What Rifle Would You Bring Back To Life?

The Gun Nuts

May 25, 2011

What Rifle Would You Bring Back To Life?

By David E. Petzal

To celebrate its 50th Anniversary, Cabela’s is offering its public a series of commemorative guns that are re-creations of firearms that were built in 1961. This presently includes a Browning, an S&W, a couple of Rugers, and Winchesters. Rich Robbins, who works on this project for Cabela’s in collaboration with Winchester, sent me the following, which I found so interesting I run it here:

Model 94 (pictured above): For the Model 94 we wanted something really different, and the big thing on this gun is the button magazine, which I don’t believe they’ve used since the early 1950s. It also has an octagon barrel with double gold bands at the muzzle, Grade 4 walnut, a crescent buttplate, and is chambered in .38/55.

Model 70: To make these as authentic as possible we researched on the Internet, purchased instruction manuals and hang tags from the period, and even purchased an authentic 1961 Super Grade African in the original box.

The Model 70 African comes in .458 Winchester. It has a standard-grade Monte Carlo stock, checkering that wraps over the pistol grip, flip up rear sight, all-matte-finished metal, and Super Grade swivels.

The Model 70 Deluxe is in .300 Win. Mag., stocked with Grade 3 walnut, with the original barrel taper, flip-down sights, and the classic sight saddle. The one thing we did change was the barrel bedding. These are free-floating; the originals had a screw that ran through the fore-end into the underside of the barrel. (Thank you. DP)

The Model 70 Featherweight Super Grade is a little heavier than we wanted. It has Grade 4 or Grade 5 walnut, very bright blue finish, the original barrel contour, but steel bottom metal in place of the original alloy, which flaked badly.

All the metal work is done at the FN plant in South Carolina. The barrels are all target-crowned, and everything we’ve tried has shot extremely well. Two .300 Win Mags have shot close to ½” groups with factory ammo.

We think we’ve nailed it, and this is just the beginning of a long-term Cabela’s Classic Guns series. —Rich Robbins

To which I can only add, which rifles would you nominate to be brought back to life?

from huntslow wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

How about a Savage 99?

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

1873 Winchester.

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Most of the "old" models are being made by one or another firm. So I will pick two that I definitely no that no one is making new.

The Winchester Model 71. My dad had one. It was a heck of a lever gun with a really good wood, fit, and finish, and those blunt .348s fed very very well.

The other would be a Model 99 Savage take-down fancy grade in .308Winch.

from MJC wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Winchester Model 71. With yesterday's fit and finish and today's accuracy potential it would be a heck of a gun.

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I second the Savage 99. Though, I doubt they could get them built. I don't know if Savage even has tooling to make them anymore.

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I too would like to see the Savage 99...but not made by Savage. I would like to see one made by Doug Turnbull in 300 Savage.

I would NOT like to see the sticker price though.

from Brian Robinson wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

remington model 8

from Brian Robinson wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

i second the winchester model 71

from Harold wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

The Winchester Mod. 71 is a good pick and also the 99T Savage in 250/3000. The Savage 99 should also have the old safety, rotory magazine with cartridge counter and tang peep! There you go.

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

A fancy matched pair of Model 61's, one in LR with the other a magnum.

from Quiet Loner wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

The Winchester .22 that looks like a Model 12 shotgun. Is that the 61? The Model 92 in .45 Colt without the new safety. Copies are made by other companies but a "real" Winchester would be great.

from Judd McCullum wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 24. All of them.

from 007 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Is it just coincidence that most of the requests are for a Winchester of some type or another?

from jbird wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'd love to see the prices on those.
I'd like to see a WWII era BAR. I know knock-offs are still made, but I'd like to see Browning make it again, in the USA. Actually, I'd like to see Browning make ANYTHING in the USA.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

007, you're right. I think it's because Winchester is the one that made such beautiful and innovative wonders in the past, and has suffered the most from the economic age.

from vehicle wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 340 series like the 30-30 but the rest are pretty good too.

from vehicle wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 340 series like the 30-30 but the rest are pretty good too.

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Does this also mean we get to pay 1960's prices?

