Great Gifts for Wild Chefs

The Wild Chef

November 30, 2011

Great Gifts for Wild Chefs

By David Draper

I hope most of you were smart enough to avoid the insanity that has become Black Friday, and instead did something productive the day after Thanksgiving, like go hunting or watch college football. I did a little of both, managing to get a couple of pheasants and rooting for my beloved Big Red in their end-of-season win over Iowa.

Truth is, I wouldn’t have gone shopping even if I’d had the store to myself—that’s how much I dread that part of the holiday season. Still, Christmas will be here before you know it, and there are gifts that need to be bought. So, to make things a bit easier on all of us, I’ve put together a quick list of great gift ideas any Wild Chef would be happy to see under the tree.

Grilling Accessories: Playing with fire is an essential part of being a Wild Chef, so here are a few cool tools that making cooking over coals easier.

FireWire Flexible Skewers

• Non-Stick Grill Wok

• A good set of tongs, like these from Grill Pro

• Fish Basket

• Wireless Barbecue Thermometer

Butchering: Hunters tend to come in two types—those who don’t mind paying to have someone else process their deer, and those who take pleasure in grinding through it themselves. Make your favorite butcher’s life a little better with the following.

Commercial-Grade Grinders and Stuffers

• Jerky Gun

Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener, as extolled by our own David E. Petzal

Hi-Mountain Breakfast Sausage Seasoning

Kitchen Stuff: While I like to encourage minimalism when it comes to kitchen gadgetry, I confess the materialist in me covets more than a few things promising to make my life better.

Lodge Seasoned Steel Skillet

Fish Breading Bowl

Root of the Earth Cutting Board

Jaccard Meat Tenderizer

• Instant-Read Kitchen Thermometer

Cookbooks: We all need a little inspiration now and then to try something new in the kitchen. Here are a few cookbooks (and one magazine) that I either have added to my bookshelf, or hope to soon. (Remember to support your local independent bookseller.

Hunt, Gather, Cook by Hank Shaw

The Homesick Texan by Lisa Fain

Ruhlman’s Twenty by Michael Ruhlman

Tartine Bread by Chad Robertson

Cook’s Country

So what’s missing? Any really-want or absolutely-need items that you’re adding to your Christmas list this year? Let me hear them.

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I picked up a copy of Cooking Wild Magazine a while back and have hinted about a subscription. I'm always on the lookout for recipes that don't necessarily involve the trinity of most game cooks (bacon, cream of mushroom soup, and deep frying).

from Casey Walker wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Levi
I picked up a "tastofhome" Hunting and fishing cookbook that has a lot of great recipes that are quick and don't have bacon, cream of mushroom soup or deep frying envolved. Dave this is fast becoming one of my favorit blogs. Especially this time of year when my freezer is starting to restock with birds and venison. If you are ever up in North Western Nebraska shoot me a message would love to show you a few of my spots and maybe talk you into a little cooking. LOL

from Hornd wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Would add a Weber Charcoal Chimney to Grilling Accessories.
Would add the LL Bean Game&Fish Cookbook to the Cookbook List.
Would add Epicurean Cutting Boards to the Kitchen Stuff.
Seems like a Vacuum Sealer should be a necessity for anyone that process game.
Wholeheartedly agree on the Cooks Country or Cooks Illustrated.
Curious why steel pan would be preferred over Cast Iron when Cast Iron spreads heat much evener?
Recall you saying you were a simple man and had a post about how few cooking utensils you need, but now promoting a battery powered $90 knife sharpener? Not looking to draw blood just curious?

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

I don't mean to imply there's anything wrong with those ingredients (techniques) specifically, just that they seem to be used a lot, I've used all but the cream of mushroom soup, never been a fan of it.

from Double D wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Casey - Sounds like you live just down, or maybe up, the road from me. I'm in the southern Panhandle. Just shot a limit of geese at Scottsbluff this morning. You're probably the guy I see at my secret turkey spot near Chadron every spring.

Levi - I hear you on the C.o.M soup. Probably worthy on a blog.

Hornd - Agree with you on all points. Wouldn't be caught dead without my charcoal chimney, or my vac-sealer. The first pan I bought for my college apartment many years ago was cast-iron and the only reason I use a different one today is because I inherited my Grandma Draper's, which had a probably 30 year or more jump on the seasoning process. But love my steel pan too for different tasks.
As for the knife sharpener, I'll be honest - I'm one of those folks that has trouble putting a good edge on a knife with just a stone. No, Work Sharp did not pay me or give me a free sharpener to put it on the list. I don't even own one, but freely admit to coveting Petzal's.

from Casey Walker wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Double D
My home base is in Rushville but I do have a goose pit down in the valley by Bridgeport. I can claim innocence on the turkey spot as I am too busy coaching track in the spring and my weekends are taken up with track meets durring spring turkey season. LOL

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Casey Walker wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Levi

from Hornd wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Would add a Weber Charcoal Chimney to Grilling Accessories.
Would add the LL Bean Game&Fish Cookbook to the Cookbook List.
Would add Epicurean Cutting Boards to the Kitchen Stuff.
Seems like a Vacuum Sealer should be a necessity for anyone that process game.
Wholeheartedly agree on the Cooks Country or Cooks Illustrated.

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

from Double D wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Levi - I hear you on the C.o.M soup. Probably worthy on a blog.

from Casey Walker wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago