HUNTING BEST OF THE BEST
There are 11 categories in the Hunting division.
Deadline for submission is March 15, 2014.
1) All-Terrain Vehicles: ATVs and similar vehicles for outdoor recreation only (no racing), ATV accessories
2) Ammunition: Bullets, cartridges, shotshells, slugs, black powder, and muzzleloading projectiles
3) Boots: Footwear for hunting, shooting
4) Bowhunting: Bows (compounds, crossbows, longbows, recurves), arrows, broadheads, releases, other directly related items (blunt points, etc.)
5) Clothing: Hunting outerwear (including cold- and warm-weather clothing), rain gear, hats, gloves, vests for hunting, base layers
6) Firearms: Hunting handguns, muzzleloaders, rifles, shotguns
7) Knives: Fixed blades, folders, multitools, for hunting; knives designed for survival purposes
8) Optics: Binoculars, monoculars, rangefinders, riflescopes, shotgun scopes, spotting scopes
9) Technology: GPS units, mapping software, trail cameras, walkie-talkies, flashlights and headlamps, lanterns, related electronics
10) Trucks: Pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, appropriate accessories
11) Miscellaneous: Products that don’t fit within the other hunting categories, that straddle two categories, or that impact a number of areas. Examples: boats for hunting, hunting packs, outdoor cooking apparatus, shooting glasses, targets, tents, tools, treestands
FISHING BEST OF THE BEST **
There are 10 categories in the Fishing division. Deadline for submission is September 1, 2014.
1) Baitcasting Reels
2) Baitcasting Rods
3) Spinning Reels
4) Spinning Rods
5) Electronics (depthfinders, flashlights, GPS units, etc.)
6) Flyfishing Gear (fly rods, fly reels, fly line, fly vests, accessories)
7) Outerwear (waders, rain jackets, etc.)
10) General Accessories (tackle boxes, tools, vests, sunglasses, etc.)
RULES FOR QUALIFYING
1. Products and Technologies
The product or technology in Hunting division categories must be in stores and/or consumer catalogs, or have been announced, with a firm on-sale date, and that announcement or introduction must fall between June 1, 2013, and May 31, 2014, to qualify for the 2014 Best of the Best Awards in Hunting.
Products need not be sold in the United States. A product can be submitted for an underlying technology, such as an innovative braking system in an all-terrain vehicle, or a new trigger design in a rifle.
Products or technology in Fishing division categories must debut or be announced between October 1, 2013, and September 30, 2014, to be considered for the 2015 Best of the Best Awards. In addition, all products must also be available for editorial evaluation at the time of submission.
2. Entry Forms
Product or technology must be entered by filling out and submitting the entry form on fieldandstream.com. Applications for Hunting categories may be submitted until March 15, 2014. Applications for the Fishing categories may be submitted until September 1, 2014.
3. Product Submission
All products will be tested by members of our editorial staff. Please supply information with your application about how we can obtain the product for testing.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
The Best of the Best judging process is overseen by Deputy Editor Slaton White. For each product category, a Field & Stream editor will lead a panel of judges–veteran contributors who are experts in their fields.
We will consider every product entered, though judges may also consider products that have not been formally entered. The judges will winnow the entries to produce a list of candidates for each category. From this list, we will choose one Best of the Best Award winner in each group. The total number of winners in each category is based on merit and may change. Judging is final and confidential. There is no connection between advertising in the magazine or website and these awards.
Among the judging criteria are: the significance of the innovation; the quality of the design and the finished product; the originality of thought; and the ambition and scope of the project. These criteria will vary in accordance with the category. Complete entry forms are important in helping the judges understand the strategy and intent behind the development of the new product. Field & Stream will announce the winners in the Hunting division in the September 2014 issue as well as on the fieldandstream.com website. Field & Stream will announce the winners in the Fishing division in the March 2014 issue as well as on the fieldandstream.com website.
Winners will be required to sign a release form.
Lead Judge: Slaton White, Deputy Editor, Field & Stream
All-Terrain Vehicles: Lance Schwartz, Contributor
Ammunition: David E. Petzal, Field Editor; Phil Bourjaily, Field Editor
Blackpowder: Brad Fenson, Contributor
Boots: Slaton White, Deputy Editor
Bowhunting: Scott Bestul, Field Editor
Clothing: Keith McCafferty, Field Editor
Firearms: David E. Petzal, Field Editor; Phil Bourjaily, Field Editor
Knives: David E. Petzal, Field Editor
Miscellaneous: Slaton White, Deputy Editor
Optics: Thomas McIntyre, Contributing Editor
Technology: Slaton White, Deputy Editor
Trucks: Slaton White, Deputy Editor
Baitcasting Reels: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Baitcasting Rods: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Spinning Reels: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Spinning Rods: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Electronics (depthfinders, flashlights, GPS units, etc.): Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Lures: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Lines: Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
General Accessories (tackle boxes, tools, vests, sunglasses, etc.): Joe Cermele, Fishing Editor
Fly-fishing Gear (fly rods, fly reels, line, accessories): Ted Leeson, Contributing Editor
Outerwear (waders, rain jackets, etc.): Ted Leeson, Contributing Editor
Download the submission form here.