Slip Bobbers Work Great for Fly Fishing

FlyTalk

July 18, 2013

Slip Bobbers Work Great for Fly Fishing

By Tim Romano

The last couple summers I've been spending a day or two with friend and superb high altitude lake guide John Perizzolo, chasing big trout on the lakes here in Colorado, our home state, with fly rods. John guides for Breckenridge Outfitters and manufactures JP's Nymping Mud as a side business. He is especially adept at figuring out the picky trout that reside in our high altitude impoundments.

Occasionally we'll resort to 25-foot leaders with three-fly rigs. In these instances a slip bobber is invaluable for landing fish and an almost must have. In this video John demonstrates how and why a slip bobber is so effective on a fly rod in certain situations like this.

from Koldkut wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

I thought this was flytalk, I must be mistaken with all this nonsense of bobbers and such.......lol. That sir, is a great tip for any fisherman, period! I can put that to work on my ice rigs, my fly rigs, and my spinning and baitwhacking rigs.

from Koldkut wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Tim, next time you're in the boat with Bernie, ask him about the ice fishing bobber trick he uses for kids, similar, but only works on ice.

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago

Slip bobbers have been around for decades now. You can make your own. I have hundreds of "cheaters" around...they are like the "Corkies". Steelheaders use them to slide down their leader drift fishing for steelhead. Either one, but the Cheaters are somewhat tapered, and a little bit better to fly cast with. Corkies use to be made of cork, but now are made of a high density foam as well as the Cheaters. A medium sized one floats a considerable amount of wt. Now cut up about 1" pieces of the plastic spray tube that fits in the canisters like WD-40, ream out the hole in your cheater so the tube can fit snug, and you have it.

from Retired Chief wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah, that's fly fishing.

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago

Chief...It does have it's place,and isn't just a strike indicator. Having said that I don't often use them, BUT, I sure could. Have weed growth in a lake, for example, gwow up near the surface, and you can fish a chironomid, or woolly bugger, or any wet fly for that matter just off the tops of the weeds, moving the fly along controlling depth with the indicator. It keeps the fly in the zone as much as telegraphing a strike. You can be stripping, pausing, and casting just like like it wasn't there. Anglers who use the hopper/dropper method are often times just using their foam hopper for example as a strike indictor.

from tmneal wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

I recently tried this method for the first time, I was real happy with the results and am now teaching my little girls how to use this method and they are having fun with it.

from Koldkut wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from Koldkut wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago

from Retired Chief wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago

Yeah, that's fly fishing.

from Dangle wrote 38 weeks 2 days ago