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Krag Jørgensen in 6,5x55 mauser grade ammo specs.. just cos i dont think it can be done anymore.. such a slick boltthrow just doesnt exist anymore in any gun and anyone who has ever handles one knows exactly what im talking about.. not that i dont see the value of remaking alot of the old loved classics from winchester and savage. but in comparison even well made and polished to perfection they still seem as agricultural compared to a krag as a harley shovelhead compared to the racingmodded superbikes from japan.. nuff said!!

from jim in nc wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

How about the Remington 141 Gamemaster pump, in .35 Remington? The good news: Mine (granddaddy's, actually) shoots minute of angle at 100 yards with iron sights. Smooth action? I shot 3 deer in less than 3 seconds once (my friend counted--fortunately he brought his stopwatch along that day). The bad news: since I've got one already, I wouldn't buy another.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

The Winchester DeLuxe Model 64 Deer Rifle with pistol grip and 24" barrel.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Huntslow,

I read some where that it would cost Savage over $1000 per unit to make a rotary magazine Model 99 now days. But... I agree with you!

All these guns carry a pretty lofty price tag.

from MReeder wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I've always had a soft spot in my hot for the old British SMLE, as did Elmer Keith. Never had one, but a good friend did and it was a blast. Of course, the old Pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 would serve a better purpose.

Unless we watch out, though, it may not matter. Don't mean to change the subject, but this little item just crossed the wire. What do you say we make sure it gets above the radar and out in the bright sunshine? Just pass it along and suggest others do the same...

Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/guns/2011/05/25/obama-were-working-gun-control...

On March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, Jim Brady, who sustained a debilitating head wound in the attack, and his wife, Sarah, came to Capitol Hill to push for a ban on the controversial "large magazines." Brady, for whom the law requiring background checks on handgun purchasers is named, then met with White House press secretary Jay Carney. During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, "to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda," she said.

"I just want you to know that we are working on it," Brady recalled the president telling them. "We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."

from MReeder wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Oops! Make that soft spot in my "heart" for the old Brit SMLE. Don't even want to think about what the other would mean...

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

How about the Manlicher Schoenour ( I know, spelling is way off! )

from PbHead wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Great idea. Since we are mostly stuck on Winchester, I would like to see any 22 that a boy could shoot. The 9422, pump guns, and some of the Model 52 variations come to mind. I don't see how a firearms company can survive with a good 22 to attract young shooters.

JM, I'll second your Savage 24 guns for the same reasons.

from SD Bob wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

My first thought after reading the title was the Savage 99, so was the first responder and many thereafter. I still feel that way but I like many of the other ideas posted too like the model 71 Winchester.

from Michigan Gunner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I would vote for the Remington Nylon 66. It is still one of the best .22 autos. I don't know why they quit.

MG

from idduckhntr wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

M71 and Rem 788.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Agree with the Savage 99.
I liked the Remington 760 in 30-06, had one that I used in W.Va. that belonged to an uncle many,many years ago,before I bought my first rifle,also from an uncle-a model 94 30-30.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Winchester 1866 in .405, and thanks to the lever evolution ammo of today such a concept could live like a house a fire!
Winchester 21, 12Ga, S/S...ENGRAVED GOLD Scrollwork of course!

from bj264 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

savage 99

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Remington Nylon 66 - possibly the toughest, most reliable gun Remington ever made, regardless of method of operation. The ultimate doomsday gun.

Remington Model 725 - the most graceful of Remington's cylindrical bolts

Springfield M1903 in magnum and standard lengths, updated for scope mounting

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage 99 in .250-3000 or .284 Winchester

from mike55 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Would like to see a Browning .22 pump made back in the 60's. Don't know what model number it was, had the slender receiver of their .22 Auto. Cute little rifle. My brother had one and traded it in on a Savage 110 back around 1970, kicked himself ever since!! If I remember correctly from what he said they stopped production on it shortly after that, weren't many around. Another gun he wishes he had back was a Savage 99 in .250-3000. Another pretty rifle. I don't know about that brother of mine??

The two guns I would like to see Remington reintroduce -

1) To ditto Mich. above, a SS Nylon 66, cool look'in rifle with great utility. Maybe they could redo the Remington ad where a sharpshooter shot over 100,000 wood blocks tossed up in front of him, in I believe a 24 hr. period, and only missed a dozen or so with a Nylon 66!!! Anybody remember that ad?

