlike most radically different guns, which have terrible flaws, this one was absolutely terrific.
2. FINEST HANDGUN: The Korth. There is a double-action Korth revolver and a double-action auto, both made to a standard that is unattainable by all but the insane or by Germans; in this case, the latter. The guns cost so much that prices are not listed. If you buy one, will you be able to lord it over everyone else? Of Korth.
3. FINEST AMERICAN RIFLE: The Winchester Model 86. This big lever-action was chambered for black-powder cartridges and is, as a piece of machinery, the best thing the United States ever sent out a factory door. Its complex mechanism is built with the precision of a watch.
4. COUPLE THAT HAS DONE THE MOST FOR THE SHOOTING INDUSTRY’S BOTTOM LINE: Bubba and Hillary. Clintonphobia has sold more guns, ammo, primers, high-capacity magazines, and AR-15s than you can shake a balance sheet at.
5. GREATEST SPOKESMAN FOR GUN OWNERS’ RIGHTS: The Late Harlon Carter. With all respect to Charlton Heston, no one ever made jokes about Harlon. He was the founder of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action and served as its Executive Director for its first two years. Carter was an orator, and a force. I once saw him send a whole roomful of anti-gun reporters slinking from a press conference like whipped dogs.
6. SINGLE BEST CARTRIDGE FOR HUNTING ALL NORTH AMERICAN GAME: The .338 Winchester Magnum. Loads of power, and finesse when you need it.
7. THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY FOR A BIG-GAME HUNTER: Patience.
8. THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT QUALITY FOR A GOOD SHOT: Self-control.