In our recent writing about our trip to Colorado’s Roan Plateau, we mentioned the sad case of hunting guide and outfitter Ned Prather, who drank from a well on his own property and was poisoned by benzene from nearby gas drilling operations. Finally, the case has some resolution, and the state of Colorado has levied a record fine against Williams Production RMT Company. The [story from the Colorado Independent]( e-guzzling-gas-drilling-case) is well-worth a read, as Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission Director David Neslin describes “an unacceptable backlog of enforcement actions for various spills, some of them dating back several years.” — Hal Herring