2) The 5MM Rem Rimfire Mag. with a .20 cal. polymer tipped varmint bullet of about 30 grs. or so. The original load was a 38 gr. hollow point @ 2100 fps. With the lighter bullet there would be more room for extra powder coupled with the newer high energy powders, if they could get that bullet up to 2500-2600 fps. it would be an awesome load. Give the .17 HMR a real run for it's money. That original 38 gr. hollow point was really explosive. Had one when I was a kid back in the early 70's. Shot a blackbird straight up in a tall tree, the only thing that came down were the wings !!

from mike55 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

After submitting and rereading my post above, a thought came to my mind. If Remington would have named their 5MM Rim. Mag the .204 Rem Rimfire Mag. or something, maybe it would still be around? Seeing as how the millimeter designated calibers never caught on on this side of the pond, excepting the 7MM of course!! What really killed it, all kidding aside, was the high cost of the ammo. Hunters and shooters back then weren't willing to pay a premium over the cost of the .22 Mag, which it significantly out performed down range. With the success of the .17 HMR, these days it's just opposite. Shooters are willing to pay extra for a premium bullet at high velocity put of a rimfire magnum.

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I'm with ingebrigtsen. I don't know anything about 6.5X55 but if I could turn back history I would never sell my Krag again... Agreed the 30-40 may have been a little anemic butthis gun was all original and 90%. If all crank guns were that smooth, I might be able to tolerate them!

from featherfisher wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I would love the Remington Model 788 to return to production with modern manufacturing techniques and a synthetic stock.(read synthetic not plastic) I hated the ugly stock so bad I sold my 308 in this rifle in the mid 80s with intent to get a lighter carbine never happened - constant moves in the military and then I got into the big boomer phase- age had taken its toll on the shoulder and soon the return to mid calibers - the accuracy was phenomenal and a good trigger pull and a detachable mag to boot- If not to be I would settle on the original Model 7 in the 18 1/2 barrel and Schnabel fore end ( love the Euro styling ) in a 7 mm-08 I am enjoying this dream so don't wake me up.

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Browning Safari grade (FN Mauser)bolt action rifle in .270 Winchester and 300 H&H. Winchester model 62 .22 long rifle. Winchester model 52. Remington model 31 trap model shotgun. This ain't too much to ask for is it, Santa?

from nc30-06 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I am in agreement with the posts recommending the Remington Nylon 66. That is one fine rifle, and they go for a premium today.

from WillardJr wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I'd love to see a Pre-64 spec Winchester Model 88, re-tooled with modern techniques. Synthetic stock and GOOD trigger.

+1 on the Savage Model 24s, too!

from Lee Woiteshek wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Bren 10. Although DP doesn't write much about handguns, and the Bren 10's current verison is in limbo with Viltor. I'd like to have one, just because.

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Rifles have been pretty much covered above so my choice would be for the Colt Woodsman .22 pistol.

from white bison wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I like the idea of a rotary magazine Savage 99 "G" take
down.
Even more interesting would be a copy of the Vintage
Newton Rifle 1st model...still more modern than most current rifles & is a hand take down rifle. Strong action
with multiple locking lugs that Weatherby is said to have
gotten the idea for their Mark V action. And..chamber it in either .256 Newton or .30 Newton!
Best Regards, Tom

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

After my Vanguard comes my next will be a Winchester Mdl 70 in something suitable for deer.

from miahjd wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Since my first choice of Winchester '94 is already one of the ones Cabela's chose, I would add the Winchester '71.

from tom warner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I certainly agree with the Win. 71 and Savage 99 in .308 choices. They would be mine also. Awhile ago I gave away a nice Win. 71 to a Canadian buddy because I realized that at my age I would be unlikely to ever use it again. I wanted someone who appreciated it to have it. Another choice would be a Win. 63 semi-auto. I have two, an original and one of the recreations of awhile ago. I am a .22 nut and like this more than any other semi-auto ever made, with he possible exception of the little Browning .22 auto. Yes, the old Winchester line was hard to beat. I would also like to see the now discontinued Browning Auto-5 brought back. I am unimpressed by their new Maxus.

