Arctic Cat recently introduced its new 2014 Prowler 500 HDX series. This side-by-side line includes several features from the company's larger 700 series, but comes at the lower price point.
I got the chance to test drive the 500 HDX in Minnesota last week. It's a fun ride and a capable work machine. Handling is sporty even without electronic power steering (EPS is available on Limited EPS models). The simple controls and digital display make it easy for beginners to operate on the fly. All three models are powered by a 443cc liquid-cooled engine.
Sportsmen will definitely appreciate the tilting cargo box. It has a 600-pound cargo capacity and is large enough to fit plenty of hunting or fishing gear. The cargo box can also be converted into a flatbed.
The XT and Limited EPS models have added front storage with a 25-pound capacity. Front and rear 2-inch receivers give added flexibility when towing items.
- Sits three people
- 1,500-pound towing capacity
- Duramatic Automatic transmission with High, Low, Reverse and Park
- Electronic 2WD/4WD
- 10 inches of suspension travel front and rear
- 10 inches of ground clearance
- Engine braking
- Standard model comes in red or green; XT and Limited EPS available in Vibrant Red Metallic or Emerald Green Metallic bodywork