(1) .270 WSM -- By improving on the ballistics of the original .270, this could be the best deer round in the woods today.
(2) .270 Win. -- The standard bearer in deer cartridges. It is cheaper to shoot than the .270 WSM, but its ballistics aren't quite as good.
(3) .25-06 -- Gentler on the shoulder than the .270, but not quite as much energy or overall performance.
(4) .243 -- It's small. But light recoil helps you put shots exactly where they need to go.
(1) .30-06 - It's hard to argue against the 06 being the greatest hunting cartridge of all time. Deer included.
(2) .308 - Not quite as much speed or energy as the .30-06, but arguably more accurate.
(3) 7mm-08 - Flatter trajectory and more long-range energy than the .308, but with less recoil. Because it's not as popular as the .308, however, ammo is slightly less available.
(4) .30-30 - Its ballistics aren't the most impressive, but no one can argue with the historical results.