An Alabama turkey hunter was in the woods when a 6-foot timber rattlesnake bit him in the lower leg.
"[The] best way I can describe it as someone taking a full swing with a baseball bat and hitting me in my calf," Chad Cross said.
He slowed his breathing and pulled out the venom extraction kit that he's carried in his gear for years. He used a cup and plunger to create suction and pull out the venom.
When he spoke with a doctor at the hospital soon after, he learned he would have died without the $10 kit and his calm, quick-thinking.
More from WSFA 12 News.