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

After seeing Del's post, I'd say the Colt Python. Any of the discontinued Colt wheel guns actually...

from blueridge wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I love this kind of open-ended question, which gets true gun nuts thinking. My own eclectic choices are not for others, but I would like to see [ok, I threw in a few extra ideas for the old guns]:

Remington 721 in several calibers [& better wood]
Remington 788 in several calibers [ditto]
Winchester 71 in 30-30 and .308 [w/suitable Hornady tips], with high grade walnut
Obendorf Mauser in 7mmMagnum, Dbl-set triggers
Winchester 62
Browning Pocket Pistol in .380 and could we get an updated version in a larger caliber, but keep the sleek lines of the original?
Colt Python [again, the standard .357 but how about a larger caliber, like .45 Colt]
Colt Python, but in a small frame, for .22LR
Small Frame S&W .22 caliber revolver [I forget the Model]
Parker, V grade 20 gauge [also .410]
--and finally, the simple but elegant Mannlicher Schoenauer Carbine, with dbl-set triggers, and pretty wood.

Thanks again for this trip! And, yes, I put my money where my mouth is. Right after I wipe away the drool.

blue

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I am surprised how many nostalgic old fools, such as myself, get warm fuzzies over a really nice M/71 Win and the M99 Savage. Savage made a plain Jane M/99A back in the 70's, I like to see that one again.

from wgiles wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I would love to have a lever rifle in .38-55, but I would only be able to look at the commemorative rifle, not shoot it.

from Noelie84 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I'd like to see something chambered for .32 Special back on the market, if for nothing else the purely selfish reason that it's getting really hard to find shells for mine. Of course, since it turned 105 this year and is a rare take-down model, I don't like shooting it a lot anyway. But I love the cartridge and the Winchester 94 lever action setup that goes with it, and think it'd be really cool if they started making new ones that were of pre-64 quality again.

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Blue Ridge:

On the Model 71, is there something about the action that you like better than the '94 already chambered for 30-30?

The Colt Diamondback was chambered for .22 -- love that gun!

from kjlost02 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage Model 24 Over/Under .22 L.R./410 Gauge.

from ckeller wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

M1903 Springfield with a 30-06 cartridge. I will take a bolt over semi for long range.

from blueridge wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey, Carney,

Yes, I loved the half magazine, sleek look of the 71. The one that I had, briefly, had spectacular wood on it, and it raised eyebrows like a Blonde on your arm at dinner.

The Diamondback is correct, of course---in 22, and what a nice piece. I never had a chance at one, frankly. If I had, it would never, ever have left my battery. I did pick up a Police Positive, and it is still a slick .38---but so is an old Model 10 heavy barrel. I am blessed with a K-22, but it is a six inch rig, and a little massive for a comfortable .22 cal. belt gun.

What rifle would you bring back?

blue

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

In addition to the Savage 99 I would add the Winchester Model 81.

from Michael Sutherin wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Remington 788

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Winchester Model 71's were never made in any caliber other than .348 Winchester. There were several variations of the model, but only one caliber.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage Model 99 in a wide variety of calibers, including classics such as the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, 7x57 Mauser and .284 Win.

Winchester Model 88 in a wide variety of calibers (including the above-listed classics), and with a great trigger.

Remington 721 (and, if I remember correctly, thinking back nearly forty years, there was also a Remington 722) in a wide variety of calibers (including the above-listed classics).

If I had to pick just one to bring back to life, it would be the Savage Model 99. Never had one. Always wanted one. Still do.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

WWAM, My fellow Alabamian, several variations of the M/71?
Deluxe and Standard, rifle and carbine, your beginning to sound like me, 4 choices are a lot-LOL

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

My stinkin brother in law bought a freakin NICE M/88 win in .243; gave $200 for it maybe 9 months ago, pre 64, cut checkering, good wood and blue. I would like to have that one, woulda been worth stealin if it was a .308-LOL

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Ya'll know why remington killed the 788? See 'Answers'

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The $69 SKS with bayonet attachment. Oh and those 1,200 round cases of 7.62X39 for $120....... you could shoot until your finger got tired.

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I thought the Winchester Model 43 bolt action in .218 Bee was a keeper, and the Sako L461 Vixen in .222 was a gem.

from shane wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The 71 is back in original form from Winchester.

Pedersoli also makes an 1886 in 71 form, but chambered in .45-70. .348 was a great cartridge, but it's not really around much now.

