NC Poacher Hit With 2-Year, Worldwide Hunting Ban

We all know about the Interstate Wildlife Violaters Compact, the program between participating states that prevents wildlife violators in one state from hunting in any other compact member state. But federal prosecutors have gone a step (a big step) further by banning a North Carolina man from hunting anywhere in the world for two years.

From this story in The Salisbury Post:

A Salisbury resident has been banned from hunting anywhere in the world for two years as part of an agreement with federal authorities in Kentucky on charges that he illegally hunted in and took wildlife from that state. Rodney L. Poteat agreed to the ban in U.S. District Court in Kentucky last week, according to a Department of Justice press release. Reached at his Perryman Drive home Wednesday evening, Poteat declined to comment. He also agreed to pay the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources $5,300 in restitution, and $50 in special penalty assessments.

_
The restitution is to compensate the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources for the fees Poteat would have paid for hunting in Kentucky between 2002 and 2011, the press release said. Poteat was charged July 27 and sentenced Sept. 7. He received unsupervised probation. The hunting ban was a condition of that sentence, Justice Department statement said. According to federal authorities, on Nov. 27, 2010, Poteat transported a 14-point white-tailed deer from Hart County, Ky. to his home in Salisbury. Poteat was required to purchase a non-resident hunting license and deer permit prior to hunting in Kentucky. He also was required to report the harvest of any deer taken in Kentucky, and to make a report before transporting the deer outside of Kentucky._

Thoughts? Is this the wave of the future for habitual wildife violators, or is it more symbol than substance?