Barrett M107A1: New .50 Caliber Long-Range Rifle

The Gun Nuts

January 15, 2014

Barrett M107A1: New .50 Caliber Long-Range Rifle

By The Editors

Everything about Barrett's new semiautomatic .50 caliber rifle is big. The rifle is fitted with the QDL suppressor (Quick Detach Large suppressor) and a stocky bipod. The price tag is big too. The gun retails $18,000.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 2 days ago

Purely military uses. Obviously for very unique situations. So bulky it would be useless in most tactical situations. Anyway, here it is on a hunting and fishing forum.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 2 days ago

I'm not sure I see the utility in an automatic long distance fifty cal sniper gun. No one is going to be rapid firing that thing. Making it auto makes it more prone to failure than say a bolt action. But I guess an auto wouldn't look nearly as mean. Or perhaps there is some recoil benefits to auto? Any help in that area would undoubtedly be beneficial!

It probably is heavy but I doubt it is heavier than an elk quarter (approx. 130 lbs) as claimed.

from The_UTP wrote 13 weeks 1 day ago

What's the hunting application here? Nothing against military weapons on a hunting site...some make very good hunting tools...but probably not this one.

from Tim Platt wrote 12 weeks 4 days ago

Actually this is a gun nut blog on a hunting/fishing/cooking/conservation/shooting site. I like it. It is an incredible piece of machinery and I wonder if the military will make much use of it. It will be interesting to see how reliable it is when it is full of sand.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 13 weeks 2 days ago