Of course I would like to see the 99 come back with the cartridge counter, even though I have one.

I'd also like to see the 1903 Winchester but in .22 LR and not .22 Automatic.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Since huntslow has taken my thunder, if I was going to bring back a cartridge with today’s metallurgy, it would be the 264 Win Mag

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Edward J Palumbo

Nice to see you back on the blog, sir.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

RES1956

I gave up smoking because there were too many choices. Walk into a store and ask for a pack of Marlboro's and a clerk would ask, "Marlboro Red, Marlboro 100, Marlboro Light, Marlboro Light 100, Marlboro menthol, ad nauseum".
Geez, Louise!

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Perhaps a Colt-Sauer in .270 or .25-'06 for those of us who were fortunate enough to own one or two back in the day but foolish enough to trade them off somewhere along the way. Even the field grade versions were elegant and usually good shooters with a very slick action.

from Phil VanHagen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Just 'cause I grew up in the era of left coast customs, the Winslow rifles.

For a handgun, old toggle-top. The Luger

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey Del, I think the 22 woodsman has been remade at least in 2007.

Lots of old remakes, I want to shoot a pmr30 and I wanna see a chrome model.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Win Mod 63 .22 LR
Win Mod 54
Colt .32 Lightening
Sharps Big .50
Win Mod 12 (not a rifle, but what a gun!)
Remington Targetmaster .22 S,L,LR single shot bolt
just to name a few!

Bubba

from jws wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

SAVAGE 99

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

T/C Hawken rifle in .54-cal and in flintlock.

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 7x57mm, 257 Roberts, and 6.5x55mm. Get rid of that detact magazine *thing*, too.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I mean't to say Winchester Model 88.

from lea001a wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I'd love to have a new Winchester Model 52 C or D Bull barrel with the imporoved micro motion trigger. It was extremely accurate back in the day!

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Here's a couple:

Savage 99
Remington Model Seven in Stainless Steel
Remington 700 Titanium (First Model)

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

16 gauge remington 1100 and 870 wingmaster or express and cheap UNITED STATES surplus rifles like the M-1 and '03 spring field . my grandpa rembers when the gunshop he went to sold hundereds of trapdoor springfield rifles cheap cause they were cutting em down to make pistols out of them.

from dasmith wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

How about a Winchester Lever action shotgun with the riot barrel. Not a rifle but, a classic. Since I already did a not a rifle, how about the COP pistol .357 magnum with 4 barrels. Flat and powerful.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Here's another vote for the Savage 99. My Grandpa had one in .300 Savage; it was his "big game" rifle. Deer he shot with his .38-55. With a little straighter stock for scope use the 99'd still be the best hunting rifle you could buy.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Another for the Savage 99.

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I had a Rem 788 in .308 with the 18 1/2" barrel. That gun was fussy about what ammo it liked but, when you finally got a good load worked up, it shot clover-leafs at 200 yards. A Fluke? Probably, but I want another one.

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Joel Harrison wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Automatic Rifle

from blackelk wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Oh boy. A Remington Mod.25R with a 18" barrel in 25-20 and tapped for a scope. What a beautiful little carbine they are and how they shoot.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Considering lever rifles. i wonder why marlin havent figured out it could make a 1894 in 454casull/45 LC with 18,5 inch barrel and sell a whole heap of em.. in good tradition with theire pistolcartridged leverguns.. modern ghostring sights and a low picatinny rail on the top of the barrel for scout type scopemounting, and just enough barrel ahead of the sights to be able to mount a silencer too.. just for good measure.. and have the option of a large loop lever on it, all in stainless steel and laminate wood.. thats a classic mechanism revisited by modern technology id buy in a heartbeat.. would shoot anything from pure steel slugs to magnified loads with hornadys new powder in pistol version in one rifle.. ;):):)

from MLH wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Seems that Cabela's has brought these back more as limited collector's editions.

As for the M71, one of my favorites, Winchester is offering it again - standard version, without the receiver-mounted sight or other "Deluxe" features. I am considering it since I still have lots of brass left and it is at a non-collector's price. But I would really love to see Winchester bring out a .450 Alaskan variation done right.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

i'd love to see the savage 99 in that collection. mine is one of the best i own.

from Steve Bodio wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage 99 .250- 3000, maybe takedown?

