David E. Petzal began at Field & Stream in 1972 as managing editor. In the ensuing years, he has held half a dozen different titles with the brand, and since 2006 has been strictly a writer, covering all manner of outdoor related subjects, but specializing in guns and hunting. He has pursued game all over North America, most of Africa, Europe, and New Zealand, and written about it extensively.
- Noted expert on firearms and big-game hunting
- U.S. Army light-weapons instructor
- NRA-Certified instructor in rifle, shotgun, handgun, and firearms safety
- Expert in the NRA Mid-Range Rifle Competition program
- Author or editor of five books
- Marquis Who’s Who in America, 1976-2012