Yeah, probably expensive, but somebody wanted a Parker .410-- that would probably be around $8000 to the Savage's-- I'm guessing-- $1500.

from pearbear wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

the 284 winchester in a long action model 70 enough lenght to seat bullets out front enough to use the cases potential ,just like my custom ones

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

MLH, do you have a link for the new M/71 Winchester is supposed to be offering? I would sure like more info.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Winchester Repeating Arms does catalog the M/71 for 2011-How cool is that! Only downside is that the only offering is the Standard Rifle. The original Deluxe had a fore end cap that would accommodate sling swivels, I would like to see this feature incorporated into this reproduction. It is drilled and tapped for Redfield peep sights which is nice because my aged eyes make conventional iron sights uselss.

from duckcreekdick wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Then it is agreed! Savage needs to make 99's and Winchester must make affordable 71's. We're talking about shooting rifles here. Not the fancy wood, limited edition, high-end, collector rifles.
I like the aforementioned Newton idea too. Glad to see that I'm not alone in liking old vintage rifles.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I don't bellieve it exactly counts as a rifle, but the Savage 24c Camper's Companion would be nice.

No offense to anyone reading this, but I'd step right over a pile of Anschutzes, Winchester Model 52 Sporters, etc. for a straight stocked Marlin 39 Mountie with about an 18" barrel (round would be fine, although if Marlin made it octagon, there would be no hard feelings). The present Model 39A has a pistol grip and a 24" barrel, about 8" of which aren't needed. Come on Cabelas (or Marlin), give us a rifle like the one Annie Oakley or Ad Topperwein shot.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Sweet Sixteen and their pump .22 magnum.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Sweet Sixteen and their pump .22 magnum.

from PigHunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Ruger .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine.

from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

winchester model 71

from Cbass wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Some very worthy candidates have been brought up, and I can't cast stones at any.

For myself, I'd bring back a bullet. The Fail Safe, once loaded by Winchester from Combined Technology (Nosler & Winchester,) is no longer available. Anywhere. It was devastating on game, and I never recovered one. I wish I'd saved more of them strictly for game, but I just can't resist testing a good bullet's extended accuracy potential.

A couple years back, I contacted Nosler regarding any possible comeback of the Fail Safe, but they responded only that they were all gone. Such is life.

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

one of those Heckler & Koch roller-locked blowback semi-autos in .308 Win. You won't have to worry about reliability, and if you miss the deer with the shot, you might be able to nail it with the flying brass LOL.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

second that.. g3 is an awesome gun..;)

from Raymond Hibberd wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Winchester 88 rifle in .284 win.

from bertram wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

Looked thru suggestions quickly, didn't see anything on modle 12, where has ya'all been, ON THE MOON!!!

from Nik35 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I would bring back the 1903 Springfield in a plain monte Carlo Stock.

from tacrancher wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Winchester model 71 with Hornady .348 Winchester LeverEvolution amunition.

from medievalgeek wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Mauser Kar98K. It just looks too cool and has to good of a track record to be relegated to being remembered through cheap Russian-capture rebuilds or insanely valuable matching-serials guns

from Michael Edwards wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

How about a review and shot test on Henry Repeating Arms Rifles. I really like the workmanship that goes into these products. I curently own 5 Henry's from a 45 long colt down to a super tak driving 22 carbine. The little carbine is one of the best shooting peices I know of, most of the others I have not been able to get out with but I am confident they will be performers also. These made in America completely are if nothing else BEAUTIFUL display pieces. I have never had any trouble with any of their rifles. They have the best lever action I have ever felt, smooth and fuctional. I would like to here more reviews on them as I am an avid Gun Nut. Henry load on Sunday and shoot all week, Made in America.

from blue ridge wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

One rifle that should HAVE NEVER BEEN BUILT in the first place was the Ithica Model 49 OMG ugly and cheap.

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Read an article about a new rifle from Lyman chambered in .38/55. Beautiful single shot.

from huntslow wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

How about a Savage 99?

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

1873 Winchester.

from Tim Covington wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Judd McCullum wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 24. All of them.

from mike55 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The two guns I would like to see Remington reintroduce -

from Mike Diehl wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

The other would be a Model 99 Savage take-down fancy grade in .308Winch.

from MJC wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Brian Robinson wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

remington model 8

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

A fancy matched pair of Model 61's, one in LR with the other a magnum.

from 007 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Does this also mean we get to pay 1960's prices?

from jim in nc wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Huntslow,

All these guns carry a pretty lofty price tag.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

How about the Manlicher Schoenour ( I know, spelling is way off! )

from Michigan Gunner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Winchester 62
Colt Python, but in a small frame, for .22LR
Small Frame S&W .22 caliber revolver [I forget the Model]
Parker, V grade 20 gauge [also .410]

blue

from kjlost02 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage Model 24 Over/Under .22 L.R./410 Gauge.

from Cbass wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

second that.. g3 is an awesome gun..;)

from Amflyer wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I would NOT like to see the sticker price though.

from Harold wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

I'd love to see the prices on those.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

The Winchester DeLuxe Model 64 Deer Rifle with pistol grip and 24" barrel.

from MReeder wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Obama: We're Working on Gun Control 'Under the Radar'

from MReeder wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Winchester 21, 12Ga, S/S...ENGRAVED GOLD Scrollwork of course!

from bj264 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from tom warner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Noelie84 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Blue Ridge:

The Colt Diamondback was chambered for .22 -- love that gun!

from ckeller wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from blueridge wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey, Carney,

What rifle would you bring back?

blue

from T.W. Davidson wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Phil VanHagen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Just 'cause I grew up in the era of left coast customs, the Winslow rifles.

For a handgun, old toggle-top. The Luger

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

T/C Hawken rifle in .54-cal and in flintlock.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from duckcreekdick wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from O Garcia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Nik35 wrote 2 years 43 weeks ago

I would bring back the 1903 Springfield in a plain monte Carlo Stock.

from blue ridge wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Brian Robinson wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

i second the winchester model 71

from Quiet Loner wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

from vehicle wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 340 series like the 30-30 but the rest are pretty good too.

from vehicle wrote 2 years 47 weeks ago

Savage Model 340 series like the 30-30 but the rest are pretty good too.

from PbHead wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

JM, I'll second your Savage 24 guns for the same reasons.

from SD Bob wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Agree with the Savage 99.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage 99 in .250-3000 or .284 Winchester

from wingshooter54 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from WillardJr wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

+1 on the Savage Model 24s, too!

from Lee Woiteshek wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from miahjd wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from wgiles wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

In addition to the Savage 99 I would add the Winchester Model 81.

from Michael Sutherin wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Remington 788

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

WWAM, My fellow Alabamian, several variations of the M/71?

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Ya'll know why remington killed the 788? See 'Answers'

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The 71 is back in original form from Winchester.

I'd also like to see the 1903 Winchester but in .22 LR and not .22 Automatic.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Edward J Palumbo

Nice to see you back on the blog, sir.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

RES1956

Geez, Louise!

from ishawooa wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Hey Del, I think the 22 woodsman has been remade at least in 2007.

Lots of old remakes, I want to shoot a pmr30 and I wanna see a chrome model.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Win Mod 63 .22 LR
Win Mod 54
Colt .32 Lightening
Sharps Big .50
Win Mod 12 (not a rifle, but what a gun!)
Remington Targetmaster .22 S,L,LR single shot bolt
just to name a few!

Bubba

from jws wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

SAVAGE 99

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

I mean't to say Winchester Model 88.

from lea001a wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Hillbilly Hunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Here's a couple:

Savage 99
Remington Model Seven in Stainless Steel
Remington 700 Titanium (First Model)

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from dasmith wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Another for the Savage 99.

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from smokey0347 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Joel Harrison wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Automatic Rifle

from blackelk wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from Steve Bodio wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Savage 99 .250- 3000, maybe takedown?

from pearbear wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Sweet Sixteen and their pump .22 magnum.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

The Browning Sweet Sixteen and their pump .22 magnum.

from PigHunter wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

Ruger .44 Magnum semi-auto carbine.

from pudgexl29 wrote 2 years 46 weeks ago

winchester model 71

from Raymond Hibberd wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

Winchester 88 rifle in .284 win.

from bertram wrote 2 years 44 weeks ago

from tacrancher wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Winchester model 71 with Hornady .348 Winchester LeverEvolution amunition.

from medievalgeek wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago